New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blowers
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run a 64 tooth bottom pulley and a 33 top to go 4.45ish in the heat. It will make just under 5 psi according to the racepak with that setup. I am running a 31 tooth top pulley to make the runs I posted about. It'll make between 5.5 and 5.7 psi with that setup. I'm running a 10 inch converter from Greg slack, 4.30 gear, and a 3186 MT tire. I usually run it soft down low for consistency. I have been .984 to the 60, but try to run it around 1.02. As far as all the details on the compression ratio and such, I can't answer that. Chris Wilson is truly the brains behind this thing. I bet I have 175 passes on the spark plugs. Just over 200 on the motor. Zero issues.

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
how about driving the finish line , can you rip the throttle or just brake ?

Posts: 35 | Location: texas | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Rip away, but it's a little different from naturally aspirated

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3098 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yep ripping the throttle is a little different especially when you got power in it like Bender does.

Hey Bender,

Did you just recently sell a blower to a guy down south? He's a friend of mine. I'm trying to figure a tune up for him in Spud Miller's calculator and need a value for the blower output. I'll PM you a few questions so i don't clutter up the original thread here.

Thanks,

Kris

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Rip away. Its running hard down there though, so it will kill more than a naturally aspirated deal.

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you how many times I've had people tell me it's cool to hear a 3.70 car womping, when in reality I was just kind feathering the loud pedal back and forth, but with the noise a blown car with zoomies makes it sounds like you are womping hard.......even my opponents would mention it on occasion.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3098 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Yep ripping the throttle is a little different especially when you got power in it like Bender does.

Hey Bender,

Did you just recently sell a blower to a guy down south? He's a friend of mine. I'm trying to figure a tune up for him in Spud Miller's calculator and need a value for the blower output. I'll PM you a few questions so i don't clutter up the original thread here.

Thanks,

Kris

FWIW I think I used 670 or maybe a little higher on a loose SSI F3. Id imagine top end blowers like Bender was running are up in the 700s?

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Anyone changing engine components to run a little blower? Ring gap, wrist pins, etc?

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
BJ's wild ride, when i ran some of the data from the Bender i was able to match some of his numbers using 670, which is a solid 100 greater than the previous blower my friend used. I agree Benders blower must be a really nice one to require 670, i just ran the numbers to get a rough feel for it. Once he gets it running we will be able to zero in on the blower output and the tune up. I still like Spud's calculator, I've yet to run across a combination i couldn't work out when using his tune up calculator.

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
The TBS XR1 blowers are the best bang for the buck.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Saw a few blowers on the money race feed. And one procharger that was quite quick. All seemed to work well.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike,

From what i've heard its a mixed bag. I just ordered a TBS 250 kit from alkydigger to install on my son's 598 pro 2 380 Dart head, 13.5:1, and i don't plan on changing anything. i have another cam that would be better suited to blown applications but i'm seriously considering not changing it.

For what its worth, if you building a motor from scratch or you take one down for a rebuild then come back together with a blower, it makes absolute sense to go with a double key, hemi bolt pattern, ATI super damper, and have your crank cut for the second key.

I'm kinda rolling the dice and i know it, but i'm willing to risk it to prove a point. I'll run with the adapter pulley, single key and chevy bolt pattern balancer, but then again its only a 250 blower, i wouldn't do this with any XX:71 series blower, i think they take too much torque to turn and you risk shearing the key and balancer. When i take this one down i going to double key it and swap to the hemi pattern balancer, and hemi pattern drive mandrel from Jones Racing Products.

As far as wrist pins and ring gaps, i'd say if you intend on running north of say 10 psi i'd think long and hard about wrist pin upgrades and opening up the ring gaps some. I run my end gaps a little on the high side anyway, plus this one has a few runs on it already, planning for around 6 psi tops so i think i'll be safe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Triple Nickel,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
fordracer, what fuel pump are you running on this application? I've seen local guys run anything from a bg400 to apd pro boost setup on a carb.

I've got a good buddy who lead to me Spud's calculators. My current NA setup is borderline now on fuel delivery. Curious to what others are running.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Rip away! She is responding well to being kicked even with big apd on her.

Very reliable, very repeatable so far...mine has some runs on her now and restripping blower is inexpensive and happening next week.

Happy with the results so far.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Question On baby/big blowers. They bolt to std 6-71 intake?

Max boost they will make? Pretty sure not 52lbs of screw blower.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
SO a good friend of mine just installed a 192 blower shop blower on his 421 SBC this motor made around 650 before. Dynoed yesterday was 1031 hp not sure what the tor number where.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any experience with the Whipple 510 screw type blower? That is similar in size to the 8-71 but supposed to take much less power to run and keep the charge cooler. Plus they have the ability to be cranked up pretty good.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Anyone have any experience with the Whipple 510 screw type blower? That is similar in size to the 8-71 but supposed to take much less power to run and keep the charge cooler. Plus they have the ability to be cranked up pretty good.

I was quite interested in a little blower setup after seeing Don O'Neil's Camaro with a Magnuson blower on an LS in T/S. My sources tell me Whipple is a better choice and can be very quick.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

I was quite interested in a little blower setup after seeing Don O'Neil's Camaro with a Magnuson blower on an LS in T/S. My sources tell me Whipple is a better choice and can be very quick.

I have heard that to but would like to hear from others with more experience. How much is advertising fluff and how much is real world facts? 60% more output and takes 40% less power to run and supposedly last longer to?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Curly1:

Can't say about 510. I cn tell you whipple chargers are badazz as far as the ones we ran on alky car. You can spin them by hand and hear them breath. Nothing touches inside and intake charge is lot cooler. Heck my TA/D with half a$$ tune throwed on it ran high 5.60's. Car was rich and clutch setup was just a SWAG. At the timer 5.50's would put you in top 4 cars

If one of my choices was a whipple then I would not need the rest of them.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post