Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:
Any advantage between the micro switch TB button over the large red mushroom button??

I modified my technique to minimize pressure related variance by using the side of my thumb and simply rotating my wrist to actuate the switch.

^^^ I also use this technique, with my micro switch button. Use same button with practice tree. Grouping of lights is consistently very tight, (at least until the car messes them up. Because it's never the driver at fault)... Big Grin

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
The key to the best switch is one with no bounce or contact chatter. You want a clean open or close. I think the switch that was best in testing was made by Ott? I had an interesting article of the testing that showed with data, most switches have irregular bounce destroying your odd of a consistent light. You need a trigger oscilloscope to see this.
It was the switch behind some of the so red mushroom buttons.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12169 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:
Any advantage between the micro switch TB button over the large red mushroom button??

I like the Biondo small mushroom best of all I have tested. 3000+ test hits with 3 buttons to find what I liked.
This button was least sensitive to your placement of whatever you you're using to press it, in my findings.

I modified my technique to minimize pressure related variance by using the side of my thumb and simply rotating my wrist to actuate the switch.

I had this button in my Camaro and loved it. I switched over to the Biondo Double 0 when I started running SG. I am going to get another for my off season testing on the practice tree. It was also the fastest button I've ever used.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
The Biondo Double 0 button is the most consistent we've found. The mushroom button has the potential for up to .030 variance.

As for button pressure, that is controlled with proper mechanics. Go to McNasby-Zane Drag Race Consulting/101 on Facebook, and watch our Free Starting Line Tutorial (I can't seem to create a link here). I know this video is a little long, but the proper mechanics are discussed in it (along with a lot of other reaction time information.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: botmbulb,

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Whether it’s a Double O Button, Ultra Quick Microswitch or a Standard Size Mushroom microswitch, the switch you should consider using with any of these mounts is the Omron Z-15G-B. 15 amp rated, 0.5 mm contact gap, short stroke and fast. Before installing in my car I checked this one on an O-scope at work and no bounce.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I love my double 0. Been thinking about trying the small mushroom. I don't care for big mushroom except to be used as a bump up/down. Just my 2 bucks.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:I am doing comparison of different buttons this winter and would like to add the Omron into the mix. The one I found that is comparable to a normal mount snap action is the Z-15GQ-B like this one. Is this the same button?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A34SXTV3MKEYVN&psc=1

Same “switch”, but the one you list has a Panel mount plunger. The one I listed is a Pin plunger

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Many micro switches have holes thru the plastic body. Machine screws go thru the holes and attach to a 90 degree mounting bracket. The buttons just activate the pin plunger.

I always have shimmed my buttons so they have the least travel I can get.

I have never cared for the mushroom buttons and also dislike any switch with high spring tension.

I use the pin style micro switches and a Biondo concave 00 button on top.

I’ve also hooked my button up to a practice tree in my garage and played in various light conditions. Bright daylight vs full dark....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
https://www.ebay.com/i/2331628...1669127a30f3516763ce
This is the style I was thinking of. I think someone makes the thumb rest seperately.

I tried that and it was the worst thing i every tried.. Complete train wreck.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by botmbulb:
The Biondo Double 0 button is the most consistent we've found. The mushroom button has the potential for up to .030 variance.

As for button pressure, that is controlled with proper mechanics. Go to McNasby-Zane Drag Race Consulting/101 on Facebook, and watch our Free Starting Line Tutorial (I can't seem to create a link here). I know this video is a little long, but the proper mechanics are discussed in it (along with a lot of other reaction time information.

Thanks for the information on the video. Learned a few things I hadn't considered relevant. I need to work on my hand placement and ergonomics/mechanics.
That is a nice WALL OF WALLYS in the background!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
One of my early race investments was the Frank Hawley Reaction Time Clinic at Gainesville. Scotty was helping. Around 1991. They had a hack on the Complink timing system and could measure the car and driver RT, independently. Learned a great deal from that that paid some great dividends over the years. Not sure if they still offer it, but had to mention.

https://frankhawley.com/

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12169 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The Reactor button works great without a glove. With a glove, not so much.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5305 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
The Reactor button works great without a glove. With a glove, not so much.

I agree with that!
I also like the small mushroom without a glove.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post