DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    race operation weight
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

race operation weight
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ok not trying to start anything just curious. I have often wondered just how much a jug of fuel weighed but never actually weighed on and that caught my eye.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
Now you could argue with a DOT cop it was under 10K on the axles if you take the tongue weight out of the picture, but that conversation will likely go his way.

You have to consider this. They only care about the weight on the axles. They don't make you disconnect and weigh the trailer by itself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
quote:
Now you could argue with a DOT cop it was under 10K on the axles if you take the tongue weight out of the picture, but that conversation will likely go his way.

You have to consider this. They only care about the weight on the axles. They don't make you disconnect and weigh the trailer by itself.

In the case of my old trailer, it only had 5200 lb axles and 15” wheels with Load Range E Maxxis tires. I felt I was at the limit of what a 15” tire should handle so I went with the highe capacity axles and 16” wheels & tires. Of course this has nothing to do with the DOT topic of weight on the axles as you mentioned.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The factory ID tag on my trailer lists this. GVWR 9600 LB and GAWR 4300 LB. The axels are 4800# rated. The trailer is licensed for 10,000 lbs.

What weight are they using if I am stopped to be checked for weight? GVWR or GAWR?

If I had 9600# in the trailer, I’d have 1000# tong weight to tow properly there by reducing the axle weight to 8600#.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
45 foot showhauler, 36 foot goldrush, full of fuel and water 3 dragsters golf cart and 2 zuma scooters, transmissions, converters, chargers, fuel, LOADED...71,000 lbs.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
45 foot showhauler, 36 foot goldrush, full of fuel and water 3 dragsters golf cart and 2 zuma scooters, transmissions, converters, chargers, fuel, LOADED...71,000 lbs.

Definitely a cool operation you have Chris.

I was at Rockingham in October and a kid pulled in next to me with something very similar in size to yours with dragsters and a door car. Provided full shade for my truck / trailer in the afternoon. Said his name was Mikey and his friend was Caleb. I didn’t have a clue who these two were when I met them… but I did after that weekend.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
My whole operation is 40,500 lbs. There is nothing weight-conscious here, other than the aluminum-framed Club Car golf cart.

It is about 25,000 on the toterhome with 13' box, and 15,500 on the all-steel 53' trailer. The axles are rated for 21k so I'm good there.

In the trailer are a 3600 lb Nova, 1700 lb dragster, 2 juniors, golf cart, scooter, and plenty of fuel, tools, and parts.

That's a bunch of stuff! I bet some of your race days are busy!

I almost never take my dragster out. I just double the door car to make it easier, but still crazy.

Every Sunday afternoon I say I'm never doing that again, but the following Saturday morning I can't decide which class to enter so I enter both again.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Definitely a cool operation you have Chris.

I was at Rockingham in October and a kid pulled in next to me with something very similar in size to yours with dragsters and a door car. Provided full shade for my truck / trailer in the afternoon. Said his name was Mikey and his friend was Caleb. I didn’t have a clue who these two were when I met them… but I did after that weekend.

Thanks Markemark, I know them dudes too!!!

#WTR

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

But how much on the trailer axles?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Typically 16,000 lbs or more...when unhooked from motorhome axles for trailer are right at 24,000.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
In-tech is a really nice piece. Everyone i have see upclose is damn near perfect. No doubt if i ever upgrade to new trailer it will be one of theirs.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I weighed mine at the Cat scales at a truck stop and it weighed about what NFC does. 22,440 for the whole mess. 32ft tri axel Pace and F350 duelly. Car weighs 2880 and trailer is licensed for 20,000lbs.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
quote:

The factory ID tag on my trailer lists this. GVWR 9600 LB and GAWR 4300 LB. The axels are 4800# rated. The trailer is licensed for 10,000 lbs.

What weight are they using if I am stopped to be checked for weight? GVWR or GAWR?

If I had 9600# in the trailer, I’d have 1000# tong weight to tow properly there by reducing the axle weight to 8600#.

They would scale your trailer on the axles to see if there was +/- 9,600# total and +/- 4,800# per axle(GVWR). But then they would also consider the total weight of your rig. You also have to pay attention to the vehicle GVWR. Part of the trailer weight is suspended by the trailer tongue (5th wheel or Gooseneck) This weight adds to the vehicle GVWR and does not count on the trailer axles, just the overall. DMV doesn't care how much the manufacturer says it will tow, only how much weight is where the rubber hits the road. Speaking of that, if you cheap out on tires, this could diminish the carrying capacity.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Most showhauler, Renegade, United, NRC, and these type of motorhomes are overweight on the front axle...hook the trailer up and it is under the max. I believe the officer said it was 15K max.

Most stacker trailers are overweight as well...go over the scale and weigh as you rolled onto the scale, then come around and go back over for a reweigh, before you repress the button for your reweigh, unhook the trailer. The
Press the button ...might not like what you see is my guess on the trailer if you are carrying 4 cars and our typical load of chit.

I have seen 13000 pounds or more removed from rear axles of motorhome by removing trailer on the reweigh...Goldrush says that's not an accurate measurement of tongue weight...wtf do I know, but any weight added to rear axles of my motorhome I call tongue weight...again what do I know...

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I believe 100 lbs of tongue weight actually adds a little more than 100 lbs to the rear axle depending on the distance from the axle to the hitch.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
10 feet from center of rear axle closest to trailer and center of mini 5th wheel on 36 foot tag.

Just measured as was surprised how far it was!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
we have been on the scales with our new stuff
2018 Cont. Cargo 30 ft steel
empty 6400 lbs

Dragster
golf cart
drum of alky
tool box
and stuff

1900 on the tongue

minimized front weight, No generator

should be less than 1900 on front now, but still don't like the tongue weight.

Towing behind small Renegade front engine coach, pulls fine but stiil don't like the weight issue.

I was very surprised by the empty weight.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
1900 on the tongue is a bunch as you know. 10-15% of gross = tongue. You back the dragster in?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
1900 on the tongue is a bunch as you know. 10-15% of gross = tongue. You back the dragster in?

Yes, dragster backs in, fuel drum over the axle, golf cart by the back door.
I have since removed a bunch of stuff from the forward half of the trailer, and also moved some stuff around in the MH storage trying to get some weight off of the rear axle. I have not had it across the scales again, I have done all I can do.
The trailer is very heavy empty, 6400 lbs. From what I see, that is common in a steel framed trailer.
I wish it was closer to the rated weight. I have talked to a few people that are carrying more than that on a similar or less rated hitch for tongue weight. The motorhome does not seem to be bothered by it, it tows like a dream, but the hitch receiver tube is my biggest concern.
The trailer and the hitch are rated at 14,000, but even at that we are over.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Do you know what Class Weight Rating is on there now? If its a 5, What type of 5? There are 2 types of 5. WC (Weight Carrying) and WD Weight distribution. The WD having the higher rating.

Class V hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
Class V hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 12,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1200 lbs.
Class V hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 17,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1700 lbs.
Your ball mount and hitch ball need to both be rated for Class V to safely tow these weight loads. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
A Class V hitch has a 2-1/2" square receiver opening.
Class V hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.

That weight would scare me also. especially on the tongue. Just giving you some ideas. Just curious, whats the ball Rating on there now?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post