Tools

PSA
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Stant cap #10335 failing again

First problem is that lever vent.Get rid of that Ed. I understand the safety aspect of it but if someone is constantly needing to bleed the pressure off and remove the cap for whatever reason they need to fix whatever is wrong with the cooling system.

Been servicing cooling systems for 35 years and I never installed a lever vent on anything.

Motorad either took over or bought out stant and I never had anything for motorad products so there goes the Stant quality you used to be able to count on...

Like everything else nowadays.

Posts: 1564 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the cooling system, not bleeding off pressure.

A lever cap is used by many, many racers and I went with this specific cap because Scott has stated he tested many and this was the best. That said, I’ve had this issue with my previous fill neck, also Scott’s, different cap and engine.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Nothing wrong with the cooling system, not bleeding off pressure.

A lever cap is used by many, many racers and I went with this specific cap because Scott has stated he tested many and this was the best. That said, I’ve had this issue with my previous fill neck, also Scott’s, different cap and engine.

I get to pull one of your deals now Ed. Smile

All these years I never not once seen the need to any lever on a radiator cap if everything is designed and working properly.

Like was mentioned maybe the filler neck is out of spec. The spring tension on the cap is what dictates the pressure release so if the neck wasn't machined inside with the proper depth that might cause problems. A Motorad T16 Old Stant number 10230 is all anyone should ever need on a drag car.

Posts: 1564 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of lever caps for racing and previously I used a Moroso cap and that cap too cracked/bent the tabs on 2 different but Scott’s fill necks but since getting Scott’s cap girdle which is made for the lever and his recommendation to use this specific cap with his fill neck, I went with it.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Lever caps serve a purpose and make it possible to bleed off pressure to change intake gaskets or lifters between rounds.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My Meziere broke last year as well, made a huge mess. They claimed they had never had one fail...

Posts: 142 | Location: Ashland,Va | Registered: March 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
Lever caps serve a purpose and make it possible to bleed off pressure to change intake gaskets or lifters between rounds.

Between rounds?

Damn all these years I never had to change intake gaskets or lifters between rounds... Razz

On my Mopars I change them about once every 5 years weather they need it or not.... Laughing Hard

Plenty of time for the system pressure to bleed off.