Bracket Talk
Billet Intake Manifolds

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/7567077996

January 15, 2023, 02:22 PM
Al Alguire
Billet Intake Manifolds
$80,000 is a good starting point. My son wants to run S/C someday. just does not have the time with his job yet. Our lowly Mopar powered car has been 4.50/153 here in Vegas, have not been able to stretch its legs the full track but were hoping and thinking it would be able to top 180 here. A couple of guys here that run even 180 here in SC also run in S/P all out are a tick slower or right there where we are. But who knows til he gets the chance to try it.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero
January 15, 2023, 02:31 PM
imakehp
Hey Al, does Vegas run all the bracket races at 1/8 only?

Dave

F J B

January 16, 2023, 09:04 AM
TOP38
quote:
Originally posted by Kole Pritchett:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Dynos are only good for giving young men and the easily impressed erections! The time slip and scales tells the truth.

Def won’t disagree with this. I know the 588 sr20 has been 4.50 at 2700lbs on motors. So it is a stout piece. Looking forward to seeing what they are doing on this 615 dr9 head engine. Little shop but pretty good place up here.

Kole
Your 588 SR20 performance statement above is showing over 1450 HP. That is not possible with a SR20 head, not even with a 688 CID motor. A 588 making 1450 HP plus would need to make that HP at 9400 rpm's and that's assuming the head could even support the airflow required to make that much HP! With Peak power at 9400, a 588 CID motor is demanding 676 CFM of airflow per cylinder! If what you state is true then there was outside help to that motor such as NOS. Never mind a bracket deal making peak power at 9400 rpm's.
January 16, 2023, 11:10 AM
Alaskaracer
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
quote:
Dynos are only good for giving young men and the easily impressed erections! The time slip and scales tells the truth.

Def won’t disagree with this. I know the 588 sr20 has been 4.50 at 2700lbs on motors. So it is a stout piece. Looking forward to seeing what they are doing on this 615 dr9 head engine. Little shop but pretty good place up here.

Kole
Your 588 SR20 performance statement above is showing over 1450 HP. That is not possible with a SR20 head, not even with a 688 CID motor. A 588 making 1450 HP plus would need to make that HP at 9400 rpm's and that's assuming the head could even support the airflow required to make that much HP! With Peak power at 9400, a 588 CID motor is demanding 676 CFM of airflow per cylinder! If what you state is true then there was outside help to that motor such as NOS. Never mind a bracket deal making peak power at 9400 rpm's.

It could if Rietow built it and it has original chrome bumpers!!!! Laughing Hard Laughing Hard

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
January 16, 2023, 11:54 AM
Al Alguire
quote:

Well see my previous post. To show the potential, not budget friendly bracket deal but the POTENTIAL of the SR20 casting. Ill let you do the math, but we have a 615" SR20 that has been mid 7.60's at 180 at with one in NA10.5. We had a new combo debut at the end of the year that was done by Reher and Morrison that I belive will show its potential soon. Two races in and it was alrady flying and way overweight.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
January 16, 2023, 12:21 PM
1320racer

David Theisen
4.650 bore/4.500 stroke
Dart Big M
Slick Rick 20 degree heads
Cam 1.200” lift
Jesel valve train
9/16” pushrod
MGP aluminum rods
Diamond pistons
8,400 peak HP
7,000 peak torque
9400 rpm
1400HP

it's blown up a time or two too

These types of heads up engines require no less maintenance than those $150K Proline hemis running in NPK or the 959 cubic inches in Lizzy and Kye's cars.

AGAIN, NOT a bracket engine and again, there is no comparison to the SR20 head as these are one off big $ heads!
January 16, 2023, 12:26 PM
Al Alguire
Old info Ed. It is a 615 and has been for a couple of years. It has "blown up" once and that is this picture on the sling form a couple of years ago when it happened. It lost the crank. this past year it damaged a cylinder head but was fixed and back racing a few days later. It has certainly broke some parts as most heads up combos do especially when like Dave you are a front running. It has been 7.66 and those are SR20 castings.

As I have said more than once this is to show the potential of the head, they are cast by brodix, 9 degree stuff has been tried and shelved for various reasons. But I will let you know whne we see a 9 degree running up front or even the middle like we do. The engines are basically comp style engines for the most part, most just a little bigger like the one we run at 406. Although we could run A/SMA with it.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
January 16, 2023, 12:31 PM
1320racer
I know it's old and he lost a lot more than the crank but the facts I stated are the same. The SR20 casting that is used on countless bracket engines does NOT have this potential. Rick, starts with a raw casting per his spec then he locates everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJba4XoxIC0
January 16, 2023, 04:53 PM
TOP38
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
quote:

Well see my previous post. To show the potential, not budget friendly bracket deal but the POTENTIAL of the SR20 casting. Ill let you do the math, but we have a 615" SR20 that has been mid 7.60's at 180 at with one in NA10.5. We had a new combo debut at the end of the year that was done by Reher and Morrison that I belive will show its potential soon. Two races in and it was alrady flying and way overweight.

First, I never said what this combo can make for ultimate power! Let's start with your 615 making approximately 1400 hp or 2.27 HP/CID based on your performance and 2850 lbs. That said, it will make peak power in the 8400 to 8600 range to develop 1400 HP. Based on those facts and using 8500 RPM's, the motor needs 640 cfm through the entire intake system (Carb(s), intake and cylinder head. Anyone's SR20 casting and porting will not flow that number. Anyones! So, this means that combo is intake valve limited and you can't fix this fact, the only band aid, so to speak, is with the camshaft, open and close the intake valve as fast as possible. Certainly not a bracket combo, not even close. That's the deal. You aren't making 1300HP or more with a bracket combo'ed 615, SR20 over the counter CNC'ed ported cylinder head. BUT, I am sure there are dyno's out there will contradict that last statement! Cool
January 16, 2023, 04:55 PM
TOP38
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Kole

It could if Rietow built it and it has original chrome bumpers!!!! Laughing Hard Laughing Hard

Funny you should mention Big Grin this! I was honestly going to add that fact but decided to keep it civil!
January 16, 2023, 04:58 PM
TOP38
quote:
I know it's old and he lost a lot more than the crank but the facts I stated are the same. The SR20 casting that is used on countless bracket engines does NOT have this potential. Rick, starts with a raw casting per his spec then he locates everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJba4XoxIC0

Ed

We can call Rick's and other like this SR21 heads!!!! Cool
January 16, 2023, 08:55 PM
Alaskaracer
quote:
Funny you should mention Big Grin this! I was honestly going to add that fact but decided to keep it civil!

It's a dirty job.....hehehehehhehe

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer