DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    driveshaft for 2017 American
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

driveshaft for 2017 American
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I will add this in addition to Ken's yoke cap comment.

MW makes very good products. I don't know of anyone in my area that has had a failure after many many years of service! This is both steel and AL shafts in dragsters running 6.40 and up! The failure I have seen with one MW AL shaft was not the shaft, the U-Joint failed which in turn took out the shaft. We only discovered this after one of the track staff gave back the busted pieces. The U-Joint had become dry and the needles failed along with the surface of the u-joint they ride on, I would say that this surface failed first then took out the needles based on the failed parts. Once the cap developed enough play the u-joint came apart and took out the driveshaft along with some chassis damage as a result. During a converter change in another car we were lucky enough to discover this same u-joint failure in process! Caught it just in time or a repeat of the above would have occurred with in a few more runs! So all those greaseless u-joints need to be checked and replaced regularly. I would bet that many driveshaft failures were really u-joint failures! I can't speak for non MW AL shafts!!!!

That said, MW will not make short AL shafts any longer. Short shafts are too stiff in their opinion. I also believe that they never wanted to produce these from day one and finally stopped it.

For all those that think a CV deal is a once and done deal,,, think again. Everything has a service life which can be affected by many other variables!

One other item to consider, ride height at rest vs down track! If you have a data logger and monitor shock travel, take a look, I have seen many setups that have travel over 1" from ride height! With short driveshafts the u-joint angles change a bunch!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
THIS^^^

Few bracket racers ever replace the U joints.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
THIS^^^

Few bracket racers ever replace the U joints.

Before I went with Goethe CV, I was paranoid about U joints. I changed mine every off season. Cheap insurance

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that's more paranoid then me and it is.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I change mine around 150-200 passes. But as you guys, its peace of mind

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Have the CV shafts in both dragsters, 5 years in one and 4 yrs in the other, CHIT loads of issueless use. Peace of mind as the technology of U-joints is too far behind us to continue using with other options available. Security feeling of it is priceless!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Have the CV shafts in both dragsters, 5 years in one and 4 yrs in the other, CHIT loads of issueless use. Peace of mind as the technology of U-joints is too far behind us to continue using with other options available. Security feeling of it is priceless!

Have you ever serviced your shaft?

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Never serviced the shafts, we put ALOT of runs on our cars each year.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Look what just showed up! USA

aluminum drive shafts

Posts: 2103 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post