New
Find
Notify
Tools

S/C Pomona
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Everybody seems to want to make this complicated and long winded......

The super classes would be more fun if they were a second quicker....an 1/8th mile on stop at an idle can't be enjoyable....

The End...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What Dave said. ^^^^

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I've never stopped to consider how much fun I'm having while sitting on the stop. I'm too busy processing all of the information I can. How well did I hit the tree, how did the launch feel, where am I relative to my opponent?

Lowering the indexes would only reduce car count with no tangible benefit.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I hear the libraries are calm and quiet, And lots of information to gather there also...
I absolutely guarantee sitting in a library is thousands cheaper than drag racing...I spend too much money to quietly sit and gather information at half track...
But, that's just me...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you'd love bracket racing, Dave! So do I!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lowering the indexes would only reduce car count with no tangible benefit.

Of course this is true.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Sounds like you'd love bracket racing, Dave! So do I!

Index/Super classes are just bracket racing with a fixed dial-in. The classes range from slow to fast for a reason...The simple truth is cars are a crap load faster than when SuperGas was invented last century. Just start a damn 7.90 class to catch up with modern racecars and ALL of this BS is over. There,s a huge void between idling to half track to run 8.90 and running Bracket1 (or TD/TS as people need to call it)

Lenny, I personally like the Protree of Super Classes but bracket racing is the next best thing I agree...

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have no dog in this particular fight (making 8.90 quicker or any other iteration). Let me keep this here though, and it pertains to literally any class where there are breakouts in place.

Keeping the index and/or the fast end of the class the same, allows more people over the course of time to cheaply run that type of equipment if they choose to do so. Or even better, likely makes it even cheaper and easier for someone to build something CLOSE to it, when they decide to run that class. THIS IS NOT A BAD THING!!! IN FACT over the course of time, it increases the ability for new comers, to jump into all of the different classes over time, because it's now become more budget friendly for them to do so. If you want to run a 200 mph dragster in SC for instance, THAT'S ON YOU!!! It's very expensive currently to do so. You know what's far less expensive to do? Run 8.30s with a GM crate engine, in a used hard tail dragster. Wanna know the common denominator? BOTH CAN SLOW DOWN TO GO 8.90!!!!

Before anyone touts the likelihood of hitting the .370 tree with a "low dollar super comp car", ask Chris Garretson!! Also, this need to have a .370 tree for super comp and super gas, is also asinine. It makes it harder for the low buck guys to keep up. Interesting factoid for anyone NOT in the know. If your car reacts too quick because you have a 1500hp dragster on a .400 pro tree YOU CAN ADD .030 TO YOUR DELAY BOX!!!! Wanna know what CAN'T happen? A person with a low buck car, can't take .030 out of their already zeroed out delay box, to cut a better light!!

As a sport, we keep changing the rules in the wrong direction for the wrong reasons, but can't figure out why the fields on a local, divisional or national level keep getting smaller and smaller.

Posts: 491 | Location: Morristown, NJ | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well said and I agree

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Oh my Fuc'n God.....

DON'T CHANGE ANY OF THE TRIED AND TRUE CLASSES !!!! DO NOT LOWER THE INDEX'S AT ALL...

Just start a 7.90 class.....There's already 10.90 , 9.90 and 8.90 classes in place.....EVERBODY can stay where they are now or move up one class if they want to go faster/quicker...Adding a 7.90 class would allow the 8.90 guys to run faster...IF they want to....

Reinvent Super racing or just add a class......Keep it f'n simple

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
All a 7.90 class would accomplish is cutting 8.90 in half.

I do agree; keep it simple. Just leave it alone.

Tony Leonard

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Oh my Fuc'n God.....

DON'T CHANGE ANY OF THE TRIED AND TRUE CLASSES !!!! DO NOT LOWER THE INDEX'S AT ALL...

Just start a 7.90 class.....There's already 10.90 , 9.90 and 8.90 classes in place.....EVERBODY can stay where they are now or move up one class if they want to go faster/quicker...Adding a 7.90 class would allow the 8.90 guys to run faster...IF they want to....

Reinvent Super racing or just add a class......Keep it f'n simple

Years ago IHRA tried that. it lasted maybe 2 years and went back to the original .90 format. Car counts were too low to support 2 dragster classes.

the question is why change anything? If these guys want to run 200 in SC then why not? They have a car more than capable of running TD, so it is their choice.

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
OHHH...You mean like Division 7 did with the 7.90 Super Eliminator class years ago.

It was very popular but was sponsored by Korbel Champagne.

NHRA was happy to add the class as long as someone else was paying the bill.

quote:

Just start a 7.90 class.....There's already 10.90 , 9.90 and 8.90 classes in place.....

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
They already run a second quicker! In the back half!

I do not run SC so I have no say.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4505 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
OHHH...You mean like Division 7 did with the 7.90 Super Eliminator class years ago.

It was very popular but was sponsored by Korbel Champagne.

NHRA was happy to add the class as long as someone else was paying the bill.

quote:

Just start a 7.90 class.....There's already 10.90 , 9.90 and 8.90 classes in place.....

The difference is Joe, 7.90 isn't so quick anymore...looking at the MPH in S/C it seems many (most?) of the cars could run 7.90 now days....If they're building 7.90 engines already you'd think they're wanting to go quicker as well as faster.....if you're running 180-200mph why not run the ET to go with it??? Maybe the high MPH is just a penis measuring game....

Dave

F J B

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Years ago IHRA tried that. it lasted maybe 2 years and went back to the original .90 format. Car counts were too low to support 2 dragster classes.

the question is why change anything? If these guys want to run 200 in SC then why not? They have a car more than capable of running TD, so it is their choice.[/QUOTE] You are correct, IHRA tried it 30+ years ago, and the entire new IHRA structure as spearheaded by Billy Meyer only lasted a couple of years. The reason for this was the tremendous number of postponed and rescheduled events, due to the large amounts of rainfall, and nothing more. The demise of the 7.90 index was not due to the car counts, it was due to the entire organization folding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: consistent spin,

Posts: 40 | Location: East TN | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How about thinking out of the box? Set a mph break out for each super class along with et break out, 135 for s/st,150 for s/g 155 for super comp. The spectators won't no the difference because the don't watch or understand the super classes any way!

Posts: 44 | Location: East L.A. , CA | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They are already on the stop till half track and running 190+. If you lower the speed to 155 they will be on the stop till 1000'.

I'm afraid it's 20 years to late to try something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Gasman:
How about thinking out of the box? Set a mph break out for each super class along with et break out, 135 for s/st,150 for s/g 155 for super comp. The spectators won't no the difference because the don't watch or understand the super classes any way!

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gasman:

So if no one is watching and don't understand these classes why do they need to be changed?

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
"They are already on the stop till half track and running 190+. If you lower the speed to 155 they will be on the stop till 1000'.

I'm afraid it's 20 years to late to try something like that."

They will not be going 190mph! if they are on the stop til 1000' and limited to respective mph, and there will not be the need to feel they have too build a 1200hp engine.

Posts: 44 | Location: East L.A. , CA | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post