DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:
I was thinking of doing the same with the injectors and am glad to have some affirmation.
Cam sensor on the belt drive and toothed wheel on the crank with a hall effect sensor on both.

I'm pretty sure I was ignoring the too rich condition as the fuel consumption was high and the catch can was getting alky every run. But I was believing o2 sensor instead.

The friend I have that tested his Holley Throttle body system on his super comp dragster today made one partial pass, then one full pass, 8.85 or so. On the stop of course. It's not supposed to be that easy! He is on race gas.

Dave is 100% correct up there. Too lean OR too rich will both show cold pipes.

Which trigger wheel are you using on the crank?

Is your friend running port fuel injection or a throttle body setup with the injectors up top? If running port fuel injection, Alpha-N or Speed Density?

Throttle body, and not sure. But he used a stop under the blades last night, and right out of the box that thing was flat lined and smooth on the stop. That makes me think it is just using the map sensor for the table. But I'm still a little ignorant on this subject.

A blade stop on EFI? I'm surprised that would even work...at WOT the EFI wants to dump in 100% rated fueling, would go dead fat with the blade stop closed (same ROT as MFI + blade stop). Maybe it's different with TBI instead of MPI. MPI it's best to use an inline stop.

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnethead:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I was thinking of doing the same with the injectors and am glad to have some affirmation.
Cam sensor on the belt drive and toothed wheel on the crank with a hall effect sensor on both.

I'm pretty sure I was ignoring the too rich condition as the fuel consumption was high and the catch can was getting alky every run. But I was believing o2 sensor instead.

The friend I have that tested his Holley Throttle body system on his super comp dragster today made one partial pass, then one full pass, 8.85 or so. On the stop of course. It's not supposed to be that easy! He is on race gas.

Is your friend running port fuel injection or a throttle body setup with the injectors up top? If running port fuel injection, Alpha-N or Speed Density?

Throttle body, and not sure. But he used a stop under the blades last night, and right out of the box that thing was flat lined and smooth on the stop. That makes me think it is just using the map sensor for the table. But I'm still a little ignorant on this subject.

A blade stop on EFI? I'm surprised that would even work...at WOT the EFI wants to dump in 100% rated fueling, would go dead fat with the blade stop closed (same ROT as MFI + blade stop). Maybe it's different with TBI instead of MPI. MPI it's best to use an inline stop.

Well if you were going by throttle position, that would certainly be true. But that's why I figured it was running on the map sensor. Under the stop reference.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnethead:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, curious as to the setup. I have "normal" port EFI, one injector per cylinder. I run mine in Alpha-N, which means RPM and TPS (throttle position) determine where in the fuel map I am running.

I was going to try some throttle stop racing, but closing a set of blades under my throttle body would certainly mess things up. My foot has not moved, therefore it would still be supplying the fuel needed at full throttle, though it certainly isn't now. I was thinking of changing it to Speed Density, so when the engine vacuum changes the fueling will change.

It is tuned so darn good right now though I am too lazy to make the change, but I will. Don't need to physically do anything, all the sensors are already there. Just tell it to look at the MAP sensor instead of the TPS for the fuel map. WOT won't change. Part throttle may, it should, but I have seen them actually stay pretty close on other swaps I have done. Best of all, with the Holley, I can tell it to run Alpha-N up to whatever rpm and load (TPS) I want to, before switching over to Speed Density.

May need to give it a whirl, as well as trying alky in it one day.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe Gregg or Mike can answer a curiosity for me: On my old mechanical FI, I could pull the fuel bypass at idle and as you leaned it out, the rpm would climb, and egt's get hotter. I haven't found that sweet spot with the EFI. I lean it and lean it and pretty soon the idle just falls apart and it stops running.

I had this with the Bosch 160 injectors. You try to get the pulse width so small - it's like the injector can't do what is commanded.

I now have Billet Atomizers and idle is normal and responds like you said your MFI did.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kelley:
quote:
Maybe Gregg or Mike can answer a curiosity for me: On my old mechanical FI, I could pull the fuel bypass at idle and as you leaned it out, the rpm would climb, and egt's get hotter. I haven't found that sweet spot with the EFI. I lean it and lean it and pretty soon the idle just falls apart and it stops running.

I had this with the Bosch 160 injectors. You try to get the pulse width so small - it's like the injector can't do what is commanded.

I now have Billet Atomizers and idle is normal and responds like you said your MFI did.

The Bosch 160's do have a quirk to them. Less than 2mS pulsewidth they can do strange things. There is a point that they start to INCREASE flow instead of decreasing.

They were designed for a stationary engine which never ran them lower than 2mS so no one ever noticed, or maybe never cared, about the quirk. They are pretty cheap though.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Is the Holley 160 a relabled Bosch 160?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kelley:
quote:

ahh, learned something.
That would be the same effect as a larger than necessary pump on a MFI. (more ccs per revolution at low rpm)

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do not believe it is. Find a flow chart for it and you will see. The Bosch 160's have been around a very long time and have had this non-linear issue since day 1.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe Gregg or Mike can answer a curiosity for me: On my old mechanical FI, I could pull the fuel bypass at idle and as you leaned it out, the rpm would climb, and egt's get hotter. I haven't found that sweet spot with the EFI. I lean it and lean it and pretty soon the idle just falls apart and it stops running. Never does the rpm climb like I am used to.

I also have one cylinder that is about stone cold during a run. At idle I can pull the plug wire on that one with little effect. I figured I would swap that coil to a different cylinder and see if the cold cylinder follows the move. I also think that I have been pig fat....the egt's show that as well. But the o2 sensor has been showing very lean. I have been pretty sharp at tuning MFI systems in the past. But starting with a problem has me scratching my head a little. Could be plug wire, coil, wiring. I have the coils mounted in this dragster near the block. Maybe they are getting a little warmer than they like. Although I doubt that it's warmer than under a closed hood.
I am not auto tuning, and frankly that's because I don't trust the o2 readings I am getting.
Any other suggestions? I don't get many chances to work on it. So when I do, I like to try everything I can.

I have been told and Gregg can probably confirm this, that a O2 sensor reads burnt fuel or exhaust gas not fuel so if raw fuel is going across the sensor it will not read and show lean. Just what I've been told.

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sittin duck:
quote:
Maybe Gregg or Mike can answer a curiosity for me: On my old mechanical FI, I could pull the fuel bypass at idle and as you leaned it out, the rpm would climb, and egt's get hotter. I haven't found that sweet spot with the EFI. I lean it and lean it and pretty soon the idle just falls apart and it stops running. Never does the rpm climb like I am used to.

I also have one cylinder that is about stone cold during a run. At idle I can pull the plug wire on that one with little effect. I figured I would swap that coil to a different cylinder and see if the cold cylinder follows the move. I also think that I have been pig fat....the egt's show that as well. But the o2 sensor has been showing very lean. I have been pretty sharp at tuning MFI systems in the past. But starting with a problem has me scratching my head a little. Could be plug wire, coil, wiring. I have the coils mounted in this dragster near the block. Maybe they are getting a little warmer than they like. Although I doubt that it's warmer than under a closed hood.
I am not auto tuning, and frankly that's because I don't trust the o2 readings I am getting.
Any other suggestions? I don't get many chances to work on it. So when I do, I like to try everything I can.

I have been told and Gregg can probably confirm this, that a O2 sensor reads burnt fuel or exhaust gas not fuel so if raw fuel is going across the sensor it will not read and show lean. Just what I've been told.

Nope. An oxygen sensor, wideband and narrow band, read the difference in oxygen between the air outside the exhaust pipe and what is inside the pipe.

Pull a plug wire off and watch a wideband start showing leaner. Same thing will happen if you pull an injector wire off, no fuel, just air getting pumped through.

This is why exhaust leaks close to or before the wideband sensor will screw with the readings.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope. An oxygen sensor, wideband and narrow band, read the difference in oxygen between the air outside the exhaust pipe and what is inside the pipe.

Pull a plug wire off and watch a wideband start showing leaner. Same thing will happen if you pull an injector wire off, no fuel, just air getting pumped through.

This is why exhaust leaks close to or before the wideband sensor will screw with the readings.

Ok help me understand you say pull a plug wire off and it will show lean with a wire off no ignition but yet fuel going in that tells me that it would have raw fuel in exhaust so the O2 does not rich ?

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I do not believe it is. Find a flow chart for it and you will see. The Bosch 160's have been around a very long time and have had this non-linear issue since day 1.

If it makes a difference, I'm using the 160 Holleys

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok help me understand you say pull a plug wire off and it will show lean with a wire off no ignition but yet fuel going in that tells me that it would have raw fuel in exhaust so the O2 does not rich ?

The O2 sensor only looks for oxygen in the pipe, which you will have plenty of when a spark plug is not firing, you are simply pumping air through the cylinder, plus raw fuel. Same thing occurs if you unplug an injector, just pumping air through, but no fuel. O2 sensor doesn't care, it is only looking for oxygen.

That is why you can have a cylinder so darn rich that the O2 sensor will show lean.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You know, that makes sense. So if you have a sensor on one bank, that bank turns lean looking when you drop one hole on that side.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, that makes sense. So if you have a sensor on one bank, that bank turns lean looking when you drop one hole on that side.

Correct.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Dumb question, I think.
Holley has voltage vs dead time values in ms listed for these 160 lb/hr injectors.
Megasquirt wants the dead time in %. What is the relationship here? I unwittingly entered the data as is. And while rechecking things tonight, I see it wants %. I entered milisecond data. How do I get % from this?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
After some research, I think I got the injector setting correct.

So I did some diagnosing, and the coils were all working as expected.
I swapped injectors cylinder for cylinder, and the problem followed the injector. Ok. Something about that injector. At idle, I really seem to have some pretty decent differential in egt cylinder to cylinder. Including the dead one of course.

I did blow through the injector in question when I had it out. Or I tried. Couldn't blow anything through anyhow.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo