DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Oil Restrictors in GM block, yes or no?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil Restrictors in GM block, yes or no?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
It seems like everywhere and everyone you ask has a different opinion. Mark 4 GM block, bracket motor, isky ez roll lifters, shaft rockers with spring oilers.

Yes or no on oil restrictors at the back?

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
yes no less than .100

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
No oil restrictors. Haven't used them in years.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sure, why not Gen 4 block? Oil draining back on the rotator is friction,... correct?

I always ran 100's on the two BBC's I ran. Both made decent power steel heads, utilizing that approach... 427 - 454

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Back in the day they wanted the oil restricted to the lifters and thus the rockers. Keep it on the bearings. Now they want plenty of oil to the lifters to prevent wear. I stopped restricting the oil.

Posts: 192 | Location: ny | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Will, In order to answer you restrictor question I would ask you what pump are you using, what weight oil and how many gallons you run in the sump. And also due you use parachutes? Answer the above and It will help answer the restrictor question. A high volume pump can empty a pan very quickly and load the heads with oil. If not enough oil in the pan and you pull the chutes you can run the remaining oil forward thus causing cavitation of the oil going to the bearings. Not a good thing.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD1964:
Will, In order to answer you restrictor question I would ask you what pump are you using, what weight oil and how many gallons you run in the sump. And also due you use parachutes? Answer the above and It will help answer the restrictor question. A high volume pump can empty a pan very quickly and load the heads with oil. If not enough oil in the pan and you pull the chutes you can run the remaining oil forward thus causing cavitation of the oil going to the bearings. Not a good thing.

No on the restrictors, the lifters them selves restrict oil to the top end.

On the second part, the old story of a high volume pump "filling the heads up with oil" is BS....total and complete. Hate to address it like that but it gets old seeing it. Regardless of the output of the pump, it will only move as much oil as the leakage in the engine will allow. If you have too much oil staying in the rocker arm area of the heads, you have a drainback issue, NOT A PUMP ISSUE. You need to correct drain back. I ran a 7 quart wet sump pan on my last engine with a Titan pump, very well known for the volume of oil they can move. NEVER AN ISSUE with "too much oil on the top end, NONE...

Sorry to go off like that, but I just get tired of that being tossed around like it's gospel when it's been proven wrong....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
One more thing to add. If you're losing pressure on the top end under braking, you have the wrong pan.....or too little oil in it.

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We test pans on our dyno weekly. We fab pans weekly. 47 plus years of fabrication. When I started , I welded and offset ground my own cranks in my own shop. Trust me son, I have seen it all. Did I say use oil restrictors?
Please don't let the facts get in the way of what you believe. LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD1964,

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Never said you said to use restrictors....that was an answer to Will....

I stand firm on my statement about oil on the top end though....not a pump issue, it's a drainback issue....

And we don't race dynos, dyno won't show what happens on a track.....hehehehhehe

Had to throw that in there.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alaskaracer,

Mark Goulette

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD1964:
moroso billet spur gear pump, Brad Penn 20-50, 7 quarts in Stef's kickout pan, no parachute. Motor will spin 7500 or so.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
With stock blocks and Moroso pumps I used restrictors and drilled the holes out to a larger size.

Did not have any problems using them that way.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I stopped using galley restrictors and started using restricted push rods. No problems. Using Crower hippo lifters. I sent them to Crower after 327 runs for a rebuild. Crower said they look new and didn't want to rebuild.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Street motor no restrictors, drag race motor, yes restrictors, and I'll go .100" to .125" because I like to party.
Oil is the coolant for the upper valve train.

Again though, with all the variables in engine purpose and goals for HP production, we could talk for days on end about different oil control strategies, I'm commenting on common use parameters. Sporty street and bracket racing.

I will add this.....since you are running that 20-50 syrup for oil, you can probably do without the restrictors. Laughing Hard

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
I stopped using galley restrictors and started using restricted push rods. No problems. Using Crower hippo lifters. I sent them to Crower after 327 runs for a rebuild. Crower said they look new and didn't want to rebuild.
how small is the pushrod hole? This has trend .165 wall .375 diameter pushrods

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I would run at least 0.10” unless you have measured you lifter to bore clearance. If you have and the clearance is 0.001 to 0.0015, you can leave them out. Some never check that and hot oil is gushing all over the place. Buy a small bore dial bore gauge, measure it yourself and be certain.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have made this comment before but when you order gears for your fancy a$$ Moroso billet pump you will get Melling parts shipped to your door. I would not be surprised if the cast pumps would maintain better tolerance in the heat cycle vs aluminum.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:

These are Smith Brothers .375 with .080 restriction. I can't remember the wall thickness but I can look it up if you need it. I had them cut keeper grooves in them for rev kit springs so they're probably .165 minimum.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
I have made this comment before but when you order gears for your fancy a$$ Moroso billet pump you will get Melling parts shipped to your door. I would not be surprised if the cast pumps would maintain better tolerance in the heat cycle vs aluminum.
dragsters are notorious for breaking pick ups and pump bases on cast iron pumps, so I use billet pumps only on dragster motors

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:

These are Smith Brothers .375 with .080 restriction. I can't remember the wall thickness but I can look it up if you need it. I had them cut keeper grooves in them for rev kit springs so they're probably .165 minimum.
ok. By my math the hole is these pushrods is only .045, thank you

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link