Find
Notify
Tools

Towing and a CDL
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have also been thru the federal guidelines and clearly know why I want to stay away from the full blown CDL.

I do travel thousands of miles per month with regularity and all over the country to boot. I find it strange how each state can differ and have been hassled in Texas more than elsewhere until I did obtain the class A non cdl license. They would tail me for miles while running my plates on both truck and trailer and verify the owners license type. They also googled the name and had pics of me in the winners circle holding a check on his computer after he pulled me over, when I stepped in the DOT officers truck while he is asking me if I raced for money I clearly knew this guy knew more about me than I had already forgot! I can say you don't have to be speeding to be pulled over its the cops discretion.

This happened 3 times in 2 years before I went to the DPS office and took my tests after some serious homework. I hope we do hear from guys with CDL' S that have had issues, but I have found out of state if your obeying the law, on the interstate they are not interested in a Registered RV obeying the law. The toter and stacker obviously draws more attention over truck and trailer or MH and standard height and length trailers...but can say over the last 10 yrs and 200,000 miles we have not been bothered much out of state.

I also carry a folder full of pics at the DPS taking my test in my rig and tons of stuff printed off the internet...the last cop would not look at anything I had and gave me a ticket for wrong license that was dropped when I got my class A and a warning for over length. Not a problem since late 2016 knock on wood!

Glad we can discuss, disagree and continue discussions without name calling, and hate as we have seen before... clapping

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
What was wrong about your license?

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
At that time I had a class c license and was over 26000 lbs...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No hating here Chris, I just want to put out the real deal info so people can get an idea what they need.

For the most part this is a waste of time on all of our parts, but maybe we can help a few and encourage them to get what they need.

I have been taken out of service, happened 15 years ago. I t is not fun being at the mercy of an a-h-o-l-e trooper who takes pride in busting people. He did finally back off when he saw that I had done some things to be legal.

That's why I suggest doing what you can to be legal, it goes a long way in the discussion if you are stopped.

One other thing, they will go to great lengths to give you a ticket if they try hard enough. So keep an eye on the little things like clearance lights, etc. And that little break-a way battery. They know most of those are dead.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeB4963:
I was mostly trying to show the FMCSA info on why most of us are not commercial.....even IF we DO win money.

Don't most people who race for (and win) money write off expenses on their taxes to offset the winnings?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lenny5160

yes, many do claim the racing on the tax return.

If they do, that likely makes them commercial in the eyes of the law.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Yes, a lot of racers do. I actually quit doing that a few years ago when I realized it was making me commercial. I just pay standard income taxes now. FMCSA claims that makes me non commercial.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
Yes, a lot of racers do. I actually quit doing that a few years ago when I realized it was making me commercial. I just pay standard income taxes now. FMCSA claims that makes me non commercial.

How about telling the officer, if needed, "Yes, I did that before but I'm not going to do that this year." Fingers Cross

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:

How about telling the officer, if needed, "Yes, I did that before but I'm not going to do that this year." Fingers Cross

I agree, it's pretty dumb.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
I have also been thru the federal guidelines and clearly know why I want to stay away from the full blown CDL.

What are the negatives of the full CDL?

I'm hearing that in 2020 all the motor home RV etc exceptions will end.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Well, over the last couple days I've been able to talk to two CDL holders. One is my buddy, the other a complete stranger. Both responses were the same, "there is no difference in my everyday life with having one, everything is the same except I usually get out of more tickets with a CDL" Maybe regionally there is big differences, but up here, seems it's a no brainer.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
I have my class A as well as the doubles/triples sensory. As far as I know the only difference is the tolerance is a lot less for things like speeding, blood alcohol content, etc. I have yet to be pulled over with my rig and it comes in at 74 ft. I do keep a book of logs with me just in case.

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Some of us need CDLs for our jobs, I do.

If your state offers Class A NON-CDL, that is a good thing, it offers an option.

As far as standardizing the laws nationwide, it is happening, BUT, very slowly. It is getting harder to get a CDL in general, at least here in TX.
They are doing PRE-trip tests, it takes sometimes 3 months to get an appt for the test, and if you do not pass, go to the back of the line for another couple of months

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
If you don't drive a big truck for a living there are more pains in the azz by having a CDL and maintaining the requirements for it....example: try getting pulled over doing a burnout or getting dusted a new style mustang from a red light in your late 60's hot rod...moving violations are hell on CDL's!

Luckily my state recognizes who needs a full blown CDL and who does not.

If you think you need a full blown CDL...by all means go get one...that does not make it a requirement depending on where you live.

JMO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TORQIN,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Torqin

I meant to stop and say Hi at the race this weekend, just did not get around to it.

It was a good event, made it all the way down there and back and did not get stopped.

LOL

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Dang Mike! Me too, next time let's chat.

You win on Friday I heard?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
TORQIN

No win on Friday for me.

But we did go to the final round in the last chance race on Saturday.

For once I was getting after at both ends of the track, raced Nick Smith in the final, I missed the tree a little and came up short.

That was was a big surprise to me, Tommy put up $1250 and Dixie House café put $1000 for a nice little race that started with payouts at 5 cars.

Tommy does some great things for the racers. Also got out of there with a couple of nice door prizes.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pa House Bill 1239 raises the fines for operation of vehicle without proper class license.

So evidently they are aware of this issue.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
If you don't drive a big truck for a living there are more pains in the azz by having a CDL and maintaining the requirements for it....example: try getting pulled over doing a burnout or getting dusted a new style mustang from a red light in your late 60's hot rod...moving violations are hell on CDL's!

Luckily my state recognizes who needs a full blown CDL and who does not.

If you think you need a full blown CDL...by all means go get one...that does not make it a requirement depending on where you live.

JMO

LOL, yeah, that's not an issue for me. The quickest road legal vehicle I have is a bone stock Duramax. I generally drive pretty well. I look at it a lot like getting my CPL, after you take the test and get the license, for me a whole new level of respect came along. CDL seems to be the same way.