DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    GM Truck Door Hinge Pins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM Truck Door Hinge Pins
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
My 98 K2500 needs the door hinge pins and bushings changed again. This isn't a high use truck mostly just to pull my race trailer. Last set was probably the HELP stuff sold at the parts stores. Anyone know of a better quality set? Anyone ever install the GM set with the zerk fittings?

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I bought a set from Amazon. No name brand.
Working well.

I will tell you that the door is heavy. Definitely a two person job, but you already probably know that if you did it once.

I'm just about to hit 300,000 miles on mine. Just broken in!

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
My 98 K2500 needs the door hinge pins and bushings changed again. This isn't a high use truck mostly just to pull my race trailer. Last set was probably the HELP stuff sold at the parts stores. Anyone know of a better quality set? Anyone ever install the GM set with the zerk fittings?

I friend recommend these to me. I haven't order yet.

https://www.cunninghammachine....mtn0E_xst74V0Yjo7JJQ

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a set in the attic my brother gave me, he was a parts man, knowing I would eventually need them. But alas my truck was totaled a couple of months ago. I'm thinking they are GM (should still be in a sealed packet) but can't say for sure.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I think I used a Dorman repair kit in my Malibu, back about 1988 though. Those hinges are still perfect. Smile

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have welded the holes up smaller and drilled them to size before that way their steel again or could weld some steel tubing into hole that pin fits in

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
GM bushings AND pins are a helluva lot better than Dorman. If you haven't already seen it, you can pull them in with a short bolt, nut and 1/2" compression nut, much better than trying to tap them in without cracking one.
GMT400's are bad about it but S10's are a lot worse, I have a few with wallered out holes that have to be welded back up before new bushings.

You're lucky yours isn't a 2000 GMT400, they went to a sorry ass plastic bushing that is unfindable. We used a 90 degree drill on ours and enlarged them to accept the conventional ones. What a PITA

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine...7%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-2
This is the GM kit I was looking at 19332887.
I've done a few of these doors by myself and I don't have one of those fancy door holders. I do know someone that does and it might be time to borrow it. We own 3 of these and they all need pins and bushings.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
An old towel and a cheery picker works well if it doesn't have vent shades.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post