Bracket Talk
GM Truck Door Hinge Pins

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/7897059896

July 11, 2022, 10:08 AM
Eman
GM Truck Door Hinge Pins
My 98 K2500 needs the door hinge pins and bushings changed again. This isn't a high use truck mostly just to pull my race trailer. Last set was probably the HELP stuff sold at the parts stores. Anyone know of a better quality set? Anyone ever install the GM set with the zerk fittings?
July 11, 2022, 11:30 AM
M120
I bought a set from Amazon. No name brand.
Working well.

I will tell you that the door is heavy. Definitely a two person job, but you already probably know that if you did it once.

I'm just about to hit 300,000 miles on mine. Just broken in!

Cool
July 11, 2022, 02:13 PM
SuperPro54
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
My 98 K2500 needs the door hinge pins and bushings changed again. This isn't a high use truck mostly just to pull my race trailer. Last set was probably the HELP stuff sold at the parts stores. Anyone know of a better quality set? Anyone ever install the GM set with the zerk fittings?

I friend recommend these to me. I haven't order yet.

https://www.cunninghammachine....mtn0E_xst74V0Yjo7JJQ
July 11, 2022, 04:31 PM
Canted Valve
I have a set in the attic my brother gave me, he was a parts man, knowing I would eventually need them. But alas my truck was totaled a couple of months ago. I'm thinking they are GM (should still be in a sealed packet) but can't say for sure.

Illegitimi non carborundum
July 11, 2022, 05:15 PM
Goob
I think I used a Dorman repair kit in my Malibu, back about 1988 though. Those hinges are still perfect. Smile

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
July 11, 2022, 05:41 PM
Top355x
I have welded the holes up smaller and drilled them to size before that way their steel again or could weld some steel tubing into hole that pin fits in
July 11, 2022, 06:41 PM
Busted Knuckles
GM bushings AND pins are a helluva lot better than Dorman. If you haven't already seen it, you can pull them in with a short bolt, nut and 1/2" compression nut, much better than trying to tap them in without cracking one.
GMT400's are bad about it but S10's are a lot worse, I have a few with wallered out holes that have to be welded back up before new bushings.

You're lucky yours isn't a 2000 GMT400, they went to a sorry ass plastic bushing that is unfindable. We used a 90 degree drill on ours and enlarged them to accept the conventional ones. What a PITA

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.
July 11, 2022, 08:41 PM
Eman
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine...7%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-2
This is the GM kit I was looking at 19332887.
I've done a few of these doors by myself and I don't have one of those fancy door holders. I do know someone that does and it might be time to borrow it. We own 3 of these and they all need pins and bushings.
July 11, 2022, 09:00 PM
NFC
An old towel and a cheery picker works well if it doesn't have vent shades.