DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Sprag vs. Spragless??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sprag vs. Spragless??
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted
Had my first direct experience with a spragless converter. A friend thought their sprag type converter was going bad so he put in a spragless that another friend had with a very similar motor. I was impressed with the consistency but the car slowed down about .01 to .015. Which one do you prefer and why?

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
If only 660 racing, the spragless has a much better service life and less parts to tear up. If 1320 racing, the sprag IS going to be better by several mph. When a spragless converter is correct for application, the et will be very close to the same as with a sprag.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
TSI spragless

BLP carb

PKRE fabbed 4500 Edelbrock SV2

M/T 10 x 28 bias

Bullet Cams

Brodix sbc 23 T1

3200 lbs

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
If only 660 racing, the spragless has a much better service life and less parts to tear up. If 1320 racing, the sprag IS going to be better by several mph. When a spragless converter is correct for application, the et will be very close to the same as with a sprag.

How does the torque converter know distance it travels?

It doesn't.

It only knows rpm's - centrifugal force.

I'm gonna have to deem your post a chit sandwich.

Something you read on the interwebs, you're now repeating.

Or in Hot Rod magazine back in the 70's. Smile

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
Had my first direct experience with a spragless converter. A friend thought their sprag type converter was going bad so he put in a spragless that another friend had with a very similar motor. I was impressed with the consistency but the car slowed down about .01 to .015. Which one do you prefer and why?

I have seen no difference in performance with or without a sprag or diode. Although I don't stop race, I believe spragless is more consistent for this application. Overall, why add something that can break into the system if you don't have too!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Having used both I'm now a big spragless fan.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
we have an FTI diode in the firebird, going on 3-4 yrs with great luck. Trans temp is never high EVER, never above 140. Got a TSI spragless in the truck, was built for the firebird and ran well, works real good in the truck too. trans temp up in the 160-170 hot lapping. Have a few ATI sprag converters too and they seem to reach 180-200 real easy and aren't really any faster than the others, just seem to build heat quicker. All good consistent converters.........

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:

I have seen no difference in performance with or without a sprag or diode. Although I don't stop race, I believe spragless is more consistent for this application. Overall, why add something that can break into the system if you don't have too!

I found no difference in ET or MPH for a spragless vs mechanical diode in my dragster either.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The guy with triple chrome plated bumpers is going to start deeming posts illegitimate by people that have winners circle checks taken from less than 10 years ago.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
The guy with triple chrome plated bumpers is going to start deeming posts illegitimate by people that have winners circle checks taken from less than 10 years ago.

I thought I explained it well enough, No?

How does the torque converter know the distance it travels?

It doesn't.

The torque converter only knows rpm's - centrifugal force.

If it walks like a shyt sandwich and smells like a shyt sandwich, it's a shyt sandwich,....... no matter who prepares the shyt sandwich, it's still a shyt sandwich.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
He was saying that with a sprag you'll notice the mph more in 1/4 mile racing than you will 1/8 mile.

You deemed it a "sandwich" for some reason, but the information presented by him was 100% accurate.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was saying that with a sprag you'll notice the mph more in 1/4 mile racing than you will 1/8 mile.

You deemed it a "sandwich" for some reason, but the information presented by him was 100% accurate.

Not in reality it's not 100% accurate, and most certainly not because you claim it is 100% accurate, unless you can explain this rationally....

How does the torque converter know the distance it travels?

It doesn't.

The torque converter only knows rpm's - centrifugal force.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you don't understand a torque converter works off centrifugal force, why comment making believe your claims, as rational and reasoned? Confused

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No one said it didn’t work off of centrifugal force.

Stay on track.

No wonder you’re not married.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one said it didn’t work off of centrifugal force.

Stay on track.

No wonder you’re not married.

Ok, so let's pretend you knew what I was saying all along.

So how does the torque converter know the distance it goes?

It doesn't.

It only knows rpm's - centrifugal force.

So, then what is the phenomenon which makes it "several mph faster" 1/4 mile same rpm?

That claim is make believe - impossible, or in other words a shyt sandwich. Smile

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Problem with a sprag / diode is, how do ya know for sure if it's hurt, if you don't cut it open?

Ya don't.

I'm waiting on a 806B Opel 8" from TSI as we speak for a local bracket racer, getting away from diode converters, had one fail.

He's gonna be a happy mother Trucker hanging with me because I ain't afraid to help a guy out, all aspects.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I broke a sprag years ago and went Spragless on the new converter. Did not notice any difference in ET or MPH.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Nobody has to take my advice, because I am not trying to sell anything. I know what i know from real world experience. I dont care what the guy thinks that has the fastest, slow box car in the country has.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply guys. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Mike, a sprag makes the converter more efficient, and doesnt try to act like an engine brake like spragless unit does. Ima steal a line from Ed again, "TRUTH AND FACTS"

Jeremiah Hall