DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Jones Cams anyone
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jones Cams anyone
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Further, claims 35 years experience and he can’t spec his own can no mind out of all the cam companies he choses an Internet forum guru/salesman. Didn't think of that

Meanwhile I’m at Indy and I’ll guarantee, you’d be hard pressed to find 2 cars with a Jones cam in their engine and if you did, mostly likely it would be one of the 45 S/ST cars and it would not be running at the front of the class. His customer base is the Internet forum street/strip crowd and do it yourself low buck bracket racer.

On the other hand, it is your claim, like you, the people you race with have no mechanical abilities, so you and the people you race with turn to people who do, for engines and transmissions.

These are none other than your claims, and with that being said, it's not like you're gonna have any say on which brand cam the builder uses.

Jones designs, builds and distributes camshafts for many forms of racing, you on the other hand build nothing admittedly. If anyone is a internet guru know nothing, it is you. But this is typical of you, projecting yourself on others.

You're at Indy, big deal, it's not like you gotta know anything about drag racing, to be at Indy. There's a bunch like you, you race with, remember your claims?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Says our resident retard^^^ with a mid 6 second 1/8th mile cut up shyt box sporting triple chrome plated bumpers whose claim to fame is winning at his local duck pond 8 years ago Spitting

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I can go 5.90's off the trailer two weeks after I tell ya I'm gonna go 5.90's

Or I can go 6.41 off the trailer, two weeks after I tell ya I'm gonna go 6.41.

Just depends what I feel like doing.

With chit I build.... It's called drag racing Skillz Smile

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Did I say he spec'd the cam? Nope I gave him specs I had and he suggested adding 5 degrees to the exhaust side. Amazing how some know everything and yet don't know shyt.Oh sorry they do know shyt it is taking up space between their ears.

Again Ed does not like them and thats best advertisement they could ask for. Now Ed go anally pleasure yourself with log red cylindrical piece with short sparkly string in one end, lite the string and have a bang.

I can promise you nowhere in any post did I ask for advice on how to race a checkbook or what your engine builder told you was in your engine. Why? Because I do not give a damn.

Respond as you like conversation is over.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Did I say he spec'd the cam? Nope I gave him specs I had and he suggested adding 5 degrees to the exhaust side. Amazing how some know everything and yet don't know shyt.Oh sorry they do know shyt it is taking up space between their ears.

Again Ed does not like them and thats best advertisement they could ask for. Now Ed go anally pleasure yourself with log red cylindrical piece with short sparkly string in one end, lite the string and have a bang.

I can promise you nowhere in any post did I ask for advice on how to race a checkbook or what your engine builder told you was in your engine. Why? Because I do not give a damn.

Respond as you like conversation is over

Milk dripping from man boobs Ed is on his high horse again, at Indy.

Indy is like any other race, all you need is a check to get in.

In Ed's case it's a big check, because admittedly Ed knows nothing about drag racing, so he pays those who do, and you know that won't come cheap.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've never bought anything from Jones, but I read Jones, he's smart.

I'll tell who builds a nice camshaft, new to my awareness, is Clay Smith.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I did buy a Jones cam once. Was a nice piece, but was a tenth and a half slower in my stuff over my comp cams piece....Zero changes to combo except for cam, both installed the same....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Coloradoracer…KNOWS!

Meanwhile, I’m right where I want to be, at the BIG GO competing with the Who’s Who of NHRA Sportsman racers who too write checks to their professional engine builders, trans builders, carb builders and car builders. I’ve been looking since Wednesday for one engine or one transmission built by our resident retard yet I can’t find one in any class, but then again, they don’t have s duck class here. Also haven’t seen one alcohol team with an engine built by nor tuned by our resident wanna alky racer who was never a driver.

Oh and here’s a little tidbit from the pits….the tire run by the majority of Top Dragster racers here is Hoosier of course!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’m try to stop him from blowing up his engine.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD1964:
I’m try to stop him from blowing up his engine.

My question for you was what kind of hp are we looking at here, on this n/a methanol combo?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
With that pump and heads on that engine, I would guess 750-800

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I would love to hear how cam choice, too big a head or pump size unless big enough to hydraulic is going to cause engine to blow. Run bad yes.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
No Photo (Edit this to add one!) Chris McBride (M) from Greensboro, North Carolina USA (Comp Nr/Finish: 23) 1997 - Category: ALKYDRAG, Type: DN, Class: TA/D, Div: 2
"Chris McBride" Owned by Chris McBride from Greensboro, North Carolina USA Crew Chief: Chris McBride
'90 Dragster by Al Swindahl | Powered by Supercharged Alcohol 482 TFX-92 Hemi by Chris McBride with 3 speed manual transmission
1/4 Mile ET: 5.901 at Richmond VA 97 1/4 Mile MPH: 231.00 at Richmond VA 97
1000 FT ET: Unknown at Unknown 1000 FT MPH: Unknown at Unknown
1/8 Mile ET: 3.790 at Unknown 1/8 Mile MPH: 199.85 at Unknown

COPIED FROM DRAGLIST' Yes it is down list but then it proves that again on site idiot speaks of shyt he knows nothing about. Has name license number .
So yes have driven and tuned alcohol cars and if you are at Charlotte stop by pits(car number 2631) where I am helping with A/fuel car my brother is driving from a friend that worked with us back when I had alcohol car.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and now our resident non bracket racer, wannabe alky racer wants to bring you back to 1997, 24 years ago and the one hit he made. BlahBlah Laughing very hard clapping

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
With that pump and heads on that engine, I would guess 750-800

That’s usually -1/2 pump size or around 5.5 gpm if my memory serves. How’s he going to go lean?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please double your pump size or you will be to lean. Lean is not nice on these engines. I would shoot for 12-13 Gpm.
The A/fuel engines need rpm. It’s something the the old fuel engines don’t have. He said he was thinking of going 526/540. The pistons for those are just to massive. Need to stay 4.187 to lower rotating mass.
Not sure how he got down to 78cc from 175. It doesn’t make sense. You would have to take a massive amount of the heads.

Yea by those 4.310 pistons are freaking huge compared to a 4,250. Man how did they stay in motor spinning 9500 rpm for a whole season running TA/FC? Now 5.40 would require another .065 bore, Still hell of lot less than 4.500 to 4.600 a lot are running. Besides if running a 4.187 bore you have to have ton of dome to get any compression. I know I have done it, wasn't best approach.

If I put a 12 gallon pump on this car it will need two 200 bypass jets .Hell 12 is what nostalgia cars run with 100% in the tank. Ok 11.6 flow out of a 20 gpm pump that is restricted to meet rule. NHRA TA/D A fuel ewngine runs 35 gpm. Burns 5 to 5.5 gallons per pass. I never said I was running a/fuel setup at this time. I do have one and will play with but need clutch and reverse, I have the titanium can already.

I never said the heads where 78cc'c I said the poured volume was 78 cc's. Maybe swept volume is wording you are looking for. I assemble engine level it and pour into plug hole. When done correctly it will tell you exactly how many cc's are in chamber when piston is at TDC. From there you can calculate compression very easy and w/o accumulative error .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I did buy a Jones cam once. Was a nice piece, but was a tenth and a half slower in my stuff over my comp cams piece....Zero changes to combo except for cam, both installed the same....
question. Did you spec cam or did he. If he did .Did he do anything about it or say Tuff crap?
Try finding a cam right now especially for raised cam Hemi.

What I have will work fine, but it is not optimal and I knew that when I popped it in. It is a blower cam and not a NA cam and has too much duration. Extra EQ will help car out of hole.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
reread TD1964 post.

First off A/fuel engines do not need rpm. Blower motors need rpm. A/fuel guys run very low about 7500 to 8000 rpm that is why only things you need to do between round is yank clutch(340* plus Ask how I know) and maybe roll some bearing in her if she dropped cpl holes . Blower motors replace springs every weekend at best and A/fuel almost never needs springs. Blower guys are spinning 9500 to 11000 which is why they all built short stroke motors so they could spin blower faster with NHRA OD limit and still make the air.

If not mistaken td1964 is same fella I talked with earlier in year. Seems his reading is hit and miss as much as hearing on phone. No disrespect meant but really rad post before advising.

Someone please show where I was begging anyone for advice on which cam to run. The question I asked was . Has anyone here used Jones cams camshafts. More specifically I was wondering about his regrinds. Not which cam I should have.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
question. Did you spec cam or did he. If he did .Did he do anything about it or say Tuff crap?
Try finding a cam right now especially for raised cam Hemi.

What I have will work fine, but it is not optimal and I knew that when I popped it in. It is a blower cam and not a NA cam and has too much duration. Extra EQ will help car out of hole.

Mike spec'd the cam. I gave him the cam card from the cam I had and he told me what he would do to fix it, said it was way off what he would do. I paid him and told him go...Got the new cam, installed per his recommendations, car was slow....installed it same as old cam, 1.5 tenths slow...that was the best I could get. Put old cam back in, car right back where it was before the swap....He did say I would pick up about a tenth..but it went the other way....I also gave him all the data on the heads and everything I had.

On a side note, my head guy isn't far from him....I asked him about his cams...He's heard of him, but doesn't know anybody that runs his stuff....Most of the really fast stuff he knows about runs Comp and Bullet...I get comp because my head guy and Billy at comp are good friends, and Billy is the one the spec's mine...

I never said anything to him. Just considered it a mistake to never make again. Cost me $600ish to find out....won't spend it again. I'm gonna rub some feathers the wrong way here, but I kinda put him in the same category as Chris Straub......He makes a good product, and has some stuff running well out there, but I gotta agree with Ed on this, if they were as good as they say they are, you'd see them everywhere, and you don't......

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI, my first build ran an Erson cam. It was a damned good cam and performed better than the Comp I had ground for it. I got the Erson used off another racing buddy....I've had very good luck with them in the past, but not sure how well they do now....

Mark Goulette