Find
Notify
Tools

Paint or Wrap?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted
So we are taking delivery of our new Dragster in a week or two and trying to decide if we should see about getting the body wrapped or painted. IF we do paint it will more than likely be one color with some graphics rather than trying to paint several colors.

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
PAINT...if solid color I would powder coat...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

The chassis is already powder coated, I am thinking the body it has a one piece fiberglass body. would it hold up to powder coat?

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddie:
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

The chassis is already powder coated, I am thinking the body it has a one piece fiberglass body. would it hold up to powder coat?

I don't think you can powder coat fiberglass. Non conductive.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Powder will require oven curing at approximately 400F. I like vinyl. It’s actually very possible to wrap your one piece body, with one piece of vinyl, if so desired.

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If powder coating/baking thin sheet metal I sure would do some research regarding warpage.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
If powder coating/baking thin sheet metal I sure would do some research regarding warpage.

One piece fiberglass body.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I'd wrap it, and I'm a painter Razz

In a sea of one dragster is nicer than the next and most of the paint schemes have been duplicated over and over with slight variations, wrapping allows you some incredible options. I was parked next to a 65 Nova at Maple Grove that had an American flag and eagle scheme down the side. Top was paint and the graphics were a wrap and looked amazing !!!

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Wraps look ok ,but nothing beats paint.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
Wraps look ok ,but nothing beats paint.

X2

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
X3!

Paint has permanency...wraps lose luster in one year in the sun racing...never mind the edges peeling and the bubbles in curvatures.

JMO

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post