DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Rockingham Dragway sold
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rockingham Dragway sold
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
After 48 years of ownership Steve Earwood has announced the sale of the track to AL Gennarelli and Dan VanHorn. This was in my mail from the North Carolina Motorsports Assoc this morning

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
can't be any worse under new ownership

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite tracks. I thought Steve did an awesome job. I've always felt safe, welcome and well respected there.

Posts: 64 | Location: south carolina | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the track SUCKED!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sorry you feel that way but racers that have had a place to race under Steve Earwood for some 48 years might feel a little different. He did after all manage to keep it going through thick and thin......I'll miss him. And Ed you probably didn't race there enough for your opinion to matter anyway.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Sorry you feel that way but racers that have had a place to race under Steve Earwood for some 48 years might feel a little different. He did after all manage to keep it going through thick and thin......I'll miss him. And Ed you probably didn't race there enough for your opinion to matter anyway.

I agree Ferndale. I've never had a track issue there. Didn't the track just become a NHRA track again recently? I don't think that label is given to any track. Steve cares about his racers too. I think he walks the entire facility on race day and always says hello. He keeps things moving along.

Great group of racers there too.

Posts: 64 | Location: south carolina | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Steve does not care. I was in the tower telling him how bad the track was and he said it look good to him to which I replied, watch the next pair I guarantee at least one of them lifts at the transition. I was wrong, both could not compete their runs and neither did the pair behind them. Was that way since the first pair attempted to go down the track and he did nothing about it until I called him out on it! Spoke to the starter too who admitted the track wasn't there. The next morning the starter came to me before we ran and told me he worked on the track for 2 hous and it should be be better today which it was but marginally. My Racepak graphs have never looked anything like what they are there from anyother track I've run at.

Been there twice and that was two times too many. if that shyt hole was my only choice to race, I'd find something else to do with my time and $. A certain world champion and I were there talking about how bad that place is and he told me he hadn't been there in at least 25 years and won't be back again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I saw this as well fern. Earwood has been good for North Carolina racers like when the state was going to harass people over towing with motor homes and the length issues.

I do also agree that the place needs a lot of love and really no more than fixing up. I hope the new owners repair the return road and roads through the pits. so it don't knock the front end out from other my car.

ep- wish them success in the new venture. and congrats to Earwood for getting paid.

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
SFG race they had there couple years ago track was on POINT...facility is in dire need of facelift though...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
SFG race they had there couple years ago track was on POINT...facility is in dire need of facelift though...

Much needed facelift.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem there unless people were dragging sand to the starting line. People always look at me funny when I'm cleaning out my wheel wells in the staging lanes (at just about any track). Won plenty of races there over the years.

Earwood and I would agree to disagree on some things, but we always treated each other with respect, and I enjoyed talking with him.

He offered free ice cream to the racers one weekend. I picked up mine and went up to the tower and told him thank you. He said, "You know, you're the only one who said thank you."

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Steve Earwood reflects on Rockingham

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
Never had a problem there unless people were dragging sand to the starting line. People always look at me funny when I'm cleaning out my wheel wells in the staging lanes (at just about any track).

First thing I do when I get to the staging lanes. Wish more racers did this.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
Never had a problem there unless people were dragging sand to the starting line. People always look at me funny when I'm cleaning out my wheel wells in the staging lanes (at just about any track).

First thing I do when I get to the staging lanes. Wish more racers did this.
Yeah but that’s part of the problem there they never blow the damn return roads are nothing off....like HOH does..

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Blow the return roads off? I been racing 60+ years all over the country and I have yet to see anyone blow off the return road. Lots of asphalt at the Rock but many like the shade trees

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
After owning a business for 48 years he had to care. Thats dedication and hard work.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
Steve Earwood reflects on Rockingham[/url]

Take care. Tom Worthington

I noticed that Mr. Earwood didn't mention Ed. I hope he warned the new owners to offer up an Olive branch for him if they want any success.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I raced there on a couple of occasions...both times the track was fine...once my buddy and I doubled in my car and he went 8 rounds to the final...no issues whatsoever...another time I had car trouble and Steve and Tony could not have been more fair with me...yes, the place is a bit long in the tooth but so am I...lol...I don't know when Ed had his issues but my trips there were in the last couple of years...

Posts: 1276 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
NHRA Divisional

Steve should have got out long ago, he clearly don't care, hasn't put any $ into that place in a very long time. it's nearly in a state of disrepair now. To quote the world champion I spoke to, "it looks exactly the same and has the same issues it had when I was last here 25 years ago. by far the worse track on the division 2 schedule."

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't think Earwood has owned Rockingham for 48 years.

Posts: 519 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post