Find
Notify
Tools

Spark plugs
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of R.BOLDEN
posted
Has anyone heard or done this.... I run NGK #7 plugs and I’ve got a few racer friends that take that same plug new out of the box and they take the ground strap off and screw them in and go race.just wondering if anybody out there does this

Posts: 9 | Location: morristown,tn | Registered: October 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Had a friend years ago that ran comp eliminator who did the same thing.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
You have to be talking strap cut back, not off.
old trick

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of R.BOLDEN
posted Hide Post
They take the strap completely off

Posts: 9 | Location: morristown,tn | Registered: October 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
That would prove the worth of one's ignition system!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.BOLDEN:
I’ve got a few racer friends that take the plug new out of the box and they take the ground strap off and screw them in and go race

Did you ask your friends what the performance benefit from doing this is?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Wow! No, I am not cutting off the ground strap. I would have to see definitive proof on dyno and track to even consider it.

And if it worked they would come like that from the factory.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I know a comp racer running plugs with no strap... but they were made that way

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you ask your friends what the performance benefit from doing this is?

I can only imagine it's to unshroud the spark (one hellofva spark I might add). Much like indexing the ground strap or Autolite's cutback ground strap.

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if i did that i would have nothing to burn off

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

LOL yes this!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6397 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My friend claimed 8 to 15 hp on the dyno.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Surface gap plugs have been around since mid 90's, that I know of. The are not cheap ! your gap is created by the threaded base of plug is made at .035, or whatever.
Ive seen a few folks that cut the strap back to similate that same thing, for clearance issues, like very small chambers.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surface gap plugs have been around...

You will note he said: "I run NGK #7 plugs and I’ve got a few racer friends that take that same plug new out of the box and they take the ground strap off and screw them in and go race."

So it's not a surface gap plug per se. It is a projected tip plug that has to gap back to the plug base. That's one hell of a spark!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surface gap plugs have been around since mid 90's, that I know of.

Actually earlier than that. We had a 1988 Mazda RX7 Turbo that used surface gap plugs, and 2 different types depending on position in engine. Leading and trailing. Besides being expensive at that time, they were only good for 12k miles and the center tips were burnt completely out of them.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
You can cut the ground and bend it to be a side gap....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

Laughing very hard

best quote on DRR this year!

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Brisk spark plugs. Remember the video?. I would venture to try these first instead of wack and hack. (Meltdown) lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnsUAqC3ON0&t=2s

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For years I've run cut back ground straps. Also careful of making sure the plugs are clocked so the opening is facing the piston face.

Just the way I've always done it. No adverse effects.

Back when I was after every bit of ET it made a slight difference. Could also see it in af ratio with slight better burn with cut back vs standard.

For bracket racing. Prob not worth the time.

Other tid bit of info.. Knock on wood. I've never experienced fouled plug in 20 years of racing like some complain about. Anything to it??? Don't know.

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
My friend claimed 8 to 15 hp on the dyno.

IF that is true it is very significant but still IF it was true they would probably come like that from factory. And like someone else already said this is not a surface gap plug they are talking taking ground strap off of NGK plugs.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post