DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Need a new mid plate for 06 undercover
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new mid plate for 06 undercover
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted
Found a crack in mid plate on the dragster and since undercover is no more was wondering where I could get one or get one made. It is for and 06 car. BBC powered. Would like to be able to get one before I pull the cracked one out if possible. Would even be interested in a good used one
Thanks

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Speak to Randy Krause at S&W Race Cars...610-948-7303

I know he has the cad file for the 2008 to 2014 midplate and believe he has the 2007 and earlier midplate cad file too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike Fuqua made several motor plates for them years ago, Im sure him or S&W can get it handled.

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If all else fails. You have old plate Buy 2x2x1/4 t6 plate . Either make new one or any machine shop can do it. All you would need is drill, cpl hole saws, drill bits, jigsaw and something to clean up edges.

Take old plate to welder and keep as backup.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, that was what I was looking for. Hopefully someone can make one that has the original files. If all else fails we will just take it out and have someone local make a new one. it has a very small crack in it so just wanted to get one to have on hand in case it happens to get worse.
thanks

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Call Randy, he has the files.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Its an Undercover thing I guess. Mine cracked 2 years ago, I was told to go to Miller because they used to make them for Undercover. Miller said they had the cad drawings, made me one and when I got it, it didnt fit good at all and they wouldn't make it right so don't call them. Ed said the one he got from S&W fit perfect so they may be you best bet if you dont want to make one yourself. After the Miller ordeal I bought some 6061 material and used my old one for a template and made my own. came out perfect

Posts: 2409 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
have a competitor with an '03 Undercover that had a midplate made from steel.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, waiting on a reply back from S&W and also Fuqua. hopefully one of them can help.

Mike Buchwald

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Fuqua couldn't help me back in March.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
All else fails, Contact Frank Parks at Neil and Parks Racecars and have your Undercover plate duplicated.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of strictlybiz
posted Hide Post
Talk to tom at s&w he's the head manager you can send them your old one and they will use there cnc to make a new one, they have made me a lot of stuff with out a template for my customers and nailed it in one shot

Posts: 12 | Location: deer park | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Its an Undercover thing I guess.

It's a tire shake/harsh burnout/Hoosier thing. That piece of aluminum has no idea what kind of car it's in.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had my mullis plate made out of 1/4" steel ....

Rick Huffman
Accelerated Graphics
Why was everyone Kung Fu Fighting?

Posts: 598 | Location: Burleson TX | Registered: January 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Its an Undercover thing I guess.

It's a tire shake/harsh burnout/Hoosier thing. That piece of aluminum has no idea what kind of car it's in.

All true but Bill Fredericks as you know who was Undercovers head fabricator told me they did have a run of broken midplates plates. You told me you had a broken plate with your Undercover cars. Bill said they thought it was possibly bad material or the heat from powder coating. Mine was powder coated plus I had some burnout shake issues with the Goodyears I ran at the time. The one I made has not cracked.

Posts: 2409 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Contact Keith Fulp at KeithFulpMotorsports.com
If you have an existing plate or a pattern, he can help you out...

NHRA 203F

Posts: 26 | Location: Bloomingdale, Ga | Registered: January 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
any chassis shop/fabricator can make a plate from his broken one but he wants to get one now, before removing the broken one. One call to Randy at S&W gets him what he wants.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Since this seems to be a common theme, where is everyone noticing the cracks?

Posts: 4 | Location: New York | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Usually around top bolts

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
it is around the top bolt. I sent randy and email but have not heard back yet. when I get time I will call him. and yes trying to get a new one before taking the old one out so can keep racing.thanks for all the input.

Mike Buchwald