DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tubes or not Tubes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tubes or not Tubes
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mr Bill
posted
I am putting new rims and tires on the front of my door car, that I just purchased, and want to know should I run tubes or not?

Posts: 40 | Location: Flint, MI | Registered: October 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Checked my car out last night after racing this weekend and found this screw in my tire. Don’t know when it happened in the 2 days I was on the track, but the tire still holding air. I put a tire plug in it from the outside. You can’t do this with tubes. I've done the same with the fronts.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
No tubes. Never knew anybody to run tubes in front and very few in rear.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
One guy I know runs tubes in his rears and no idea how it happened but the tube twisted inside the tire and completely threw the balance of the tire off and cause the sidewall of the tire to cave in... Have also never heard of running tubes in the fronts. It honestly just adds unnecessary weight, if they're new wheels and tires, there should be ZERO issues with tires holding air.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What does the wheel/tire manufactures recommend? They are the one's that R&D their products, and customer satisfaction at stake.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
No tubes or screws its not 1970 anymore.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Checked my car out last night after racing this weekend and found this screw in my tire. Don’t know when it happened in the 2 days I was on the track, but the tire still holding air. I put a tire plug in it from the outside. You can’t do this with tubes. I've done the same with the fronts.
If you are going to continue to use the tire, either patch it with one of the patches that vulcanize from the inside and have the rubber stem that goes through the tire, or put a tube in it.
A flat at speed would be bad bad.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
plug it cut the plug down and burnout. You will have a hard time find the plug after

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I did exactly what he said above twice last year. Plug-cut-race.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
What does the wheel/tire manufactures recommend? They are the one's that R&D their products, and customer satisfaction at stake.

Old thread I know. But Hoosier and M/T both offer tubes, and offer no guidance about whether you should or shouldn't. Just some facts which are nice.
I have heard some say that a tube can stiffen up a tire enough to reduce the tendency to shake the tires. Any experience?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6391 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My MT 3183's say TUBE TYPE right on the side of them. I've never run tubes in them nor has anyone I know.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I prefer to run tubeless when possible. You can run a tube to stiffen up sidewalls and it does help on some cars.

I used tubes as a tuning tool to help stop bounce at the hit and it was effective.

If you do not have to save the weight and money and run tubeless.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have also never heard of running tubes in the fronts.

Kids! Back when Super Tricks were 2 piece you had better run tubes in the front. Ancient history I know.... just saying..... never

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have M/T front tires (no tubes) on two different cars with different wheels. Both sets leak about 2 lbs per tire a week. I have overfilled them, sunk them in a water tank, and cannot find the source of the leaks. I guess I will soap them inside and see if that helps. My M/T slicks (no tubes) do not leak. Any ideas what is going on?

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hoosier's front and back, no tubes. Have not used tubes in the last 35 years, (maybe 40) never been a problem.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe C:
I have M/T front tires (no tubes) on two different cars with different wheels. Both sets leak about 2 lbs per tire a week. I have overfilled them, sunk them in a water tank, and cannot find the source of the leaks. I guess I will soap them inside and see if that helps. My M/T slicks (no tubes) do not leak. Any ideas what is going on?

Some of the Weld wheels have an O-Ring around the valve stem and they get dry and crack then leak.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Hoosier's front and back, no tubes. Have not used tubes in the last 35 years, (maybe 40) never been a problem.

Bob

same here Bob but 30 years. Never had a flat at the track, a few times in the lanes that I didn't have fixed in minutes.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Plug it and forget it!

Had one slick with three plugs and I'm still here to tell my story!

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post