DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    why methanol and big motor lose hp
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why methanol and big motor lose hp
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
the more efficient the engine is the less difference you will see on switching from gas to alcohol. On real efficient engines you will actually lose power. On the larger displacement motors on alcohol the fuel saturation in the port the fuel starts separating out of the air stream. the air stream cannot support it (keep it atomized). Can't fight the laws of physics.
Digest this and you will have your answer, especially the last sentence.

Ron

In any given motor, you need x fuel ad y air so that ratio is a fixed given. So other than some of the factors I stated, why are you saying the alky comes out on larger motors and not on smaller ones when the AF is the same? Just wondering about your logic here? Ya, more hp means more fuel but more air also.... In either case if designed correctly, you'd have the same amount of fuel and air in a given port per unit of volume.
. As the size of the motor increases so does the required fuel demand. For alcohol we have already doubled the fuel requirement. This mass (weight) increases as the engine size goes up. It takes X amount of energy to keep this mass suspended in the air stream. As the engine size increases the port becomes less and less efficient (fuel mass/resistance/gravity). This line is not linear as engine size increases but continues to widen. I don't know how to explain it any better. So,.......happy racing.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
IIRC, there was a good write up about big inch motors and alcohol, on DRR, somewhere. I think it was a dyno session with John Kyle/APD.... it was pretty good. I think it mentioned it did better adding exhaust duration to make it show the better potential.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
In 2013 I took my motor to PAR for a freshen up and to change cams to his PAR 5. Scott took the time to discuss some possible changes to the combo and I wanted to have the motor dynoed. He told me that usually a gas carb would make more power on the dyno than alky but most times the motor would make more torque on alky. He broke my motor in on gas and did only one pull with it on gas with no tuning and it made 1110 horsepower. He then installed my Rons terminator and with some tuning it made 1143 horsepower on alky. The torque number were up across the board as well. I have always run alky and will continue to on my 2nd dragster but I am trying a 2.400 APD gas carb this year. I have ordered it from Scott Duggins at PAR and awaiting its arrival while my motor is being freshened. I ran a best of 4.56 @ 150 last April with injection. I will try and post some comparisons as I gather data over the next few month with some tuning. I have always run 32 degrees timing with alky. What would be recommended for gas? This will be the first time I have ran gas since 2003so I am interested in seeing what happens with this change.

2010 Silver Dollar Raceway Track Champ
2005,2006,2009 Super Pro points runner up

Posts: 315 | Location: Warner Robins, Georgia | Registered: August 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For information the car is a 246 inch M&M dragster with beadlocks and weighs around 1975 with me in it.

Posts: 315 | Location: Warner Robins, Georgia | Registered: August 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
either you or the car gained 10 lbs. over the holidays. Laughing very hard

quote:
Originally posted October 26, 2017 05:43 PM by coolroy:
Motor is steel block 632 with Head Hunter 395 MC heads, cam is a Par 5 and pistons are Weisco Quick 16. At 1965 lbs with me in it I have run a best of 4.56 at 150.

So is it that PAR 5 cam, the fti converter or the emp-tees. Laughing Hard

Nonetheless, I'm not impressed. NahNahTounge

I've run the same on gas with a Pro Systems 1250, with 17 less cubes, smaller and non moved centered heads, weighing 10 lbs, more and at Numidia, the slowest track in the division whose actual elevation is 1000 feet above sea level.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm so impressed Ed, thanks. I already told you to bring your stuff to Ga, we can have a heads up race also if you want.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you should be, now you know you've got a nothing special pile of shyt.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bring your junk to Georgia and we will have a heads up race, I will let you pick your lane. Like I said I can beat you inside the track or outside the gate. Either one you want.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
another internet tough guy. Newsflash, you won't beat on the track with your nothing special pile of shyt or off the track.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bring it Ed, your just a nut sack swinging ****** head. I'm not hiding behind a keyboard I can back up what I say. Come find out. We can film it and put it on bracket talk the favorite video would probably be outside the gate

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
be careful of what you ask for. Your beating both on and off will bring 200,000 hits tough guy.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed I know a guy you had a beer with in New York and also a guy you talked to on the phone when his friend was with you in New York. Guy that meet you actually said you were a nice guy, on the internet however your an azz. I posted facts here told me by a professional. If you think your stuff is faster than mine bring it to Georgia and lets race heads up. Its simple

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Where is your track championship Ed? You ever won one?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
don't care who you know or about your nothing special pile of shyt.

Didn't state my junk faster, stated I've run the same on gas with less engine.

Got no reason to come to Georgia anytime soon, was there 1 year ago. That said, I'm easy to find every weekend at the best track in NHRA Division 1.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Cause your chicken Ed, its alright. Why don't you go change your tampon, I'm sure your tudy hurts.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
what part of the truth and the facts don't you like about your nothing special pile of shyt?

You're pathetic.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Change your tampon Ed, your getting irritable

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
wipe the drool from your chin, my car's performance on gas proves you're clueless and your junk on alky injection sub par, pun intended!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You ever posted that ticket Ed, that 4.56? You are always on people to stay on track of what the topic is about. Shouting truth and fact I did just that however you couldn't take it when your monthly flow increased and you wouldn't change your tampon. I spoke that an top engine builder said usually a big cubic engine would make more power than alky when tuned. I stated we didn't tune the gas on mine and instead tuned the alky.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
again, your junk on alky injection is a nothing special pile of shyt.