New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blowers
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
So its been a while now since a lot of people have switched to baby/big blowers. I wanted to hear from these guys on how they feel the blower combo is performing for them. Consistency issues? Reliability issues?

Thanks

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Back when I ran a 8/71 on a 540 with the Rons setup, at 9psi it was deadly. Of course i sucked most of the time but it worked very well

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
JR,

What was the quickest you ran with that combo?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5308 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Im also talking about racing every weekend with them.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have only put about 100 passes on mine so far, and i dont see any disadvantage. Car is as good or better than it ever was, and oil changes and checking valves just like normal is the only thing ive done.

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Payton:
Im also talking about racing every weekend with them.

I was bracketing mine at the time as well as some td stuff

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
JR,

What was the quickest you ran with that combo?

I think in decent air I was in the 6.5’s in the 1/4, when it was slowed down for,brackets was running 4.2’s

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Look guys i am trying to behave. Long time blower guy. Trying to run mild combo. Then here come a bunch of you running blowers. I have everything to run blower except the blower and lower over drive combo of pulleys. I could run 45 to 68% over easy enough.LOL

Question. What size pump are you running with these low boost numbers?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Chris Wilson put together a 588 headhunter deal with a 250 on it for me last winter. This thing is incredible. I'm right at 200 passes so far. Check the valves and change the oil. No issues what so ever. Its stupid fast for what it is. I was going 4.38 @ 160 at galot last weekend with 8 degrees of timing out at the hit and 5 psi boost. Amazingly consistent. It's an awesome deal. Chris really has these things figured out. I wish I would have got one sooner. Call Wilson race engines and get him to fix ya up. Best in the business. You won't regret it.

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fordracer9326:
Chris Wilson put together a 588 headhunter deal with a 250 on it for me last winter. This thing is incredible. I'm right at 200 passes so far. Check the valves and change the oil. No issues what so ever. Its stupid fast for what it is. I was going 4.38 @ 160 at galot last weekend with 8 degrees of timing out at the hit and 5 psi boost. Amazingly consistent. It's an awesome deal. Chris really has these things figured out. I wish I would have got one sooner. Call Wilson race engines and get him to fix ya up. Best in the business. You won't regret it.

Man that just seems way too easy!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Its that easy.... 4.358 at 161 with 10 degrees out at the hit at Darlington this past weekend. 1200 ft da.

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
ts that easy.... 4.358 at 161 with 10 degrees out at the hit at Darlington this past weekend. 1200 ft da.

what blower set up is on it?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
588 headhunter with a 250 tbs blower. Making 5 psi with a single apd carb. 2046 lbs. Incredible bracket setup

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
588 headhunter with a 250 tbs blower. Making 5 psi with a single apd carb. 2046 lbs. Incredible bracket setup

I am curious to know more about this, ET etc. Seems to me that the carb would be a big restriction on performance.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

I am curious to know more about this, ET etc. Seems to me that the carb would be a big restriction on performance.

Bruce, these little 250 blowers are the hot ticket right now in bracket racing. Most are only set up for 3-5 lbs boost with a single carb. The low boost allows them to be bolted to a std bracket motor like 582 and 598ci engines with no mods. You can make a 4.60 dragster a Consistent 4.40 dragster for little cost.

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

I'm sure it could be if it were being pushed. But that isn't how they are using them. 5 psi is barely anything, and just picks up the easy hp at the bottom of the boost numbers.
I have found that going that direction would only work for me if I welded the pulleys on so I could never change them.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
what is the compression ratio on the 250 blower engine ?

Posts: 35 | Location: texas | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Any one know max od blower work efficiently at?

Highest boost they achieve? Boost is relative number depending on rest of combo understood. Just wondering how far blowers can be pushed?

What are you guys running these having to change converter wise?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
FordRacer9326, i just ordered one of the TBS 250's with a 67 bottom and 33/35 top pulleys from Alkydigger. This one is going on a 13:1, 598, Dart 380 Pro 2 CNC head, 1025 hp NA, BBC with a enderle bird catcher. I'm trying to figure out what top pulley i should start with. I'm targeting 4.40's to 4.50's just like your combo. With the enderle bird catcher on a tunnel ram, 210 lb driver, and all the gear it goes in at 2000 lbs, so i'm figuring i'll be in the 2100 lb range with the blower and 10" converter.

What pulleys are you running on your 588?
What converter are you running?
How are you measuring that 5 psi?

Posts: 374 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
anyone have dyno numbers from one of these?
Which pulleys are being used on a 598?

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post