DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hoosier 18771 BR1
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoosier 18771 BR1
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Need a new tire was recommended this tire for my supergas door car. Looking for opinions on this tire.

Posts: 60 | Location: div5 | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Not an expert in Hoosier...I thought this tire was designed for much faster dragsters.

Someone will chime in...

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I called and talk with someone at Hoosier and he told me they had done some testing with this tire and highly recommended this tire. Just looking for thoughts on them.

Posts: 60 | Location: div5 | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Not enough running it and not much data.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Did they provide the phone number to a welder to help fix the chassis after all the tire shake?

Posts: 788 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Welder is Right next door to the soap factory to keep your M/T’s from loosing air and the patch factory to fill in the giant M/T blisters. See that was just as helpful to the original question as your comment. I take it you have ran a BR1 on your super gas car and had shake?

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NEMO963:
Welder is Right next door to the soap factory to keep your M/T’s from loosing air and the patch factory to fill in the giant M/T blisters. See that was just as helpful to the original question as your comment. I take it you have ran a BR1 on your super gas car and had shake?

Do you know Ed? Big Grin

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:

Salt much haha

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I was gonna keep quiet but ah hell, we need some debate!

Soap is cheap, welders are expensive.

Blistering tires for peanuts in rewards seems a bit more challenging...

So the popular phrase was really "whats shakin"on the BR1 wasn't it?

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I’ve ran both brands, had good luck with both, just annoyed that evertime a Hoosier question is brought up a bunch of people that don’t have personal or first hand experience on the tire feel the need to jump in and fanboy their favorite tire (not you torq you did the appropriate thing and said what you knew and that maybe someone with first hand knowledge would pipe in eventually). My guess is not many have ran it (as you stated it’s a T/D tire) but Hoosier recommended it and hopefully somebody will say they have and what they thought.

I’ve never shook a Hoosier....I have blistered and had quality problems with MT, my current 3196’s are great....but since the goal is not to help the original poster but to run mouths about some people’s experieces that they heard from a friend when they were talking to the girl at the ET shack...I figured I would do the same with Mickey Thompson’s...by the way your hear they went out of business and they are dead beats when it comes to people that won gift certificates right? I mean that part isn’t true, that’s not even within the same context of the original question, but figured I would throw it out. Also Goodyear is responsible for a number of Top Fuel drivers deaths, the guy who once was on the board at Phoenix tires once gave my dad an over the pants handie.

Now that we covered all the tires and how they suck, anybody run the BR-1 on a super gas car?

(Also I have heard of this Ed guy)

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Well said Nemo! Very cool dude indeed!!!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a 33.5x17x16 Hoosier tire now and have spin at the hit. The tires I have need replacing before the season starts just looking at other options.

Thanks

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by supergas:
I have a 33.5x17x16 Hoosier tire now and have spin at the hit. The tires I have need replacing before the season starts just looking at other options.

Thanks

If you are spinning with that giant tire you might have other issues.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve ran both brands, had good luck with both, just annoyed that evertime a Hoosier question is brought up a bunch of people that don’t have personal or first hand experience on the tire feel the need to jump in and fanboy their favorite tire (not you torq you did the appropriate thing and said what you knew and that maybe someone with first hand knowledge would pipe in eventually). My guess is not many have ran it (as you stated it’s a T/D tire) but Hoosier recommended it and hopefully somebody will say they have and what they thought.

I’ve never shook a Hoosier....I have blistered and had quality problems with MT, my current 3196’s are great....but since the goal is not to help the original poster but to run mouths about some people’s experieces that they heard from a friend when they were talking to the girl at the ET shack...I figured I would do the same with Mickey Thompson’s...by the way your hear they went out of business and they are dead beats when it comes to people that won gift certificates right? I mean that part isn’t true, that’s not even within the same context of the original question, but figured I would throw it out. Also Goodyear is responsible for a number of Top Fuel drivers deaths, the guy who once was on the board at Phoenix tires once gave my dad an over the pants handie.

Now that we covered all the tires and how they suck, anybody run the BR-1 on a super gas car?

(Also I have heard of this Ed guy)

Nemo, Please let me know in your post above which, if any, statements apply to me. I'd like to address these to set the record straight.

Second, the gist of your post above is calling out the negative PR posted about Hoosier tires and that your tired of it. But in your first post in this tread your doing just that but to MT's. HMMMM

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I didn’t think you did Top, I agree bashing MT was a “ED” thing to do, and my point was you can bash any tire (or product) but that doesn’t help the original poster looking for information...I just assumed the negative Hoosier post was coming from a MT fan so I took the opposite side to prove a point, or be contrary...however you want to look at it.

I guess my nature is when someone asks something I don’t reply if I don’t have first hand experience. If I have a negative experience I say “I used it and this happened to me, this is why, how I got around it, or unless they fixed it I would look at this”. I was being sarcastic and taking the other way which is bad mouth it with no backup, explanation, and often no first hand experience. You can say on this case “well everybody complains they shake” which is false on its face since many don’t...and the pool of racer that use BR-1 on a super gas car is sooo small the chances of anybody that jumps in and says they will is most likely taking out their butt. On top of that there are soooooo many variables on tires what works good in my car maynot on yours (power settings, weight, shock settings, suspension settings, track temp, track condition) that a blanket statement like “have a welder” is silly since mine doesn’t shake. Maybe his did but that’s because he doesn’t have enough power or suspension is not right or whatever. Now answering like “man I would be careful with the BR-1 because if you don’t hit it hard enough you may have some shake, I had that and ended up on a c1500 and had much better luck”...that helps the original poster, keep a welder handy not so much. Just like my comment, my Mt’s didn’t leak and I didn’t need soap, I heard people that did...I blistered mine but running 220mph in a 145 degree race track, so I always say “well if your not running 220 on hot tracks you’ll be in good shape with a 3196, but faster than that may want to look at a different tire”...that’s helpful, not “MT sicks they blister”.

Lots of words but that’s my explanation for why I was a smart a$$, not because that’s the type of person I usually am....also it’s cold here and I want to race my car so I’m grumpy.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Would I be better off gong to a 34.5 x 17 x 16 tire? Could use to lower the rpm at the finish line some. Will going bigger take away some at the starting line to make it not spin the tire at the hit?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Probably not enough info to answer that question. It would be less force on the tire at the hit, but maybe the car needs more force to bite.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn’t think you did Top, I agree bashing MT was a “ED” thing to do, and my point was you can bash any tire (or product) but that doesn’t help the original poster looking for information...I just assumed the negative Hoosier post was coming from a MT fan so I took the opposite side to prove a point, or be contrary...however you want to look at it.

I guess my nature is when someone asks something I don’t reply if I don’t have first hand experience. If I have a negative experience I say “I used it and this happened to me, this is why, how I got around it, or unless they fixed it I would look at this”. I was being sarcastic and taking the other way which is bad mouth it with no backup, explanation, and often no first hand experience. You can say on this case “well everybody complains they shake” which is false on its face since many don’t...and the pool of racer that use BR-1 on a super gas car is sooo small the chances of anybody that jumps in and says they will is most likely taking out their butt. On top of that there are soooooo many variables on tires what works good in my car maynot on yours (power settings, weight, shock settings, suspension settings, track temp, track condition) that a blanket statement like “have a welder” is silly since mine doesn’t shake. Maybe his did but that’s because he doesn’t have enough power or suspension is not right or whatever. Now answering like “man I would be careful with the BR-1 because if you don’t hit it hard enough you may have some shake, I had that and ended up on a c1500 and had much better luck”...that helps the original poster, keep a welder handy not so much. Just like my comment, my Mt’s didn’t leak and I didn’t need soap, I heard people that did...I blistered mine but running 220mph in a 145 degree race track, so I always say “well if your not running 220 on hot tracks you’ll be in good shape with a 3196, but faster than that may want to look at a different tire”...that’s helpful, not “MT sicks they blister”.

Lots of words but that’s my explanation for why I was a smart a$$, not because that’s the type of person I usually am....also it’s cold here and I want to race my car so I’m grumpy.

Nemo

I'll add this, first I have run GY, Hoosier and MT on my current ride. 4 link 6.60 to 6.80 dragster, MT's are the hands down winner, the others aren't even close, kinda like the Patriots... Sorry I had to get that in there!

When your running well over 200 MPH your in a different world than the bracket world and no matter what part we are talking about, parts just don't last anywhere as long! It's the Laws of Physics! Bracket dragsters can get over 200 runs on a set of tires, at 220, divide that by 4 if your lucky.

And it's cold at my place too! LOL

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Fuzz
posted Hide Post
I have always run the Hoosier 16x33x 15 on my Camaro but see no need for a bigger tires at my speeds.(170) Labbous runs that big tire 34.5x17x16 on Anthonys corvette I believe and loves them. I can't speak to the BR1 only have seen that on a dragster.

And to the comment above I run the Hoosier TD7s on my Procharger dragster and the last set I put 120 runs on them.

Steve Furr

Posts: 231 | Location: Hollywoods cool Skool | Registered: April 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Steve. I’ll look at at the 34.5x17 tire. The 33.5x17 works ok and national events and struggles on tracks with less than great staring line prep. I’ve trie different converters shocks 4 link settings now need to look at a different tire.