DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Diesels and Cold Weather
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diesels and Cold Weather
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted
Question for you guys that run diesels up in cold country. Any special fuel or additives recommended for really cold weather?
We are heading into the coldest week-10 days of weather seen in this part of the country in a long time. (I realize it is nothing for you Northern folks, but for us, 0* is extremely cold). And not supposed to get above 30* for at about a week.
Truck has been starting fine in low 20's, I have no idea what temperature range will affect diesel fuel in a bad way.
I doubt they "winterize" fuel here, (or maybe they do that nationwide)? I do not use any fuel additive, but if there is something that you think might be a good idea, please share it.
I am just over half-tank now, planning to go fuel up this afternoon.

Also, my truck has a factory block heater built in, I have never used it. Forecasts vary depending on source, but most are saying low single digit lows (0*-1*) Sunday night-Tuesday Should I plug it in on those nights?

Thanks for sharing any advice.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Use Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement and you’ll be fine. If you are really worried plug in the block heater. I’ve never used mine.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had any problems and only occasionally add any fuel additive.

I have used my block heater in really frigid weather. It helps but is not necessary.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'd plug it in and see if it's working. Will make it easier to start if it's plugged in plus you'll have heat faster. Unplug BEFORE starting or there's a good chance the heater will quit working. Diesel Service fuel additive is good stuff and you can buy it everywhere, white bottle for winter.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Plug the heater in after the engines already warmed up.

You should see an arc at the plug when you connect it and that tells you it's drawing current and working.

Every diesel backup generator my company services has block heaters. Inside or outside units .....some won't start without the engine being warm....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat as FootbrakeJim. Thanks for all the replies. I have never used my plug-in heater, but I always add Diesel Service fuel additive. My 2007 Duramax has 196,000 miles and is still going strong.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If mine had a heater I would be plugging in for sure, wish it did.

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Never used an additive. Fuel at the pumps changes in winter months so there isn't as much paraffin in the fuel to gel up.

Plug in the block heater in very cold weather and use a lighter grade synthetic oil.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlkyIROC:
Never used an additive. Fuel at the pumps changes in winter months so there isn't as much paraffin in the fuel to gel up.

Plug in the block heater in very cold weather and use a lighter grade synthetic oil.

^^^This. I've never run an additive and never once had a gelling issue. Been in weather as cold as -20 standing temps, wind chill approaching -30*f. Started my truck this morning, -6*f, fired right up, not plugged in at all. Only time I've seen in recent memory of freezing issues with diesels is that they had water in the fuel system and the water froze. Once it was removed, issues gone...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Question for you guys that run diesels up in cold country. Any special fuel or additives recommended for really cold weather?
We are heading into the coldest week-10 days of weather seen in this part of the country in a long time. (I realize it is nothing for you Northern folks, but for us, 0* is extremely cold). And not supposed to get above 30* for at about a week.
Truck has been starting fine in low 20's, I have no idea what temperature range will affect diesel fuel in a bad way.
I doubt they "winterize" fuel here, (or maybe they do that nationwide)? I do not use any fuel additive, but if there is something that you think might be a good idea, please share it.
I am just over half-tank now, planning to go fuel up this afternoon.

Also, my truck has a factory block heater built in, I have never used it. Forecasts vary depending on source, but most are saying low single digit lows (0*-1*) Sunday night-Tuesday Should I plug it in on those nights?

Thanks for sharing any advice.

Ask TD3550 he does this daily. He might chime in
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...0760912/m/7287094596

Hope this helps .

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4499 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320racer knows (Power Service Suppllement) seems to be the ticket. I live in northern Ohio just west of Toledo about 25 miles from Mich.boarder and Power Suppllement since my first Diesel Dually in 1993 and used in all Diesels since. No winter problems. It gets cold but not like -15 and colder. I have used block heater and not used block heater and dependes on my ambition level. My motorhome sits outside and I will start it and let fast idle for an hour a couple times a month in the winter.It has a 8.3 Cummins and I put a infrared paint cure heater under the oil pan for about an hour or so, heats the oil and starts up pretty good even at 0 out.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Plug the heater in after the engines already warmed up.

You should see an arc at the plug when you connect it and that tells you it's drawing current and working.

Every diesel backup generator my company services has block heaters. Inside or outside units .....some won't start without the engine being warm....

We had heaters go off on our plant generator this week due to a bad gfci. Engine wouldn't start during weekly test. The poor things go right to full throttle or governored at least as soon as they start. So heaters really make things easier on them

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'd say use the block heater if it's outside and temps below 30. The oil will be like tar and it's just easier on everything. One trick I have always done is when parking it - put on the windshield defroster and then plug it in. The heater circulates the hot water and windshield won't freeze. Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest powerservice fuel treatment also. If you live in the North, yes fuel is cut at the pump. But if you live in TX I'd say it's NOT as it's about a .07-.10 cent increase in cost that's not necessary in normally warmer areas.

I had gas stations for 20 years, not guessing here.

Also nothing wrong with plugging in the heaters only helps cold starts on an engine which we all know aren't good.

When you do the additive make sure you run it for a while to get throughout the fuels system.

SL...

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
"We had heaters go off on our plant generator this week due to a bad gfci. Engine wouldn't start during weekly test. The poor things go right to full throttle or governored at least as soon as they start. So heaters really make things easier on them"

1800 RPM

A backup generator starts and the transfer switch immediately swings to emergency once the generator voltage is available and the generator supplies the electrical demand, whatever that may be ..

The required time frame is 10 seconds and some accounts we have are checked yearly in some municipalities.....Fire officials usually...

Like Starting you truck and ram it in gear and hit the gas....in 10 seconds or less...

Large generators sometimes have 2 big heaters....with adjustable thermostats....set at 100-120 degrees....

We replace a lot of heaters and batteries....a lot of batteries !! Interstate loves us.....LOL

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like Starting you truck and ram it in gear and hit the gas....in 10 seconds or less...

Have you been stalking my wife?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Pivotdoc-- (Oil will be like tar) Good way to describe what the oil is like below 30 deg.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've been running 15W40 since I bought my truck brand new in March of 2008. Never once changed oil viscosity for colder temps. I do plug my truck in, but lately since it's been stored at work there is no cord to plug in to. Really never had any issues other than it takes FOREVER to get warm when it's really cold out. -7 this morning, so far high has been 1 today. Still fired right up. Steering pump was a little noisy for a minute, but it quieted down as well.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using 5-40 Delvac in my Duramax

I remote start it every morning and it’s noticeably noisier the colder it is out.

With a heater plugged in overnight it’s quieter for sure.

2007 LBZ right at 100,000 miles, runs like new.

Rust will do this truck in before anything else more than likely.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if my tractor will start tomorrow. Need to move some firewood. I don't think there is a block heater on it. Guess we will see. I don't count on cab heat for the duration of the job.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post