DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    dragster battery
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dragster battery
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Steve,

Did you have the new design Autometer or the old one? One of the problems with the old one was the plus and minus were goofy. I contacted Autometer and was told they would fix that problem.

I have the old design which is the chrome looking box style. I think that's the one you are talking about. I know they had some issues but mine and Pivotdoc's have been fine.

I would consider buying the new style. I think it's probably better. Good luck!

No this was within the past 6 months. Check the reviews, their horrible including to one I gave

This is the one I am talking about
https://www.autometer.com/batt...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for posting that. I thought the new one was supposed to be better.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I use two of these in the nose of the dragster:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Same battery as the Brailie. It seems to be about right for weight in the nose for me. They just fit in the room given. I use an alternator. I charge between rounds when I can. I probably don't need to.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
The best charge on the market is hands down the Moroso/Rock Charger. Rock batteries are good too, mine went 5 years.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As I have stated here previously, the Moroso/Rock charger is made by Interacter and Rock batteries are made by Concorde, two of which I just installed today

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
How come you guys with dragsters run 2 small batteries? Why not just 1 Large AGM battery? Is it because of the frame being narrow or something like that?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yes, with my car but the two 12v AGM batteries also total more CA than one large 12v AGM battery

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
How come you guys with dragsters run 2 small batteries? Why not just 1 Large AGM battery? Is it because of the frame being narrow or something like that?
Yes to narrow an it sucks...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have just installed 2 go lithiums with total weight of 22 lbs as we recently did in Hunter's too...

Hunter Patton and I both have this set up and the kid just won 2 races in a row this weekend... sounds like the starter is on 24V as it turns over super fast. We both have the Big dog starter and adjustable alternators from house of Payne with the 2 Go lithiums...my blower motor turns over stupid fast as well!

I was hesitant about the lithiums as I have had trouble in the past with other brands...again new products showing promising real world data and results.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
your mom says "YOU A DUMBAZZ BOY"

1 month ago...

quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
my thousand dollar lithium did not last long and was always a lil wuss in the cold...

The battery ultimately was not warranted by the manufacturer and they wont get a dime more of money!

I have 2 brands at home over the last 10 years...both chit including the chargers totaling over 2000 bucks...

Hit and miss at best...I will carry the heavy batteries.

Cant see spending the coin again.

neither company would warranty when it was all.said and done.

they WOULDN'T start the dang car!

My mom always said the 1st time shame on them, the second time shame on me, the 3rd time she says YOU A DUMBAZZ BOY?

I didn't get to the dumb azz part so far.

When they tell me I cant bump the motor over setting valves or this will void my warranty I was done. They "the manufacturer " tell me you CAN do this simple operation now without damaging the batteries but you have to buy new stuff.

<DOTracer>
posted
Go Lithium batteries are rebuildable/repairable according to the company owner. Not sure about other companies lithium batteries.

https://youtu.be/39aY_Q8Xql0

I contemplated going to lithium this time around but $1750 for two batteries and charger and the life of the batteries is still a concern. I get 5 to 6 years out of a XS Power D1600.

Several fellow racers also mentioned slow cranking when cold.

Also, lithium charge at a different voltage than AGM. For example AGM 16 volt batteries charge at 19.2 volts where the Go Lithium is recommended at a max of 17.75 volts. Alternators that have an adjustable regulator can dial in the charge voltage for Lithium but those regulators are known to be problematic and fail. I said screw it, had a fixed regulator put in the alternator and put in a new D1600.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure what was left of the one I saw with my own two eyes on the ground, surrounded by the Fire Brigade at the NHRA Divisional at VMP last year wasn't rebuildable nor repairable.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i have had nothing but great luck with Lithum pro 16volt battery would highly suggest if u can afford to go the lithum route. They last longer than AGM style they charge faster and are lighter

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
A Lithium Pro battery was in Dave Connelly's/Gray's pro stock car a few years that started fire at a national event.

NO THANKS!

There will never be a lithium battery in my cars as they have proven to be unstable in planes, race cars, phones, computers, hoover boards, etc.

When the big 3 install them as standard equipment in all their passenger cars and trucks, maybe then I'll change my mind.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Dumazz wont even try new technology...stay in the 70s...you belong there.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
DUMBAZZ BOY
ain't learned anything. Maybe seeing your shyt on a fire will wake you up.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Yea yea...I hear ya and your marketing partners see your dumazz talk smack too. People go to hell when they talk the way you do to people...

Full Moon

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
remember, my marketing partners knew of me from here long before they spoke to or met me and I'm not talking to people here any different than they talk to me.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen lithium batterie issues are a thing of the past. When they first came to the racing scene there were a few fires for sure. Most now are Lithium iron phosphate cells now which are much more stable and safe. However they all have different max charging voltage/rates. Each lithium battery requires its specific lithium charger. They all seem to have different maximum tolerable voltage numbers that seem to vary between 17.9-18.6 volts depending on the manufacturer. I have a Lithium Pro in my TS car and it has a max voltage of 18.3, while the Go lithium in the dragster is 17.9. So using the correct charger is kind of a must, raising the costs. Both batteries are 9ish lbs. In my TS car it came with 12V Deka's, going to one Lithium saved 86lbs switching.

Ed our Racetech has the battery midship. We did a lot while wafting on a block(joys of Mopars) to lighten the car up so cannot say exactly what the 37lbs alone did. The car lost almost 95lbs total.

I see XS is now selling Lithiums as well. Anyone try one of those?

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
From what I have seen lithium batterie issues are a thing of the past. When they first came to the racing scene there were a few fires for sure. Most now are Lithium iron phosphate cells now which are much more stable and safe. However they all have different max charging voltage/rates. Each lithium battery requires its specific lithium charger. They all seem to have different maximum tolerable voltage numbers that seem to vary between 17.9-18.6 volts depending on the manufacturer. I have a Lithium Pro in my TS car and it has a max voltage of 18.3, while the Go lithium in the dragster is 17.9. So using the correct charger is kind of a must, raising the costs. Both batteries are 9ish lbs. In my TS car it came with 12V Deka's, going to one Lithium saved 86lbs switching.

Ed our Racetech has the battery midship. We did a lot while wafting on a block(joys of Mopars) to lighten the car up so cannot say exactly what the 37lbs alone did. The car lost almost 95lbs total.

I see XS is now selling Lithiums as well. Anyone try one of those?

Our shop just completely rebuilt Paul Major’s OL10.5/RvsW Corvette and it is equipped with the XS lithium battery. Has pretty good specs compared to some of its competitors, but at $1700+, it’s also one of the most costly.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post