DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Engine loses rpm when put in gear
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engine loses rpm when put in gear
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I'll assume your ignition timing is locked in, no mechanical or vacuum advance and your carb is 4-corner idle adjustable.

Idle is too lean.
Make sure you have balanced the idle speed stops front and rear (indexed the throttle blades).
I'd start with the mixture screws 1 1/2 turns off seat and try it.
Back all mixture screws out 1/4 turn at a time, hopefully making adjustments to the front and rear idle stops evenly as you go.

If the mixture screws don't respond either way, you're already pulling fuel through the transfer slots, increase idle air bleed size while closing the throttle blades evenly.

I allow a maximum 300 RPM drop when the trans engages, and it must remain clean and crisp after being free revved or coming off loaded power.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1647 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
^^^^^This.

Vacuum leak will cause the same - carb base plate loose from main body, carb flange loose, intake bolts loose, etc.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
So...update. Engine builder said idle mixture should be out 2.5 turns. Hes also sending out another carb to try. Not saying no vacuum leak, but builder said they ran it on dyno before putting back in car.

Posts: 32 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
For the guys thinking its a vacuum leak., what should a blower motor be pulling for vacuum at idle...in park.

Posts: 32 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think you’d be better off smoking the intake and seeing if/where it comes out.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post