DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster header question SBC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster header question SBC
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
In two weeks I will be able to go to a test and tune where I will be able to run the full quarter mile. Hopefully I will be able to get better data. Then I will make a plan. Right now I have a few 1/8 mile races to go to.

Don't get behind me,I'm in the slow lane.

Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
In two weeks I will be able to go to a test and tune where I will be able to run the full quarter mile. Hopefully I will be able to get better data. Then I will make a plan. Right now I have a few 1/8 mile races to go to.

It's not header problem, it's a gearing problem. Like I said previously you don't have a cookie cutter dragster combo where you're working with 7,800 - 8,000 rpm's as most, you're working with 8,800 rpm's that's a whole different ball game.

You can't just change the final ratio because you'll have too much starting line ratio over challenging the tire. That's the reason for the low gear adjustment as well as the final.

I'll say the converter slips 1/4 mile 12-13%, that's A LOT of multiplication to give up, it'll obviously hurt performance.

I did the equation with all the different scenario's I posted, you have the perfect converter in the car now once the gearing is optimized. If it ends up having the capacity to run above 175 mph once optimized , the 4.88 with either a 1.64 or 1.58 will be the hot ticket.

Run it 1/4 mile let us know the results, I'll run those numbers to better hone in on the best option. My guess is it'll go 170 mph leaving a lot on the table converter slipping 12-13%, depending on exact tire growth.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Like I said. Let me get some accurate data for the quarter mile. I have not made a good pass this year. Other than last Saturday in a first round loss. This way I can see what the convertor is slipping at in the quarter. Anything else is just a guess.

Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like I said. Let me get some accurate data for the quarter mile. I have not made a good pass this year. Other than last Saturday in a first round loss. This way I can see what the convertor is slipping at in the quarter. Anything else is just a guess.

No it's not a guess, it's math. I've done the math.

If it goes 170 mph converter will slip 12-13%

If it goes 175 mph converter will slip 8-9%

Either is giving up quite a bit of power at the back tire.

The only way to adjust any 7600 converter in your car is gonna be as I suggested.

It's all a guess for you.

Not a guess for me, it's math.

It's the same math converter companies used before racepak.

I don't need racepak, I know the math.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Scoop,

I have a Small block Mopar similar to what you're describing, but only 358 inches. It makes and HONEST 843 hp on the dyno. In my 4-link dragster, we have been 4.67 at 146 (8900) with a 5.67 gear and 7.45 at 179 (9050) with a 4.71 gear. The secret to making these motors run is "freeing up" the driveline to allow the little torque we have to move the car and then the Hp takes the car to big mph. All of tese performances are on a 33x10.5 tire and all required a 7" converter.

I noticed you said you'll be testing this week, maybe at MG? If you are, stop by and I'll be glad to chat with you and offer some ideas on your tune up.

Mike Novitsky
193E
Silver and Black Dragster

Posts: 5 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I will be at Mason-Dixon on Sunday for a points race. Then try to catch a test and tune the following week or If I don't work on Friday will be there Friday night. I have some other tuning issues with the carbs that I have to work on so I can get a clean pass the whole way down the track. Bob J

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zooom:
Scoop,

I have a Small block Mopar similar to what you're describing, but only 358 inches. It makes and HONEST 843 hp on the dyno. In my 4-link dragster, we have been 4.67 at 146 (8900) with a 5.67 gear and 7.45 at 179 (9050) with a 4.71 gear. The secret to making these motors run is "freeing up" the driveline to allow the little torque we have to move the car and then the Hp takes the car to big mph. All of tese performances are on a 33x10.5 tire and all required a 7" converter.

I noticed you said you'll be testing this week, maybe at MG? If you are, stop by and I'll be glad to chat with you and offer some ideas on your tune up.

Mike Novitsky
193E

That's some excellent insight to what Scoop is gonna be able to do with gearing. You have the 7" converter slipping around 6% both 1/8 and 1/4.

This means scoop's 8" diode converter will slip 1% at 180 mph crossing 8800 4.88 gear.

Gotta adjust low gear too though 8" converter.

I'd do a 1.64 if it doesn't over challenge the tire now 1.80 x 4.57 = 8.22 SLR

1.64 x 4.88 = 8.20 SLR

How we originally figured.

DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
I run a 400 inch small block with 18 degree heads in my FED and I do agree that you do need a 4.86 gear with that 33 inch tire to be quick ! I also run a 1.69 low gear ! It was hard to get it to leave well with the 1.80 ! 7 inch converter that stalls at 8200 ! Mine has twin terminators on a sheet metal intake ! My first thought when I saw your post is that your carbs are too big ! A big carb might show more power on the Dyno but might be quicker on the track with 2 smaller carbs ! Just my 2 cents !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill masiello:
I run a 400 inch small block with 18 degree heads in my FED and I do agree that you do need a 4.86 gear with that 33 inch tire to be quick ! I also run a 1.69 low gear ! It was hard to get it to leave well with the 1.80 ! 7 inch converter that stalls at 8200 ! Mine has twin terminators on a sheet metal intake ! My first thought when I saw your post is that your carbs are too big ! A big carb might show more power on the Dyno but might be quicker on the track with 2 smaller carbs ! Just my 2 cents !

These high rpm combo's are interesting, lots of potential for flying if you can get everything just right, imagine a bigger set of headers, geez, it would have killed it but I think Scoop may be ok 2" 2 1/8" step at 8,800 rpm.

https://youtu.be/FZ6zwnyDwUg
We have a 427 23 All Pro raised runner sbc we've been working quite a bit with the converter we're gonna spin 8,500 rpm plus, 1" lift cam.

I have two different transmission pumps and input shafts ready for the car we're gonna test to see which configuration the converter responds best , a hair more restrictive ringless input and pump, the other with rings with several mods in mind. This thing will be around 1150 1200 hp with the spray. I know exactly how I wanna run this thing so with the parts we have ready to go it'll only take a few licks to be optimized. We're just waiting on some cooler weather they don't typically run these 275 radial tire cars in the summer. Looks like Sept it kicks off.

Hey, thanks for your input Bill, interesting! I dig these high rpm combo's.

Bad azz 9" nitrous converter, kinda the same concept as 7" n/a high rpm. This is the perfect converter for what we're doing around 140 mph 1/8 mile 3,000 pds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
New gears in the rear and trans will happen over the winter. Now I just have to work on getting this thing to make a pass with out turning the spark plugs black. Bob J

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I can have all three things done by lunch tomorrow for a small fee.

Kidd'n Smile

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
9,000 rpm nitrous sbc valve train, 1400 on the seat.

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
Scoop I would definitely look at your black plug issue first, that will kill power at the start for sure. My dragster is a tick over 1800 lbs currently, 461" SB2.2, single carb, best has been a 4.71 @ 145, 7.54 @ 175. 1.04 60'. 4.30 gear, 16x32x15 MT's. Stall has been 6500-6900 with different converters, no change in performance.

What compression, what plug? What carbs?

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarkaudio:
Scoop I would definitely look at your black plug issue first, that will kill power at the start for sure. My dragster is a tick over 1800 lbs currently, 461" SB2.2, single carb, best has been a 4.71 @ 145, 7.54 @ 175. 1.04 60'. 4.30 gear, 16x32x15 MT's. Stall has been 6500-6900 with different converters, no change in performance.

So you shift 7800-8000rpm and cross 8200-8300-8400rpm slipping 5-6-7%?

I'm guessing based on stall.

I presume based on stall I should say.

Realistically, Scoops combo should run in the mid- high 4.60's. It's really a 1/4 mile combo though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zooom:
Scoop,

Mike Novitsky
193E

You gentlemen are not afraid of rpm. That's for sure! That's hustling.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scoop I would definitely look at your black plug issue first, that will kill power at the start for sure. My dragster is a tick over 1800 lbs currently, 461" SB2.2, single carb, best has been a 4.71 @ 145, 7.54 @ 175. 1.04 60'. 4.30 gear, 16x32x15 MT's. Stall has been 6500-6900 with different converters, no change in performance. 16 to 1 compression. R5671A-9 plugs. Two 1050's that originally came from APD that were gone over by somebody you know very well. Bob J

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Exhaust port size to 2 to 2 1/8 to a 3 1/2 merge to a 3 1/8 choke* to a 3 1/2 exit.

Call Calvin Elston to double check that though.
The current headers are 2 in to 2 1/8 in with a 3.5 in collector that 3 in at the merge and 4 in at the exit.

3" choke is not helping. What was the engine dyno'ed with?

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:You gentlemen are not afraid of rpm. That's for sure! That's hustling.

I turn my 665" 8000-8200

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Exhaust port size to 2 to 2 1/8 to a 3 1/2 merge to a 3 1/8 choke* to a 3 1/2 exit.

Call Calvin Elston to double check that though.
The current headers are 2 in to 2 1/8 in with a 3.5 in collector that 3 in at the merge and 4 in at the exit.

3" choke is not helping. What was the engine dyno'ed with?

The engine was dyno'ed with a 2 in to 2 1/8 in to a 4 in collector.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I put my old headers on that have the same primary tubes just a straight 3.5 in collector for this weekend.