DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Rockingham Dragway sold
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rockingham Dragway sold
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with ed a bit on this one.i was there last october for the divisional and anyone with a fast car in td or ts had to slow their car to get down the track.i did like the layout of the facility though

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Poor Ol Ed. If he bought a bad tube of tooth paste he would stop brushing his teeth. Also not a track on earth that has not had bad days. Once at VMP they stopped the race and scraped it all night it was so bad. Then there is the parking in the rocks deal.....I could go up in Eds area and point out some of the sh-t holes there also. At least so far our tracks down here have not become auto storage lots as seems to be the rage in the Div 1

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
The D2 Bracket Finals are scheduled to be at Rockingham this year, I believe.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Fern, I ain't poor and my money is green and good everywhere. That place is a shythole and in desperate need of $ and effort. Steve allowed it to get to that sate of disrepair.

Further, when a track owner sitting in the tower tells me with a straight face he don't see a problem, he don't care!!

I called him out and only then did he stop time trials and instruct his crew to work the track which resulted in more of the same that day.

I won't be back, regardless of who owns the track.

BTW, I agree there are some shytholes up my way too but none nearly as bad as rockingham.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Poor Ol Ed. If he bought a bad tube of tooth paste he would stop brushing his teeth. Also not a track on earth that has not had bad days. Once at VMP they stopped the race and scraped it all night it was so bad. Then there is the parking in the rocks deal.....I could go up in Eds area and point out some of the sh-t holes there also. At least so far our tracks down here have not become auto storage lots as seems to be the rage in the Div 1

Fern, I ain't poor and my money is green and good everywhere. That place is a shythole and in desperate need of $ and effort. Steve allowed it to get to that sate of disrepair.

Further, when a track owner sitting in the tower tells me with a straight face he don't see a problem, he don't care!!

I called him out and only then did he stop time trials and instruct his crew to work the track which resulted in more of the same that day.

I won't be back, regardless of who owns the track.

So, let me get this straight, you went and told Steve his track wasn't working. Then Steve sent his crew out to try and make it better?

Sounds like he listened to your complaint and tried to make it right.

Posts: 64 | Location: south carolina | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Ed, I'm with you on this one.

The track itself was always good to me (but that was a PDRA event, so they were taking care of the prep, which is always top notch), but the "pits" are just that and the rest of the facility needs attention. Not to mention that many of the "locals" were of questionable character.

GALOT and Darlington are not far away and a MUCH better choice IMO.

PS, I ran there in days past at the NHRA Winston Innovational, where TF and FC ran against each other for the big bucks, that was a long time ago and the facility was much better back then. Just needs some work and money to get back to that level.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: "The Bender",

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Earwood has let the facility go, no question. but the flip side is he has had a place to race for a long time and has weathered many bad economies over the years to insure folks had a place to go.

maybe he did the former to have the latter. who knows.

ep-is it my favorite place to race? no. but I like knowing I can go there if I choose.

I hope the new owners show it some love.

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
You are right, at least it is still operational, unlike the abandoned NASCAR track across the street...……….

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a non NHRA National event track in the country that is on par with Galot. Alot of $ and effort was put into the old Dunn-Benson dragway and it shows.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Ed, do you know what GALOT stands for?

I do and I love it!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Get A Load Of This!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
You got it.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Here in MD we have lost 75-80 years ago and Capitol Raceway this year.

Cecil county dragway has recently decided (in 2020) it is not cost effective to have a Bracket Program anymore. They only do shows and test-n-tune now. They have their street series the first weekend of each month with some form of bracket racing but most bracket cars don't fit the rules.

Atco has been sold and will be a parking lot soon the same way Englishtown ended up in 2018.

We should all be glad it is still operating and not another housing development, parking lot or just run down/overgrown/abandoned drag strip.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There is no stopping the inevitable that drag racing/bracket racing has been on life support for a long time. It has changed and will change more yet before it flat lines. Right now big $ gambler's races draws the car counts, not the summit ET series, but that will end too.

That said, Cecil still has bracket races, including this weekend, they just don't run the Summit ET Series anymore.

Atco is sold and who would have guessed that Island Dragway would be the last operating drag strip in jersey but it will cease operations one day too.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think there is a non NHRA National event track in the country that is on par with Galot. Alot of $ and effort was put into the old Dunn-Benson dragway and it shows.

Dead on Galot is the standard if you ask me.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
ED if you are so flush with cash Darlington is for sale now they say. Come on down.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If I wanted to own a Dragstrip, I’d buy Dragway42 whose asking price is $3.6m then I throw that shyt timing system in the weeds and install Compulink.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ed

Galot is nice, no doubt! Just the layout of the mud sippy hole deal could be better.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I wanted to own a Dragstrip, I’d buy Dragway42 whose asking price is $3.6m then I throw that shyt timing system in the weeds and install Compulink.

ACE Ohio paid Accutime in August 2019 to re-calibrate and reset the beams at D-42. This fixed the timing issues that SFG experienced at the D-42 prior event.

US 131 in Martin Mi uses Accutime.

What’s to dislike about this system?

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mark, the right lane apparently has always had rollout issues since the track was redone and the timing system install by the track owner/staff, not Acutime, told to me by the former track manager who was at the track on Saturday and several racers who call this track home and it still does based on our own issues in that lane and the fact that most of the hitters were stacked in the left lane on day 2 and 3. We also observed far more red lights in the right than in the left. The left lane was marginally better for us.