New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
check your fill neck/radiator cap regularly and avoid a disaster!

This is a Stant cap #10335 that is 5 months old and was swapped out because the tabs were bending on the previous one.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Great point.
But realistically ANY parts purchased within close proximity of covid is suspect.
I purchased 3 -4 AN fittings this spring needing them for oil lines for my engine freshen up.
Found it when we went to warm up the car (thank god), had a puddle of oil under it.
Car was fine the previous weekend.

When I spoke to the vendor the reason was "Covid Metal".

How do you fight with logic like that?

Nobody seems to care that someone could wreck or worse. Mad

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Just like everything else they all junk…My $100 meziere cap…explode into pieces last week…

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What psi caps do you use?? I never used anything more than a Stant 7 psi cap with no top relief tab and it’s been on the car for 10yrs. Still looks perfect. Aerospace water neck.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
20psi, it's the cap Scott sells for use with his fill necks and I've always used a 20-22psi cap on the dragster, 7 psi on he Firebird radiator which has plastic tanks and aluminum core

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping my 1979 GM cap. Big Grin

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1638 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
whomp was is the story from meizeire

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
Idk….lifted the damn hood an there lays half my damn radiator cap down in the intake….could have got ugly….sad part is my dumba z z bought another one lol

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I made an attempted run once when my cap was off
Don't know how it got there but the cap was in the intake valley....
I have to assume I took it off to check the water level and never put it back....but I don't really know the answer to how it got there

Did my normal burnout, staged and let go on the top and I believe it was first round of a bracket race....

Did another burnout !!!! And said WTF was that !! Got back to pits and saw WTF was that..

Didn't even see the track have any downtime because of it...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My rbz 250 blower filler neck had the cheesy cover come off the cap. While not that dangerous, frustrating to spend good money on stuff. The track crew found it on the track. It was silicone d on to the 7 dollar cap. Just lucky that thr track crew saw it fly off and the guy behind me didn’t hit it and cut a tire.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Id be curious to hear their response also being as i have one on my car.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
All the parts stores around me are selling the Motorad caps now and not Stant. Did Stant get out of the rad cap business? I always viewed the Motorad stuff as subpar. Never liked their thermostats either.

Posts: 1561 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Ed, Funny you posted this, just had to replace my cap on my RBZ neck doing the EXACT same thing.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Frizie:
quote:

Id be curious to hear their response also being as i have one on my car.

X2 and was about to buy another for the wife's car

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Since it only seems to be happening on necks like that any chance it's the neck and not the caps?
I thought Motorad was the OE manufacturer for some brands.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
From the looks of it it just deteriorated…been on truck two years….the piece that goes thru for cotter pin is what rusted away down in cap itself

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
alright alright alright lol

a few things - most production stuff is just crap anymore.

PSA - like I explained to ED, make sure you are pressing down hard on the cap when putting on so the tension isn't on the tabs when going over the detent. This should help them from cracking.

We do our billet cap covers the same way as RBZ. Just about the only way to do them. We use the "right stuff" to attach them, so hopefully they don't come off, but I can see it happening.

The Meziere Billet Cap uses stant components and bottom line they can fail. Not sure, but maybe there is a rebuild kit for them? Part of why we came up with the girdle, so the $15 cap can just be replaced.

We have ran into the same thing getting Stant Caps, they've moved to MotorRad.

Now you know what we know. lol

PS - I'll be at the MILLION if anyone needs anything Wink

SL...

Posts: 2108 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Whats this trend in radiator caps and accessories? I broke a plastic cap in '08, but been running whatever metal caps I had laying around since then. I don't believe I've ever had or even seen one break or fall off in 30 years.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Had that happen to me and the next week I got one of those locking Meziere caps. Expensive but I know it wont come off.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1988 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You were saying…

quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Just like everything else they all junk…My $100 meziere cap…explode into pieces last week lifted the damn hood an there lays half my damn radiator cap down in the intake….could have got ugly. From the looks of it it just deteriorated…been on truck two years….the piece that goes thru for cotter pin is what rusted away down in cap itself