DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    dragster battery
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
dragster battery
 Login/Join
 
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
update... FYI, the big brown truck just dropped off two Concorde 12 volt batteries for my dragster, maker of the Rock Batteries and Total Power batteries . These batteries are rated at 150 amps more than the identical size batteries sold under the two names above. For those of us with '08-'14 Undercover cars with the battery(s) under the nose, we have few options. two of these batteries give us the highest cranking amps available for these cars baring a swap to a Lithium battery which also requires a new hold down as well possibly finding a way to add 40 pounds of weight in the nose due to the weight reduction. I also read here they don't work in cold weather.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...912/m/7457007296/p/1

I'll post the results in a few weeks.

Oh and notice they are proud to state MADE IN THE USA and I am proud to support them, my fellow Americans that work there and my country! USA

 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed what is the brass thing above your battery’s looks like an air chuck or compression fitting
 
Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
9 of 20 posts on this thread are Ed...does not nor ever will make his posts correct.

The rock batteries did not compare to the XS during real heavy usage double tech for 3 to 5 races per weekend. We make many more passes then what Ed and his boy will make per year. Matter of fact we will make more passes in one weekend than ole Ed will make in months...

A single XS D1600 16V is what we have been using with good results in the dragsters.

Divisional racing is NOT hard on batteries with ample time for charging...
 
Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I also like my D-1600 XS Battery. This is the 8th season on it.


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5288 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
9 of 20 posts on this thread are Ed...does not nor ever will make his posts correct.

The rock batteries did not compare to the XS during real heavy usage double tech for 3 to 5 races per weekend. We make many more passes then what Ed and his boy will make per year. Matter of fact we will make more passes in one weekend than ole Ed will make in months...

A single XS D1600 16V is what we have been using with good results in the dragsters.

Divisional racing is NOT hard on batteries with ample time for charging...


quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I also like my D-1600 XS Battery. This is the 8th season on it.


Same here, XS D-1600 with a 100amp super mini alternator on both of our cars now. Love this setup!


Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3
 
Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
For those of us with '08-'14 Undercover cars with the battery(s) under the nose, we have few options. two of these batteries give us the highest cranking amps available for these cars baring a swap to a Lithium battery which
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TORQIN:

A single XS D1600 16V is what we have been using with good results in the dragsters.


Are you running an alternator?
 
Posts: 105 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuperPro54:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TORQIN:

A single XS D1600 16V is what we have been using with good results in the dragsters.


Are you running an alternator?


Yes sir...HOP
 
Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ran an XS D 1600 in my S/C dragster. A few years ago at Norwalk divisional , due to rain we were round robined , 6 passes in 4 hours. No time for charger, alternator only, never missed a beat. BTW, battery lasted 6 years.
 
Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I ran the Optima Red top battery for about 8 years with no problems at all I always run an alternator. First one I ran about 6 years and changed it out with a new one. There was no problems with the old one when I changed it but had the opportunity to trade it in for new one. If you are not having a problem with it I see no reason to change.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 3945 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Ran an XS D 1600 in my S/C dragster. A few years ago at Norwalk divisional , due to rain we were round robined , 6 passes in 4 hours. No time for charger, alternator only, never missed a beat. BTW, battery lasted 6 years.


I run a d1600 also, no alternator. At our home track I'm regularly double entered and go late in both a lot, the last 6 or so runs will typically be 12-15 minutes apart. I charge, fuel and go. Love the d1600, im on my 3rd one in the last 12 years or so


.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link
 
Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Ran an XS D 1600 in my S/C dragster. A few years ago at Norwalk divisional , due to rain we were round robined , 6 passes in 4 hours. No time for charger, alternator only, never missed a beat. BTW, battery lasted 6 years.


Slap an alternator on that thing and don't worry about charging it in late rounds. That's one of the biggest advantages is to be able to take it right back to staging lanes and cool it down for 5 mins, splash in some gas and ready to go again. And for some reason, I noticed my car didn't lose any ET from the alternator and I swear it actually picked up a little consistency..

I run a d1600 also, no alternator. At our home track I'm regularly double entered and go late in both a lot, the last 6 or so runs will typically be 12-15 minutes apart. I charge, fuel and go. Love the d1600, im on my 3rd one in the last 12 years or so


Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3
 
Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have been running the XS XP1000 16V battery and this year switched to the S1600 to save some weight. It has a little less reserve capacity but spins the motor over just as fast as the XP1000 does. Even when I was bracket racing I never ran an alternator and even hot lapping the car always started. I have always left my 16v battery on the charger/maintainer 24/7

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,
 
Posts: 2387 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What needs to be changed to use the 16v battery over a 12v system
 
Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
What needs to be changed to use the 16v battery over a 12v system


IIRC when I switched mine to 16V, I didn't have to change a thing besides buying the battery and the correct charger.. IF you run an alternator, you will have to send it somewhere and have it converted to a 16V alternator (I believe just the voltage regulator needs changed) or buy one for a 16V battery. Most electronics nowadays are rated for well over 20 volts, so throwing 16 at them shouldn't hurt a thing.


Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3
 
Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
IMHO, don't waste your money buying the big charger to go with your 16 volt battery. Buy the Autometer Maintainer instead. That will save you several hundred dollars.

I bought a voltage step down box from JR Baxter and the only thing it is attached to is my water pump. The remote water pump was cavitating on 16 volts.

Otherwise no changes. Like I said this is my eighth season on this battery. It stays on the maintainer all the time. I have one of those useless East Coast Ultra Mini alternators on the car but my Racepak numbers look a little different than everyone else.

This works for me. YMMV


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5288 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have run a D1600 XS in our dragster since we got it. This year we went to a Go Lithium to save some weight. I have been using a Lithium in my care since day one and very happy with it. Biggest problem with lithium is the cost.


"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero
 
Posts: 980 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
IMHO, don't waste your money buying the big charger to go with your 16 volt battery. Buy the Autometer Maintainer instead. That will save you several hundred dollars.

I bought a voltage step down box from JR Baxter and the only thing it is attached to is my water pump. The remote water pump was cavitating on 16 volts.

Otherwise no changes. Like I said this is my eighth season on this battery. It stays on the maintainer all the time. I have one of those useless East Coast Ultra Mini alternators on the car but my Racepak numbers look a little different than everyone else.

This works for me. YMMV


I bought of those Autometer 16v maintainers for my spare battery. It failed out of the box and almost fried my battery. I had hooked it up and checked back later in the day and you could fry and egg on the battery it was so hot. I should of known because it has horrible reviews online.
 
Posts: 2387 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
We have run a D1600 XS in our dragster since we got it. This year we went to a Go Lithium to save some weight. I have been using a Lithium in my care since day one and very happy with it. Biggest problem with lithium is the cost.

where is/was your D1600 in the chassis and has the 40 lb. weight reduction made a noticeable difference with the chassis/suspension setup and VRT?
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Did you have the new design Autometer or the old one? One of the problems with the old one was the plus and minus were goofy. I contacted Autometer and was told they would fix that problem.

I have the old design which is the chrome looking box style. I think that's the one you are talking about. I know they had some issues but mine and Pivotdoc's have been fine.

I would consider buying the new style. I think it's probably better. Good luck!


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5288 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    dragster battery

© DragRaceResults.com 2024