DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Domestic content rotating assemblies / parts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Domestic content rotating assemblies / parts
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted
I haven't needed to shop for much since the turn of the century, and the time has come to gather the parts for the next smallblock.

I'm looking for 1.5 HP per cube adequate stuff, with the MOST DOMESTIC content.
Not interested in pounding my chest about how much I spent for stuff I don't need. I can race fine with claimer parts, but it's all CHINA.
Not worried about price as much as value.
I can buy almost anything at WD price.
I used to buy Lunati assemblies exclusively.

Must haves:

I-Beam rods with cap screws.
NOT Mahle pistons in an assembly.

So those that have been shopping and paying attention, chime in on your research, please.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
So Crower wins the day for my connecting rods, they are on the way. I don't need them right now, but the price said NOW!
Max Lite 1's, more than adequate.
No sales tax, saved me $70+ on the jump, free shipping.
Nice folks too, I'll be looking at the crankshafts as well.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Damn!
It's even harder than I thought it would be to find what I want in crankshafts and pistons.

Doesn't anyone make a 400 main crank anymore?

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Conflicting information abounds in the crankshaft world...some claim 100% USA materials and manufacturing, some claim ALL crankshaft forgings sold in the US are imported, and all the prices seem to show whether it's imported or not....

At least so far.
Molnar has moved way up the list.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Liberty has Chinese 2.650 main cranks,

Posts: 691 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with import cranks for small blocks. Currently been using a Scat lightened crank for about 5 years in a 720HP 421.
Just replaced a 2 year old Compstar crank in a 582 cause it cracked through the 7-8 journal.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can say for sure is to absolutely, under no circumstance, use Manley rods.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:

Never heard of them, interesting.

I do have a 350 main block that will probably get the call for this build, based on the availability.

Going to overspend on this build, just to help my grandkids understand the importance of Made in U.S.A.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:

Going to overspend on this build, just to help my grandkids understand the importance of Made in U.S.A.

Bryant and Winberg billet cranks definitely fit those parameters Big Grin

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:

Bryant and Winberg billet cranks definitely fit those parameters Big Grin

They're on the list, as well as Molnar, Callies, and Crower.

But, it would seem that anything except billet are going to be Chinese sourced.

goob- never seen a u-haul behind a hearse

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:

Never heard of them, interesting.

I do have a 350 main block that will probably get the call for this build, based on the availability.

Nothing wrong with that if there's a result.

Late better than never, I did it in 2007 with Lunati Pro 3.875 stroke crank, rods Made IN USA.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Liberty is a wholesale supplier and they repackage SCAT cranks and rods

I just built a 400 SB using a Liberty crank and rods with the ARP2000 bolt upgrade

No issues with sizing or quality. Crank was nice for a budget piece

I've had very little problems over the years using everything from Eagle to Manley and Lunati and Crower and even Oliver

Eagle sizing was poor on cranks.....rods were ok usually

Every other brand no problem...

My motor out in my garage has a Callies Magnum and Callies Ultra H Beams

Previously it had the same crank in a shorter stroke and Manley rods........went many runs without a peep.....2013 to 2020 with at least one freshen up including rod bolts, rings, bearings

I ran an Eagle crank and rods for years in a 460 cube engine with a Terminator and never had any bottom end failures other than one self inflicted event....

I used Manley Sportsman SB rods with good results

BB Manley H beams with good bolts, no failures.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:
I've had good luck with import cranks for small blocks. Currently been using a Scat lightened crank for about 5 years in a 720HP 421.
Just replaced a 2 year old Compstar crank in a 582 cause it cracked through the 7-8 journal.

8 counter balance 4.250 Scat finished in Indiana.

Rod journals vary three ten thousands, main journals 2.

Hydraulic roller 496 going in a rotisseri 66 Chevelle.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

I just built a 400 SB using a Liberty crank and rods with the ARP2000 bolt upgrade

I've had very little problems over the years using everything from Eagle to Manley and Lunati and Crower and even Oliver

Previously it had the same crank in a shorter stroke and Manley rods........went many runs without a peep.....2013 to 2020 with at least one freshen up including rod bolts, rings, bearings

I ran an Eagle crank and rods for years in a 460 cube engine with a Terminator and never had any bottom end failures other than one self inflicted event....

Eagle 8 counter finished in Indiana tolerances as good as the Scat.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If I ran an import it would be a Molnar or a Pep.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
If I ran an import it would be a Molnar or a Pep.

Ummm, according to my research, those are imported forgings.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

It breaks my heart that the Lunati products are nearly all gone.
Both of my previous rotating assemblies are Lunati, vintage 1999 CAST crank, I-beam rods, Lunati/Taylor pistons. A valve retainer smoked my 406 after 800+ runs, crank was okay.

Got a cast Scat in my last grenade, it suffered a shattered valve seat event, haven't looked at the crank yet. It was a $700 build with 7 used pistons, and one cylinder at .060" over with a new piston..... Laughing Hard

I've used Manley / Callies / Eagle / Hank the Crank / Chevrolet / Scat over the years.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
By the way, scored a set of Crower Maxi-Lite SBC rods for under $1000 the other day, they had another set in stock at that price.

"Nobody wants this stuff anymore, we're just trying to recover our materials cost".

That is me to a T, I always shop the unloved stuff.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Does Callies still using induction hardening on the upper end cranks?

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Does Callies still using induction hardening on the upper end cranks?

Man, it's hard to get solid information, the online catalogs these days are a soup sandwich at best.
I'm digging.

Dave Cook
N375