DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Why are bolt together converters High?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are bolt together converters High?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
Can you pull your trans at the track and make adjustments to it easily? Is it like the last converter you will ever have to buy?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Can you pull your trans at the track and make adjustments to it easily? Is it like the last converter you will ever have to buy?

Yes, I can get one to you for less than you think, ask banjo if he got a good one,... right (fast).

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
As a friend says about divorce.They are hig bcause they are worth it?

Just a joke. I am looking into getting one also.mainly I think it will allow me to run with different combos and get better dialed to each and cheaper than 2 or 3 regular converters.

Wonder how many guys are bracket racing with one?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4171 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Once you have the converter out of the car it takes about 30 minutes or less to swap the stator. So it just depends how hard you want to work at the track. I have only had mine apart at the track once, and that was to clean it after I murdered the trans.
I have 2 stators, I run the tighter one in the spring good air then swap one that's a tick looser for the hot months but I swap it at home

Posts: 2408 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Because they can't charge you $250 - $300 to inspect it or adjust it.... Cool

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1612 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1. there is about 3-4 times the amount of time required to build one
2. the different components are made from raw materials that are expensive
3. the different components normally require additional manufacturing time prior to the build process

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 18 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i havnt changed stators since i put it in 3 years ago

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Billet Front bowl no more flexing or cracking around mounting pads.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They are nice but man the price!
The item that amazes me is beadlock wheels. And folks line up to buy them for cars that have no need for them.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6372 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We don’t “need” bolt together converters, bead lock wheels, billet carbs, stainless steel headers, yada, yada, yada but some of us choose to buy these parts because we can, because we want them, because they look cool, least of which is because we think we will run quicker/faster with them. Meanwhile those that want these parts too, but can’t afford them moan about the price, biotching how expensive racing is because they think they are entitled to them. Didn't think of that

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
To OP's question. Look at the machining work and welding that goes into one. Plus anything that is a hot ticket item is going to cost more.. I don't like the cost and haven't gotten one because of it yet. It is on the list but it is a long list and some things are more important or more needed IMO. If I had not already bought a converter then I would probably go for one, Hindsight is great and at times it just piss' you off.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4171 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post