DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Jones Cams anyone
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jones Cams anyone
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Straub is another Internet forum self proclaimed expert and salesman. Another guy who’s customers are the Internet street/strip crowd and low buck bracket racer. You ain’t going to find his cams in the professionally built engines of the competitors in any class at the Big Go either!

If you want or need cutting edge camshaft technology, LSM aka Steve Lowe is the go to guy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, Nice to get some actual info from some folks here instead of line of BS that has nothing to do with question asked.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What part of the truth and the facts don’t you like?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Thanks Mark, Nice to get some actual info from some folks here instead of line of BS that has nothing to do with question asked.

Anytime....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1489 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

Banjo has the second fastest 1/8 mile n/a sbc time slip on the planet, non raised runner conventional 23 degree head at 3200 lbs, on a 10" tire.

He runs a Jones cam.

His sbc made 775 hp on the dyno.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
No Photo (Edit this to add one!) Chris McBride (M) from Greensboro, North Carolina USA (Comp Nr/Finish: 23) 1997 - Category: ALKYDRAG, Type: DN, Class: TA/D, Div: 2
"Chris McBride" Owned by Chris McBride from Greensboro, North Carolina USA Crew Chief: Chris McBride
'90 Dragster by Al Swindahl | Powered by Supercharged Alcohol 482 TFX-92 Hemi by Chris McBride with 3 speed manual transmission
1/4 Mile ET: 5.901 at Richmond VA 97 1/4 Mile MPH: 231.00 at Richmond VA 97
1000 FT ET: Unknown at Unknown 1000 FT MPH: Unknown at Unknown
1/8 Mile ET: 3.790 at Unknown 1/8 Mile MPH: 199.85 at Unknown

COPIED FROM DRAGLIST' Yes it is down list but then it proves that again on site idiot speaks of shyt he knows nothing about. Has name license number .
So yes have driven and tuned alcohol cars and if you are at Charlotte stop by pits(car number 2631) where I am helping with A/fuel car my brother is driving from a friend that worked with us back when I had alcohol car.

Almost 25 years ago and still faster than Wanna-be has ever been.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
775 hp for a conventional headed 23 degree sbc is a lot of hp in comparison to most sbc engines of the same category.

I almost bought a Jones camshaft when I saw it made 775 hp, if it weren't for a long time friend I knew from when he was with Comp, then Lunati and Bullet at the time I was in the market for a sbc camshaft, I would have bought a Jones.

Jones knows exactly what he's doing.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Just for clarity. It was 750. When I order the cam, I told him my priorty was longevity of the valve train parts and was willing to sacrifice power to get that. My goal was 650hp. It more than surpased my goals and expectations. In probably 2500+ passes, I have broken one valve spring which was at a 1000 passes on them. All the other springs tested good.

So i am very happy with it as i run my car hard. Last weekend, i had 19 passes on it weekend before i had 18. It has proven to be a very durable set up.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
And that is less than 700 lift.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Well considering it is within 4 degree of crane I want but like most thing not in stock same as cores for anyone else to grind. I figure I can sale my cam it still very popular grind in blown alcohol class although limit due to journal size. Than I can wait 2,3 or what ever months to get new one. I can just have one I have reground to almost same as crane and even if off little it will be closer than blower cam I have in the car.

Mike spec'd a cam that I feel has too much duration on exhaust. He told me how far he could fo with this one and I landed close to my pick and little less than his. Beside if it does not work perfect it is just shoe polish racing anyway and I will know hey thats wrong grind.

To Banjo point I picked less lift and known it will cost some power,but better than beating vlvetrain to death, I am not below 700 but well below tha 850 spec'd.Plus less lift means more piston to valve and more compression I can stuff in this winter with new pistons. >050 valve pocket depth is about 2.cc's on intake and 2 cc's on exhaust side. 4 cc's would be .5 more compression .

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
Just for clarity. It was 750. When I order the cam, I told him my priorty was longevity of the valve train parts and was willing to sacrifice power to get that. My goal was 650hp. It more than surpased my goals and expectations. In probably 2500+ passes, I have broken one valve spring which was at a 1000 passes on them. All the other springs tested good.

So i am very happy with it as i run my car hard. Last weekend, i had 19 passes on it weekend before i had 18. It has proven to be a very durable set up.

Banjo, Your combination really works well and that is good power from 406. I also was willing to sacrifice some peak power for longevity.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Think I will just order one and wait till they get some cores to grind. If new grind does not work then Screwed into waiting more. I know cam I have works already showed that.It is just not optimal.

I have call in at Comp also on getting one and going to try bullet.

Yea finding one for BBC would be hell of lot easier,but wheres the fun in that,LOL

DRR Trophy
Picture of Harry's Taxi-2
posted Hide Post
Verify the duration is what it's supposed to be. The last Jones i got was -5* on the intake lobe.(the last Bullet was off -3* on the intake)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Harry's Taxi-2,

"Trust the Plan"

Posts: 28 | Location: Newville Pa | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bullet is the place to go if you want 30 year old Rebranded cam designs from ultradyne.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
FYI, I never said Jones doesn't make good stuff. His didn't run well in my combo even after he said it would pick up. I trust Billy at comp because he's got cams in some of the fastest cars in the world....and those aren't from the sales person on the help line either.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1489 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Like I state earlier. I am having a cam ground to my specs and yes they are almost the same as one of crane's cams.I would buy the Crane if available,but thanks the panicademic it is not and no telling how long before it is.

Always dbl check spec's on cams when installing them. No I do not just check that intake is installed where spec'd I check open and close opf both and centerlines. Then I check cranking compression in cpl positions along with piston to valve in those positions. In case nobody has noticed I am not good at trusting others opinion of what is best w/o checking both sides of argument.

One main reason I want to get cam sooner rather than later is to see how much room I have to increase compression for pistons I want to get this winter.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Luvtruck
posted Hide Post
I originally had BULLET spec me a cam and it ran good but felt they left some ET on the table with what they sent me.....contacted Mike and he built me a cam way different than my Bullet cam and it picked up a tenth just like he said it would.....just my experience.

Posts: 242 | Location: Vanceboro NC | Registered: February 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of how much you gain from one grind to the other is simply combination and how close or far off one cam is. If I get cam ground to m spec and it does nt work than its all on me as long as cam grinder did accurate job.

I also think how good cam recommendations are depends a lot on accuracy of info given. Just because a piston is suppose to be 13:1 does not make it 13:1 in your head with gasket you used and in block that may or may not be exact Hight piston was figured for. Without actual flow bench numbers you have ruff idea but not exact numbers heads flow,