DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Sprag vs. Spragless??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sprag vs. Spragless??
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Below stall sprag or spragless the stator is inactive, at this point it acts as a reactor redirecting the oil from the turbine onto the pump, this is how torque multiplication is acheived below stall.

The concept of one way clutch is that when the turbine picks up speed turning the input shaft, oil is redirected onto the outer edge of the stator, and the stator can turn the same direction as the turbine above stall. As the oil ,turbine, pump and stator become one, the output shaft is closer to being 1 to 1 with the turbine turning the input shaft at the same rpm's or close as the pump, stator, oil and engine rpm. Being the one way clutch allows the stator to turn as one with the entire unit, the windows between the stator fins are more open.

I think when the engine is rung out with the torque of the engine diminishing at a higher rate than the rpm is increasing, the open windows on the stator with it's capacity to turn as one with the unit, creates less drag. I think this is the phenomenon that has sprag converters dominating comp eliminator 1/4 mile racing. They coast better as power is removed / diminishes at high rpm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Where is a centrifugal converter utilized I have never come across one ?
Centrifugal converter .... Is that like a weedeater clutch ?

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
One is sprag, one is spragless.

If you could put the best attributes of both these into one, you'd have a converter that is 3 to 4 hunredths faster. That's a lot in a 16 car field of like fast cars.

It's not something you'd wanna bracket race though, and as the two converters stand alone, as is....

The TSI spragless is the faster of the two. Just slightly though.

I'd have a hard time letting go of the PTC, it's a bad dude 370 pro tree converter. $800, I might think about it. Maybe.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:

In Mikey's head

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
quote:

In Mikey's head

Fictitious force , centrifugal force same thing. Smile

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My TSI 806B was 12th in line for paint yesterday, when I called to check on her at 1pm.

B for badazz. Smile

Think it'll make it from PA to Florida today?

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
My TSI 806B was 12th in line for paint yesterday, when I called to check on her at 1pm

we all sure hope so , otherwise you wont be the "quickest and fastest 3200 pound red and black 69 Nova with a track one headed SBC... and a windshield smudge on the passengers side , and a nick in the paint behind the right rear wheel " this weekend

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
What happened to your last post Cameltoe?

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Just call Hughes and tell them what you have and what your goals are and they will help you. My go to guy there is Stephen Hughes and he has really helped. I told him my dyno numbers and what I wanted and he nailed it perfect FIRST TIME. I did not have to take it out and send it back 2 or 3 times. Talk to the professionals not the internet wanna'be. I am not saying anything bad about other converter companies but I have been blasted before because I did not buy my converters from XXXXX company and yet those same people have had to send their converters back 2 or 3 times to get it right. One thing you have to give them good information dyno numbers etc to get good results.

I have heard some say the Spragless will be slower, mine did not lose anything when I went to Hughes spragless. And it is very consistent.

Regardless of who you choose to get your converter (Cam, Heads etc) call several companies and get their recommendations and choose who you think is best for your needs. Try to learn what they recommend and why and that will help you make a good decision.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4027 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
quote:
My TSI 806B was 12th in line for paint yesterday, when I called to check on her at 1pm

we all sure hope so , otherwise you wont be the "quickest and fastest 3200 pound red and black 69 Nova with a track one headed SBC... and a windshield smudge on the passengers side , and a nick in the paint behind the right rear wheel " this weekend

806b is for 383 sbc. not mine Cupcake.

Now cupcake listen up.

sbc 23 degree n/a, 3200 lbs, 10 x 28 tire, out of box Brodix or AFR.

Now cupcake, don't be jealous because I can do what you pay others to do because you don't know how, and still can't be fastest, ok cupcake?

Also cupcake, go find another like my Nova faster n/a.

You can't cupcake. Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So what does it run Mike and when was the last time it ran

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
So what does it run Mike and when was the last time it ran

It's a dud, sbc n/a 3200 lbs, all steel on a 10.5 x 28 bias tire, out of the box Brodix T1 heads.

I'm trying to find one like it, equally as slow.

Why, you got one? Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No I just always see 60ft times and was wondering what it runs not trying to start anything just inquiring

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Centrifugal converter .... Is that like a weedeater clutch ?

He talking about a CVT torque converter. Its the new rave for slow box cars.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
No I just always see 60ft times and was wondering what it runs not trying to start anything just inquiring

I put together a new sbc in 2017, using 90% of pieces I already had laying around.

New transmission, the same.

It dipped in the 5's, off the trailer new, as I predicted beforehand, after looking at the observed stall rpm.

Converter will tell you all about your power, once you have an observed stall on any given torque converter, based according to X amount of power.

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Now cupcake listen up.

Now cupcake, don't be jealous because I can do what you pay others to do because you don't know how, and still can't be fastest, ok cupcake?
Smile

I do all my own stuff , and I'd fall asleep in that turd of yours ... I believe our last time slip said 3.87...... not 5.90's ... so when you get that turd to run 6.0 in the 1/4 mile look me up ....But I'm not a red 69 N/A nova ....so like everyone elses stuff on here its junk ...I guess I'll be Cupcake , we'll just call you TWINKY

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Now cupcake listen up.

Smile

I do all my own stuff , and I'd fall asleep in that turd of yours ... I believe our last time slip said 3.87...... not 5.90's ... so when you get that turd to run 6.0 in the 1/4 mile look me up ....But I'm not a red 69 N/A nova ....so like everyone elses stuff on here its junk ...I guess I'll be Cupcake , we'll just call you TWINKY

Performance is relative, there's a bunch of turds going 3.87. A shyt ton of em.

So far you can't find anyone else, not one sbc 3200 lbs going 5.90's, but don't feel bad, I can't either Cupcake. Smile

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you were the only going 3.87, I'd be the first to say damn, CupCake is a bad MotherTrucker.

But that's just me, how I look at it.

Is that not normal?

I might even say, I bet it has a TSI spragless converter. Smile

quote:
no its an aluminum Abruzzi bolt together .... but its the "fastest 2011 spitzer with home ported heads,a multicolor wrap, carbon steering wheel, and .012 more air in the left rear tire, on wednesdays, between 6-7:37 pm ...when an eagle is flying over " FACT ... find another just like it that ran that same exact e.t. that day .... I'll wait ....

sound familiar ???

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
no its an aluminum Abruzzi bolt together .... but its the "fastest 2011 spitzer with home ported heads,a multicolor wrap, carbon steering wheel, and .012 more air in the left rear tire, on wednesdays, between 6-7:37 pm ...when an eagle is flying over " FACT ... find another just like it that ran that same exact e.t. that day .... I'll wait ....

sound familiar ???

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
Ok Twinky , I'm done .. you can now go back to bantering with ED ... its his turn .. go gettem ED..