DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Electrical connection grease
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical connection grease
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Has anyone here used any electrical connection grease such as Nygel to help the electrical connections make better contact such as Weatherpack or Deutsch connectors?

Just curious and do you think it helped?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Vern, I used it all the time in connectors on the trash trucks. Didn't use it to improve the connection, rather to keep corrosion and other crap from forming and to help seal it. I use it on everything pretty much that will be exposed to weather at all, including on my car...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For the pins, clean with Tuner Wash (contact cleaner) and air dry. Use dielectric grease to keep moisture and dirt out.

I’ve also used DeoxIT on connectors in corrosive environments that I’ve worked at.

Posts: 2427 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Grease or paste of any kind doesn’t improve the contact, it just helps prevent corrosion and electrolysis. Those two things cause connections to deteriorate. The clear dielectric lube works well. I use it on a lot of things.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have an old tube of Dow dielectric grease, but there's really nothing all that special about it, other than it's silicone grease. Or course they love to package it as many different way and up-charge if they can. Years ago OEM use to use regular white grease in light bulb sockets.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2322 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Yeah Rich, I stated that wrong. I actually did read up on it before posting. Just wondered if anyone used it. I unplugged the deutsch connector on my MSD and it was clear that they had used a dielectric grease. I may order some Nygel to try.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
White grease was used a lot and still is.
The green corrosion, like on batteries is the worst. I’ve seen it inside weatherpack connectors a lot from moisture. The clear paste works on most everything. I use it on spark plug boots on small engines. The terminals rust inside. Onan generators too. Helps to stop the boots from really getting stuck on the plugs.

Another place that really goes bad is trailer connectors and the paste helps stop that issue.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Sort of along these lines, I know many who solder most connections, as I do. Make sure to clean up when finished, the flux is acidic and causes corrosion. I use alcohol to clean mine before the shrink tubing is set in place.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 484 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Busted Knuckles:
Sort of along these lines, I know many who solder most connections, as I do. Make sure to clean up when finished, the flux is acidic and causes corrosion. I use alcohol to clean mine before the shrink tubing is set in place.

You're using the wrong solder then. You should only use rosin core flux solder for wiring connections - it is non-acidic and requires no additional cleaning.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I recall when RTV came into vogue back in the late 60', early 70's, some would use it for a water tight covering. Of course RTV is acidic and does all the bad things acid does to copper.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2322 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post