DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Glide input shaft stuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glide input shaft stuck
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Spare trans that has sat in the shop a while.
Put it in my son's car, and it has servo pressure, but won't move in any gear. park works. Pulled the trans, input shaft is correct for the converter. But I can't turn it or remove it.
What's goin on here?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6358 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Probably the wedding band hanging it up.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Would be my first guess too. Had one I couldn't pull before but would turn, guess if can seize one way it could the other too. Since trans is out just yank pump and drum. Got to love simplicity of a glide.

Plus we all know wedding bands will mess things up. Hey somebody was going to say it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
First thing I thought when I read wedding ring. Causes so many problems for so many.

So loosen up the band, pull the pump and drum and remove the ring? So I need another at that point? How do I prevent this going forward?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6358 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
You said you can't turn the input shaft? I don't think the wedding band/bushing will cause that.
Either way when you pull the pump and drum you should find the problem. When you said you have servo pressure I'm guessing you put a gauge on it and have pressure in 1st and 2nd.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
You said you can't turn the input shaft? I don't think the wedding band/bushing will cause that.
Either way when you pull the pump and drum you should find the problem. When you said you have servo pressure I'm guessing you put a gauge on it and have pressure in 1st and 2nd.

Right I can't turn it
I only checked in 1st but yes had a gauge meeting.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the band was backed off (adjusted)? Could have pinched the thrust bearing on the planetary but usually it just won't go in if that is messed up. I agree, loosen band first, try it. If that doesn't do anything just take the pump out and take a look.
Good luck with it.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Had the wedding band on the last one I took apart hosed up just enough to keep the shaft stuck in place.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Are you sure the band was backed off (adjusted)? Could have pinched the thrust bearing on the planetary but usually it just won't go in if that is messed up. I agree, loosen band first, try it. If that doesn't do anything just take the pump out and take a look.
Good luck with it.

First thing I checked after not being able to move it. Band was fine.
I stuck my other trans in for now and will check this out over the winter. Just thought maybe it was a quick and easy fix.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Throw that wedding band in the trash! Witnessed many get placed in the trash by the Longs from SD.

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If the input won't turn as stated by the OP, you're not gonna have anything when you put it in any gear.

Sounds to me like it blew the lip seal off the high gear piston and now has the hub pinned to the drum cover (rocked sideways), taking out low gear. Running, it's got park in every gear.

It's not the wedding band. Not even close. If a builder uses a chitty wedding band for an assembly, it can possibly make the input shaft difficult to remove for the next guy comes along after him.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I’m predicting two separate issues.
Glide input shaft stuck and can’t be pulled out is typically a way different issue than one that is can’t rotate from input shaft. Yes, the wedding band bushing is typically the issue when it can’t be pulled out, but could be the stator tube or ring seals.
Unable to turn, if not the band, could be a few other things and none that are good. Planetary damage or thrust clearance gone.
Good luck.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post