Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer tires
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Shawn8586
posted
I was wondering if anybody has put a bigger trailer tire on a 28-foot trailer and going from a 15 inch wheel to a 16-inch wheel with any clearance problems

Shawn Carpenter

Shawn's Body Shop And Powder Coating
252-567-4464

Posts: 103 | Location: Elm City,N.C. | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just went through this same thing myself. I got tired of dealing with the 15" wheel and tire package. I have a 1998 Pace trailer with 3 axles, that was running a 15"x7" wheel with a 225/75R15 tire. This trailer does not have the large wheel boxes on it like the new ones do.
Wheel was ordered through Summit part # UWC-062-6683K 16"x6" Aluminum Wheel (I have 6 lug axles)
Tires are Michelin XPS Rib 225/75/R16 run @80lbs
Valve Stems NAPA Part# 90-416, I don't want any sort of rubber valve stem, just me.
This combo fills up the wheel well but has had no rubbing issues.
I've towed from SW Florida to Virginia, Bristol and back and had no issues.
Hope this helps

Posts: 6 | Location: Cape Coral, Florida | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Shawn8586
posted Hide Post
Are those tires trailer tires or light truck tires and do you have torsion axles or leaf spring axles also what kind of clearance do you have at the top of the tire to the wheel box. I've been calling around to some local folks and I've been getting several different answers so I'm kind of in between on what to do. I have found a 15 in 12 ply tire that's new on the market made by Hercules thought about trying it.

Shawn Carpenter

Shawn's Body Shop And Powder Coating
252-567-4464

Posts: 103 | Location: Elm City,N.C. | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The tires are LT tires, there a commercial tire. Axles are torsion. I’ll measure the tire clearance at the top tomorrow for you, but I doubt it’s much over 2”. It’s pretty tight but it doesn’t rub. I just got tired of buying 15” tires, tried several ones, had the best luck with Maxxis. The Michelin tires I bought are night and day difference over the Maxxis 10 ply. I know it’s more money to switch over but once you do your tire issues go away. I put if off for a long time but don’t regret it at all, wish I would of done it sooner.

Posts: 6 | Location: Cape Coral, Florida | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
My 28' Pace has 16" wheels with torsion axles. Plenty of clearance but it will make your trailer higher. I just bought 4 new wheels and tires, sold my old ones for 1/2 the cost as 16"'s are easy to sell to horse and cattle people.
https://knoxville.craigslist.o...mper/6908232195.html

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Shawn, I run 15" with Gladiator trailer tires with no issues. I have had 2 flats due to punctures with road debris, but you can't blame the tire for that. I doubt i could fit a 16 on mine but i am happy with my 225/75 Gladiator's.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I had a 28ft classic a bunch of years ago that was notorious for blowing tires. I finally changed to 16s and the problem was gone. You will need to check fender clearance. Mine was close. Lucky for me at the time I had a friend that let me try tires to check clearance.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1988 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You should look at the new Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 trailer tire that came out last year. Made in USA and these are Speed Rated (N) to 87 mph.

Slightly higher cost but definitely higher quality.

Most trailer tires are only speed rated to 65 mph and made in third world countries or Communist country.

Posts: 2441 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
I did shawn no issues.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
I went with load e Lt tires

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
A 225 Lt 16 is slightly taller than a 225 ST 15.
I had to, or just thought it would be better I added one inch spacers between the pads to raise the axles up to give more clearance in the wheel boxes. But nothing has rubbed to date.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
I switched to 16s on my previous trailer, a 28 Vintage. I found some 215-16s in 10 plu, that held up very well, and never had any clearance issues, even at 9300lbs. I had the 2nd set on it when I sold it.
3 blowouts on first (+300 mi road trip on the 15s. 2 more on second. I switched to the 16s and had 1 flat, in 4 yrs.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I went out and measured my tire clearance on my trailer. I have 2” between the top of the tire and the wheelwell. No rubbing issues. There is only 1” of difference between the tire diameters I switched between. 225/75-15 to the 225-75-16. When I made the switch, I bought one wheel/tire to check the fit, liked what I saw and ordered 5 more.

DRR Trophy
Picture of deadon1578
posted Hide Post
I replaced mine with the new Goodyear 15" load range "E" also replaced valve stems that are rated for higher pressure, this is on a triple axle 30'Vintage tag. no issues, and this was last year. I think they were like $100 a piece

Posts: 46 | Location: md | Registered: July 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Goodyear’s.

Had Goodyear Marathons and never lost one.

Treads were looking real bad after getting home from a race. Tires were on there for a good 4-5 years.

Bought the new Goodyear Endurance E rated 15’s and they’ve been fine and look good after a couple years. Not a lot of miles or trips though.

Just not out racing much anymore....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I went to 225/85 16s a couple of years ago. All my tire problems went away. I had to buy new wheels as my trailer has 5200 lb axles. I just tow at 68 MPH or so as that seems to be where I get my best fuel mileage.

The Alloy wheels I bought had 0 offset. While I have plenty of clearance .5" positive offset would have looked a little nicer.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Maxxis trailer tires outlast anything else I have tried. I run the 16 inch tires and wheels on a 28 foot Haulmark Edge. One of the original equipment aluminum wheels did crack after a few years. That was scary.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
If you have a dragster or a very low door car, taller trailer tires will aggravate the difficulty loading your car possibly.

With 15” trailer tires my dragster drags the frame at the door to trailer area if I don’t jack it up high enough.

Add taller tires and that gets worse.

My trailer has a flat floor.

My old trailer/car was even worse. Car was lower and tires were shorter

That trailer also had 15” tires

The 16” option is a good overall remedy though.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I had good year marathons and slung the treads off the carcass on 3 before 1000 miles . Tore up fenders , black marked up trailer sides , etc . Goodyears are good for burning trash piles in the south lol ...firestone lt series ... done !

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
The Goodyear endurance tires are holding up well on my open trailers, but I'd never run anything but 16 or 17.5s on an enclosed trailer. A tire that is 2" taller only raises the trailer 1". If height is an issue, a 215 series 16" tire works well, just not as much capacity.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post