DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Glide Wedding Ring
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glide Wedding Ring
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
Second one that I have run into like this. The wedding ring is jammed about mid-way of the input shaft. What should I look for as the cause? This is a straight cut gearset if it makes any difference.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
Second one that I have run into like this. The wedding ring is jammed about mid-way of the input shaft. What should I look for as the cause? This is a straight cut gearset if it makes any difference.

china splines?

Wing Wong Ching Chong manufacturing.

Post a photo

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
It’s brass and can easily get deformed enough to cause that. Look close at the input shaft splines and the inside of the ring for issues and clean up with a fine tooth round edge file.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chasracer:

china splines?

ATI shaft. Trans was built back around 2004-05.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chasracer:

china splines?

ATI shaft. Trans was built back around 2004-05.

What is the issue? Will the input shaft go all the way in? If it will, there is no problem!!

Slide the band on the input till it stops and post a photo of band and input, if it won't!!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

china splines?

Wing Wong Ching Chong manufacturing.

Post a photo

The Sum Ting Wong Company, Beijing ;^)

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
I BENCH TEST ABOUT TEN WEDDING BAND'S ONTO THE INPUT SHAFT...SOME DON'T FIT AT ALL....THE BTE ONES ALWAYS FIT...CORE GLIDES BAND..50-50.

SOME TRANS BUILDERS GET THE INPUT SHAFT HALF IN & THEN SMACK IT WITH A RUBBER HAMMER...IT'LL GO...EACH TO THERE OWN...

Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DON KALINA:
I BENCH TEST ABOUT TEN WEDDING BAND'S ONTO THE INPUT SHAFT...SOME DON'T FIT AT ALL....THE BTE ONES ALWAYS FIT...CORE GLIDES BAND..50-50.

SOME TRANS BUILDERS GET THE INPUT SHAFT HALF IN & THEN SMACK IT WITH A RUBBER HAMMER...IT'LL GO...EACH TO THERE OWN...

I had to take a plastic hammer to get it off the shaft. I have a buddy that runs a trans shop down the road, I'm going to see if he has some extra ones tomorrow.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i left mine off ,not in use ect

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

I always use them, I freshened an FTI or Hughes and it didn't have one on it. It always worked. But I put one on when I did it. Just because.

So I would guess it isn't really necessary..
I think it would help support the end of the input.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:

I always use them, I freshened an FTI or Hughes and it didn't have one on it. It always worked. But I put one on when I did it. Just because.

Dave

Drum. It's necessary or the bushing wouldn't be there from GM.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TH383
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dave

same here Dave. transfered parts out of a hughes into a new case for a guy and it wasnt in there.

Posts: 829 | Location: PA | Registered: November 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

on my first stock tranny converted to race ,i left out several gm parts

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

on my first stock tranny converted to race ,i left out several gm parts

LOL.. Me too.. I no longer own a power glide. But I do have a two speed transmission...lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I get kinda stupid when it comes to building stuff. Most times I can't afford to do everything all at one time but eventually get to it.

Here is my latest "improvement" Not saying it helps just saying it is an improvement.With this I think the only bushings left in the trans would be the front pump, front drum, and the bushing in the planet carrier the input goes into. Just about all of them have now been replaced with a bearing.

Sun Gear Bearing Kit

I check out Sonnax every so often to see what is offered. I do know their accumulator kit made a big difference in the way the band looks on mine at tear down.

Dave

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get kinda stupid when it comes to building stuff. Most times I can't afford to do everything all at one time but eventually get to it.

Here is my latest "improvement" Not saying it helps just saying it is an improvement.With this I think the only bushings left in the trans would be the front pump, front drum, and the bushing in the planet carrier the input goes into. Just about all of them have now been replaced with a bearing.

Sun Gear Bearing Kit

I check out Sonnax every so often to see what is offered. I do know their accumulator kit made a big difference in the way the band looks on mine at tear down.

Dave

Are you using a red or purple servo kit ? Ratio or Super Servo?

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning towards not putting it back in - bothers me a bit that it was stuck in the middle of the input shaft.

I have a BTE case and now I'm fighting getting my compression tool to stay in place so I can get the reverse clutch set out. Thinking about cutting a piece of angle iron to wedge between the forks so they'll stop popping out.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a BTE case and now I'm fighting getting my compression tool to stay in place so I can get the reverse clutch set out. Thinking about cutting a piece of angle iron to wedge between the forks so they'll stop popping out.

i used one at st louis borrowed from a friend,had the same issue untill i figured out there is a cross piece that goes in at the bottom.lol i wondered what all those extra pieces were in the kit

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
https://www.tsr-racing.com/too...ring-compressor.html I bought this tool from TSR, it works from inside the case when removing rear pressure plate, and woks very well.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thats a good one top the one i borrowed had long spring like fingers that went down and fit in the groove

1.036, 6.16@ 224