DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dead hook or wheel speed. Which is faster?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dead hook or wheel speed. Which is faster?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Let's start over: DRAGSTER GUYS
If you have every knob to turn and button to push to control power everywhere in a run....which is faster? I switched to the m/t 3080's this year, and discovered that they can shake too. LOL. Usually about where it starts to hook the tire hard. The tire starts to lose speed at .35 seconds, and goes into shake at .75 seconds. We lowered the tire pressure and it went away. But we don't have enough test runs to figure which approach may be fastest to the 60' for us. 6 psi keeps the shake away, but we have yet to make a really decent 60' run at that pressure.. I hear people say sometimes less is more. Should I pull power before the shake area and work the tire pressure up? Hit the tire hard and try to keep it hooked all the time? Unhooked I have been 1.08, which is not the best for the car. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. LOL.
Any experience? High 6 second four link dragster with 19 psi boost down track. Small block.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The less deformation in the tire, the less energy it loses.

That's why the radial tires are fastest by a wide margin. Less rolling resistance.

Instead of air pressure, damper valving. Our shocks have 160 clicks of adjustment, we won't outgrow them. Plenty of adjustment.

Keeping the tire round is fastest.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

That's why the radial tires are fastest by a wide margin. Less rolling resistance.

Instead of air pressure, damper valving.

Theory is all well and good. But how may pipe racks are on radials? The top dragster and top fuel guys ought to be screaming for a radial tire? Maybe I'm missing the boat here, but I don't see the top dragster guys leaving wrinkle free either.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I missed some info I think. Best so far 6.95/194

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Instead of air pressure, damper valving.

Theory is all well and good. But how may pipe racks are on radials? The top dragster and top fuel guys ought to be screaming for a radial tire? Maybe I'm missing the boat here, but I don't see the top dragster guys leaving wrinkle free either.

The emphasis of my point is a round tire is fastest, relatively speaking.

If you have a shock with 16 clicks of compression and rebound, you're out of options real quick, in comparison to damper with 80 high speed clicks of adjustment and 66 low speed on both compression and rebound.

You never outgrow them. You may only be talking two three hundredths, but it keeps it interesting experimentation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I seem to have more control over the shock than I ever have at this point.

I understand the generality of "you need better shocks" and "don't deform the tire".

Have you tuned moderately quick dragsters? Or are you using info from door car tuning?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a loaded for bear set low and high speed adjusters for a NHRA Super Stocker with a clutch. Now this is gonna be fun.

We'll have our work cut out, or it could go like clockwork. I had black everything out, we're keeping the car itself on the down low.

Bad ass ride though. Looking forward to working on it.

PAC springs they got from Eibach.

PAC springs are excellent if you can find them.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
I know less than nothing about what a dragster wants, but you would not get away with dead hooking a 6.90's door car.

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, 6 posts and Buckys thread derails.
Incredible.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
"dead hook" is just a term thrown around. I understand what is meant by the term, but if taken literally, I'd think that's the last thing you'd want with a dragster. I always aim for "turn the tire just enough" or "tire speed" on my digger. Either with rpm, engine power, convertor, nose weight, tire pressure, tire height or width.....any or all of those things....
Leave as hard (G's and 60') as possible up until you lose control of the tires contact with the track. Do to tire shake or slippage....

Just my humble opinion(s) of course.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
My hardtail car loved wheel speed..... to a point

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
My hardtail car loved wheel speed..... to a point

I’m afraid my hp level is not to that level. Only 406 ci and the boost isn’t immediate

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
What are your .250 and .5 second DS rpms ?

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would love 1386

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Controlled wheel speed will always be faster. Went thru this discussion back in 90's when most guys thought they where doing something when they hooked a car like it was glues to starting line.Then cam data acquisition for the mass'. You could show them where the engine dropped its dyck in the dirt at the hit.They where all thinking pull clutch to free motor up. Actually throwing more clutch to get car up on tire worked lot better,

Biggest difference with converter is it normally just makes getting rpm to climb above stall speed harder. Now as for shocks I am out of discussion.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Those seem manageable. Keep an eye on these numbers and as your 60' gets better or worse you will answer your own question. I am not sure if you can dead hook it without really slowing it down a bunch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 27Keith,

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
I would love 1386

Remember too it's 4.10 gear and 33" tire. So my wheel speed may not be as substantial as yours with bigger tires.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
4.80 car 143

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
I would love 1386

Remember too it's 4.10 gear and 33" tire. So my wheel speed may not be as substantial as yours with bigger tires.

good point

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post