DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    hard tail dragster front suspension, kit or plans, do it yourself..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hard tail dragster front suspension, kit or plans, do it yourself..
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
anyone here, know of a kit or plans, that will put me in the right direction to front suspend my 96 suncoast 225 inch dragster..I can and will do the work myself.. tried googling, and, dead end..

Posts: 18 | Location: gorham  | Registered: February 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try Diamond

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
yeah, that is where research has led me soo far..I will call them, unless others have more choices..thanx..

Posts: 18 | Location: gorham  | Registered: February 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Don’t think anyone offers a kit but short travel struts were installed on some cars. Similar to some altereds. My friend has an Advanced Chassis built 32 Bantam altered. Pro Start Chassis installed those struts on his car trying to make a better handling car of it. I just saw a dragster for sale that has those struts on it. I think it is an Ed Quay car. Pro Start was in NJ, but out of business. Quay is still in business but different owner and does not build dragsters. The strut front end dragster belongs to John Debartolomeo....Drag Racing Edge magazine editor/photographer/ racer and family.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've seen one of those with the front struts last time out,would be interesting to find out how they preform. I have the front suspended on my hardtail and it works great. Rides great, adjustable and no pulling the front runners outta the beams.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys..

DRR Trophy
Picture of brian hansbury
posted Hide Post
I Have a Brand New Backhalf that would be an easy install Mono Shock that looks Just Like and American Backhalf For Sale Cheap

Posts: 16 | Location: east nassau | Registered: April 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What's cheap?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brian hansbury:
I Have a Brand New Backhalf that would be an easy install Mono Shock that looks Just Like and American Backhalf For Sale Cheap

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If you get plans or kit info send me PM on it.Have thought about a suspension on front of FED.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
If you get plans or kit info send me PM on it.Have thought about a suspension on front of FED.

Do not even think about it on a front engine dragster. I am pretty sure it will not work. From what I can tell you need the front end as light as possible on these things to make them hook up and work well. Mine had 389 Lbs and it was way too much. Now I am trying to move weight to the rear and having to add weight to rear to counteract what I can not move. The best way is to build the front end light so when car launches the front tires are in the air and ll weight is on the rear. Then you can fine tune with wheelie bar and maybe 5 or 10 Lbs up front as needed due to better air.

I think on an altered front suspension is a great idea because it allows the car to move a few inches forward before it comes up much pulling front tires out of beams. On a long wheelbase front engine dragster the chassis flex takes care of that and from my experience you need to carry front wheels on them.
Now if you had a 175 inch front engine dragster it would be different because it is short and will not flex as much and it would act similar to an altered.

I also think it may be a good idea on a 4 link rear engine dragster because they have rear to make tires hook so on them the front suspension would just make it smoother.

Getting my front engine dragster to work has not been easy and I think front suspension would make it harder.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
mines only 320 with 16v battery,4.5 fuel and 20# bolt on weight. Was told 300 minimum,if you want to drive it.will be less once get wire wheels from Hayded. Oh yea another 5# left front corner in steel bars in canard mount.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Do not even think about it on a front engine dragster. I am pretty sure it will not work. From what I can tell you need the front end as light as possible on these things to make them hook up and work well.

At least in theory, the front end could be heavier and the car still work well if the chassis had some "give" in the form of suspension to help weight transfer.

Of course, if there has never been a FED built with front suspension, there could be a reason for it.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
yep no one ever tried it.Just like someone had to try first front suspension hardtail.At one time there had never been a RED with suspension.

Ok now back to original programming.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Look up smokinjeff, and PM him. He's from Amarillo and his dragster is suspended in front. Not sure of builder.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Have I missed something? Several of the front engine dragsters had a Torsion style front end along with a lot of the mid to late 1970s rear engine dragsters. Is that not suspended? I have had a few front engine cars that had like 2" of front travel on the torsion axle

Posts: 13 | Location: papillion NE | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Correct. We where speaking of coil over suspensions like one OP was asking about.

Sorry not trying to hijack thread. Was meant as a mention to OP to let me know if he found anything out and not start whole new topic.

DRR Trophy
Picture of SR2010
posted Hide Post
Is this what you guys are talking about? https://www.miller-racecars.com/photogallery.php

Posts: 21 | Location: Ooltewah, TN | Registered: September 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
beautiful stuff,, but, can I do it myself, in the form of a kit or plans???

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
there is a guy in Canada that a lot of racers up here had done, and are doing..meaning suspend the front end, even tho they are rear suspended as well, Brian White race cars.. and swere by his work, that what he does makes a big difference..problem for me is, Way too far away, for it to be practical and feasible..plus I prefer to do stuff myself if I can get good info..