DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    GMC Acadia - Help !
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GMC Acadia - Help !
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Deal Racing
posted
I have a 2010 GMC Acadia. Within the last few months whenever I hit any kind of bumps something rattles in the front end. I put brand new struts on and went and had the car aligned still the same problems but now the sound is 10 times worse after I installed the new struts. So I take it to the dealership and they look at it and everything looks nice and tight no issues but maybe the sway bar link so I buy two along with buying 2 new control arm. I get everything back together and take it for a ride same sound nothing changed and I’m now $850 into this and nothing is resolved. What the heck could it be ? HELP !!!

Posts: 112 | Location: Y-Town, Ohio | Registered: September 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check sway bar to frame bushings. Any play around rubber will make a bumping rattle sound....Only takes very little play..

Posts: 81 | Location: Ringtown, Pa. | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Were the upper strut mounts changed?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
im with the bender on this one.upper strut mount bearing plates

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Deal Racing
posted Hide Post
I bought a complete strut unit with spring and all...

Posts: 112 | Location: Y-Town, Ohio | Registered: September 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
There is a GMC Acadia owners forum out there, you can find it with a quick Google search. Most models have a forum of some kind and they are usually a wealth of information, especially in a case like this.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a complete strut unit with spring and all...

That's not to say you necessarily got the upper bearing the strut rotates on.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2335 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Deal Racing
posted Hide Post
Please forgive me if I sound dumb but I bought the whole spring : strut kit and everything is one complete kit so basically you take the three bolts off the top just below the windshield wipers and bolt the new one back up all I had to do on the new strut was rotate the bolts around to match up with the existing strut I took off.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Sway bar frame bushings as said above,cheap and easy try.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
check your hood mounting bolts sometimes they get loose and rattle over bumps

Posts: 1015 | Location: LIVERMORE CA. | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
also frt. brake pads rattle also over bumps remove wheel and use a rubber mallot and tap the caliper and see if you hear any rattling.

Posts: 1015 | Location: LIVERMORE CA. | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Also the steering coupler gets loose and rattles over bumps

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
My Envoy had a rattle in the LF. It turned out to be a loose bolt in the inner fender. Jack the frt. and beat on the tire with a rubber hammer and see if you can duplicate rattle.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Deal Racing
posted Hide Post
Checked all these things ....still rattling under drivers feet every time you hit a bump. I bought the sway bar rubber bushing. That’s the only thing left to change and the front end will be new !

DRR Trophy
Picture of Deal Racing
posted Hide Post
I even unhooked the sway bar links and drove it down the road and the noise was still there. So wouldn’t that remove the sway bar bushings out of the problems ?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Deal Racing
posted Hide Post
Wonder if I got a defective left strut ?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
If it got much worse after installing the struts, that's a pretty safe bet.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The steering coupler is right under your feet as mentioned previously,replace it problem solved.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
still rattling under drivers feet every time you hit a bump

sure sounds like steering shaft

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tighten the subframe bolts

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post