DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Header Tube Size 496 bbc
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Header Tube Size 496 bbc
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of brian hansbury
posted
Been Chasing 60 ft issues on wifes car its a turd motor is 498 bbc made 845 on dyno on gas we run alky dominator but car should be 7.70s easy normally runs 7.90 @ 169 weight is 1840 with her in it !! I bought a set of black dynatechs for it 2 years ago has a huge collector 5 in ….and tube size appears to be 2 3/8 I think this is too big ?

Posts: 16 | Location: east nassau | Registered: April 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Can you borrow a smaller set to try and maybe with a merge?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4490 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brian hansbury:
Been Chasing 60 ft issues on wifes car its a turd motor is 498 bbc made 845 on dyno on gas we run alky dominator but car should be 7.70s easy normally runs 7.90 @ 169 weight is 1840 with her in it !! I bought a set of black dynatechs for it 2 years ago has a huge collector 5 in ….and tube size appears to be 2 3/8 I think this is too big ?

Call the dude in North Carolina that does the Australian Pro Stock headers and used to do headers for all the big name NASCAR teams. I wish I could remember the guys name. I learned more in a 15 minute conversation on headers with him than I've learned my entire life. Nice guy.

They'll be smaller than you might guess if you take his suggestions like I did, but you'll be glad you did. He's gonna ask for your exhaust port size, that'll be the exit with one step most probably. He'll suggest a choke on the collector, I have no idea what size.

Ask around for a name everyone knows this is the guy to talk to. If I find his name and number I'll pm it your way.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
http://www.elstonheaders.com/page5a.html

Calvin is extremely talented! But very busy.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4490 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

That's the dude. BMF headers, nice guy too

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Brian what kind of 60s are we talking about? Rear gear and tire size and stall?

Any time I've seen people post A-b-a header tests the results have shown minimal gains compared to what your looking for. That being said I run straight 2.25" and a 4" collector.

When I got my 565 a few years ago it was running 4.90/7.90 car got all the way down into the 50s with just carburetor changes

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a 489 CID Brian with a 2 1/4 to 4 inch but im not even sure if this is to big for my motor it ran well but I also felt I was leaving a lot on the table in the 60 ft

Posts: 406 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

Calvin is extremely talented! But very busy.

He called me back two weeks later. Very helpful and I didn't spend a penny with him. My car dipped into the 1.20's 60ft 3200lbs sbc N/A first time to the track following his suggestions, on test n tune prep. 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 to a 2 5/8 choke. 23 deg 427. I usually ran a muffler, when I heard the way that sounded, there was no way I was putting a muffler on it.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Went 1.30 60 ft with a 4.11 gear 1/4 mile 10.0 index racing 400 pro tree. Reaction times were effected as well probably 015.

Headers matter

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
498 bbc made 845 on dyno on gas we run alky dominator but car should be 7.70s easy normally runs 7.90 @ 169 weight is 1840 with her in it !! huge collector 5 in ….and tube size appears to be 2 3/8 I think this is too big ?

Hell yeah, Those headers are waaaay to big !!!

According to the Wallace HP calculator you're only making about 700 flywheel hp , Our 454 bracket car makes about 740 hp using the same formula and only has a 2" header with 3.5" collector. Not sure they're your loss, but I doubt they are helping .........

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Brian I have a set of 2 1/4” straight to 4” collector if you want to try them. I ran them on the 433 and on the 555 the first year we built it. Then put 2 1/4 stepped to 3/8 with a merge collector on it. First day I swapped them A to B it picked up a couple hundredths but after comparing data over a season of racing I don’t think they’re any faster.

In my opinion the headers you have on it are big for the engine, but like Denis said gains in headers don’t seem to be as much as people hope for, at least in the bracket racing world without lots of dyno testing.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Brian I have a set of 2 1/4” straight to 4” collector if you want to try them. I ran them on the 433 and on the 555 the first year we built it. Then put 2 1/4 stepped to 3/8 with a merge collector on it. First day I swapped them A to B it picked up a couple hundredths but after comparing data over a season of racing I don’t think they’re any faster.

In my opinion the headers you have on it are big for the engine, but like Denis said gains in headers don’t seem to be as much as people hope for, at least in the bracket racing world without lots of dyno testing.

^^^
There you go... the dyno is good for basic setup but the track is where the header tuning is done. I bet his numbers really pick up with the smaller set but it will require some fuel adjustments as well as two step etc...

Merry Christmas!

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...without lots of dyno testing.

Rhere-Morrison, at least use to, give header specs for it's engines. Granted their not likely to list a 498 but may list a 505. Would also check other players in the crate engine biz. After all, they have put in the dyno time plus their reputation. And a phone call is cheap.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2335 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
On a dragster with a BB the size of the headers is not the reason for slow ET's or 60' time issues...

Converter.....cam.....carb....or something else would all be way more likely to be the cause...

If that's my old car.....with an injected 460 at about the same weight with an 8" converter it ran 7.90's- 8.0's at close to 170 in average air at Island.....7.70's-7.80's in mineshaft air....at 170-171 at Etown

I don't recall the 60's but I'd guess 1.09-1.10-1.11 .. ….Hoosier 15" tires...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It is only showing 740 HP going down the track.

If it were mine, I would be running a 2" header with 3.5" collectors.

My SBC makes over 900 HP with the 2" headers/3.5" collectors for reference also. 3400 lb car.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Rich it is your old car 2 different convertors one from FTI the One IN There new This year From Abbruzzi tires are same height as they where 33 inch tall 4.10 gear still 60 are normally 1.14-1.15 if it had a 1.09or1.10 I would be happy that's where I thought it should be !!
Jamie I would love to try those headers also ...

Posts: 16 | Location: east nassau | Registered: April 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brian hansbury:
Rich it is your old car 2 different convertors one from FTI the One IN There new This year From Abbruzzi tires are same height as they where 33 inch tall 4.10 gear still 60 are normally 1.14-1.15 if it had a 1.09or1.10 I would be happy that's where I thought it should be !!
Jamie I would love to try those headers also ...

Maybe my car is lame in 60ft but it was going 1.09-1.10 Thursday of the bracket finals going 7.49-7.52

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Ron’s Terminator 60’s faster than carbs.

I am really not sure what the numbers were on that car back then.

My current car going 7.45-7.50 with a 565 and a Terminator went 1.07-1.08 in 60’

On gas with a 1050 carb it would lose a little 60’ but ran very close in ET and MPH

Car weighs around 1950lbs

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks For The Input Everyone … thinking Sending The Carb To Nickerson and Have Him Go through it hasn't been there since we bought it used 7 years ago only changed floats and needle and seats

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Brian anytime just remind me in the spring.

Denis I just looked at my Thursday bracket finals, the 2 slips I had saved in my phone were both 7.431 with 1.072 60, I’m usually 1.09 sometimes 1.10 going low 50s in the heat. 1.10 would be a fast 60 for a 7.80 car, I don’t think you’re missing as much as you think in the 60 Brian.

In my experience the converter has a lot to do with 60, looser has always been faster for us but the question is how much finish line RPM are you comfortable spinning it. What’s the flash/fallback of the converter that’s in it now?

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post