DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Sprag vs. Spragless??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sprag vs. Spragless??
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
CupCake, If you claimed to have the only TD to go 3.87, how many would show up to say otherwise? A bunch with evidence.

None will show up to match this n/a sbc 3200 lbs 10 x 28. Ya know why? They can't, even if they wanted to.

That's the difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
So you got a guy who runs 5.90 in the 1/8 arguing with a guy who runs 6.00 in the 1/4 mile about who is faster.

My money is on the Paul S/Q running 6.00 in the 1/4 mile. Just saying. Nothing personal but the numbers do not add up.

But to make it interesting I will place a $100 bet on the guy running 6.00 in a heads up race. 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile does not matter my money is on Paul S/Q.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Raised the bar

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
TSI spragless racing torque converters, Ohlins TTX, Brodix T1 23, Ripper Powerglide's, Ripper Engine Services, Bullet Cams, BLP carbs, PKRE intake porting services.

The standard for performance.

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
So you got a guy who runs 5.90 in the 1/8 arguing with a guy who runs 6.00 in the 1/4 mile about who is faster.

Nothing personal but the numbers do not add up.

Curly I'm just screwing with him cause he's so easy ... we all know theres no way he races , they dont make a helmet big enough to go over his head as swelled up as it is ....

but seriously , what "numbers dont add up " ?

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

Nothing personal but the numbers do not add up.

Curly I'm just screwing with him cause he's so easy ... we all know theres no way he races , they dont make a helmet big enough to go over his head as swelled up as it is ....

but seriously , what "numbers dont add up " ?

I'm just screwing with you too, but I'm more of a diplomat for the local drag racer, than anything else. I'm positive you run above average. But there's also other bars at all levels, yet to be raised in drag racing.

I just couldn't ever see cutting up an authentic 1969 Nova Super Sport, in the 34 years I've owned it. It still has the factory fuse box, starts with a key.

Trust me I could've went the same ol tired approach just about everyone else goes, cutting up perfectly good authentic GM chrome and steel, to pretend I make good power. That would be way too easy though.

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
My Coan ~9” (opal core) with a sprag, had at least +2-3 mph over any spragless 9” in the eight mile. It was also very reliable, but some of that was from sending in back for inspection and such every 3-4 years. Running a $1500 converter to failure never seemed wise.
Over a decade, I tried about ever converter made but none worked as good. Consistency, mph and ET, listed in order of importance to me.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12160 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
My Coan ~9” (opal core) with a sprag, had at least +2-3 mph over any spragless 9” in the eight mile. It was also very reliable, but some of that was from sending in back for inspection and such every 3-4 years. Running a $1500 converter to failure never seemed wise.
Over a decade, I tried about ever converter made but none worked as good. Consistency, mph and ET, listed in order of importance to me.

They're excellent, we had one factory condition 78 Malibu I did a 355 23 sbc with a set of Brodix T1 215's cnc ported, nice little engine. Those are heavy, 3300 with sbc, it went 6.50 on gasoline, we couldn't believe it. Early 2000's.

Dude still has the Malibu, won Super Pro with it at Gainesville last Sunday. He's running a FTI converter now, 406 sbc with a set of Dragonslayer Brodix heads dial'd 6.26. Running strong.

An Opel is an 8" core, not sure of Coans 9" core, maybe a 245 mm or a Nissan or Toyota. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was fast. It wasn't an Opel though, if it was a 9" converter.

Opel is an 8" core. Mighta been a Cortina core, those are the best cores they're like a small 9" like 8.500-8.750 good anywhere from 800-1600 hp and small. They came in an Australian car, super rare these days.

Best core there is, if you can find one.

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Agreed, technically not a 9”, but Jason said definitely Opal core. Hard to find them now and come at a premium.

4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12160 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
COA-20430S 9” MAX performance steel stator on receipt Again, Jason Coan said Opel core. I had asked for a exact match to my original, that had 9 gazilion runs. I bought it as a spare.
It was $1,100 4 years ago.

4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jason at Coan did me a spragless a few years back that is .06 quicker in the 1/8 than a once reputable converter co could build.

And I have lost a quite a few rounds and even a track championship due to stupid shyt a SPRAG was doing.

No more sprags for me.

Posts: 1562 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Easiest path to hurting a sprag, is be in the gas when the tire hooks, on the burnout.