DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster header question SBC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster header question SBC
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The trans cooler has regular Russell fittings. The fall back is 7600 RPM. I do have another convertor that is a little looser. The problem is not that it does not ET what it should, it also does not respond to tuning changes. That is why my engine guy thinks the collectors are the wrong size.

Don't get behind me,I'm in the slow lane.

Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What does it run now?

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
The trans cooler has regular Russell fittings. The fall back is 7600 RPM. I do have another convertor that is a little looser. The problem is not that it does not ET what it should, it also does not respond to tuning changes. That is why my engine guy thinks the collectors are the wrong size.

That's ok even so, make a short line and go from the inlet to the outlet, bypass the cooler. See what that does to the timeslip and data.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesz:
What does it run now?

The best so far was a 4.89 @ 139.8 MPH. This was at a track that goes a little up hill.

Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Scoop, what gear, tire and what rpm is it crossing 1/8 mile?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My 4 link dragster with a 429 sbc, 1 7/8 headers, 4.75 at 143 mph in 1/8'. The heads are spreadport but the headers are standard exhaust ports

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
4.57 gear Hoosier 15X33 DO6 tire 7800 RPM

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
4.57 gear Hoosier 15X33 DO6 tire 7800 RPM

So the converter is slipping 18% 1/8, is that what your data is telling you? Or no data?.

1/4 mile if it goes 170 mph, crossing 8800rpm it'll slip 11%.

Seems like it would be a little better there, who's converter is it? Sprag? Spragless? Built for the car?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I never check what the percentage of slippage is in the 1/8. Diode and was built for this combo.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never check what the percentage of slippage is in the 1/8. Diode and was built for this combo.

Slipping 18% 1/8 crossing 7800 seems like a little much pulling 1700 - 1800lbs.

4.89 139, it's on pace to go 170mph 1/4 mile.

Call em Monday and ask em if 17-18% 1/8 and 10-11% 1/4 mile is what they had in mind.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You actually have something here you have a lot of leeway as far as gearing goes because of the potential for rpm with this engine.

I'd have to figure it up but you could do something like a 1.64 low gearset to keep the starting line ratio the same with like a 4.88 - 5.00 final gear to tighten the converter slip up at the stripe. Car would fly 8800 stripe rpm converter near one to one with engine.

Talk to the torque converter builder, this may be what he has in mind for this combo.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I figured it up for ya.

You could put a 1.64 low with a 5.00 final gear and have the same starting line ratio you have now 8.20.

If it crosses 175 mph, the converter you have now slips near zero depending exact tire growth 8800rpm.

Something like this is what you're gonna need to do, to adjust the converter correct, in order to run exceptional.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Like I said before, I do have another convertor that was built when this engine had one carb on this intake. I will give it a try first. easier to swap out plus I already have it.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like I said before, I do have another convertor that was built when this engine had one carb on this intake. I will give it a try first. easier to swap out plus I already have it.

It'll never work. You'll be wasting time and burning fuel for no reason.

When it's optimized it'll be 4.65-70 1/8 and approaching 180 mph 1/4 mile crossing 8800 rpm converter near one to one with the engine.

1.58 low
4.88 final, 771 starting line ratio

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don't have $8000 for what you want me to do. Add it up. New center section, new convertor, and a new gear set in the trans. Spending that much money right is not in the cards.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have $8000 for what you want me to do. Add it up. New center section, new convertor, and a new gear set in the trans. Spending that much money right is not in the cards.

The converter you have now is perfect, you must've misunderstood.

You need a 4.88 gear and a Sonnax 1.58 low.

I can have done by lunch > sarcasm.

That's the only way you're going to be able to adjust the converter. Any 7600 converter.

1.58 low and a 4.88 gear.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Most Super Pro Bracket dragsters have

1.80 x 4.10 = 738 starting line ratio

1.80 x 4.30 = 774

Some

1.80 x 3.89 = 702

You

1.80 x 4.57 = 822

You could do

1.58 x 5.00 = 790

1.64 x 5.00 = 820

1.58 x 4.88 = 771

1.58 x 500 = 790 starting line ratio.

All these combos will have the converter close to one to one with the engine at the stripe with the converter you have in it now.

If you think it's gonna go 178 mph I'd go with a 4.88.

How much does the car weigh?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is why the car is a dud right now.

You do this it'll adjust the converter correct and fly.

You don't have enough final gear for the potential for rpm, you're working with.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I forgot one option.

1.64 x 4.88 = 800 SLR

Depending on weight (speed 178 mph) I might go this route if it were mine, if it 60's decent now 1.06 1.05 ish and doesnt seem to over challenge the tire.

Transmission Specialties makes a 1.64 rated 2,000hp. They're in Aston Pa.

I can save ya a few bucks on that from them.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Scoop you need more final gear.

If your engine spins 8800 rpm 1/4 mile.

Do you think it will go quicker/faster if the driveshaft spins 8800 rpm at the stripe, same as the engine?

Or do think it will go faster if the driveshaft spins at a rate 12% less than 8800 rpm, which would be 7744 rpm at the stripe?