DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Bravo Icon Trailer Axle issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bravo Icon Trailer Axle issue
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Doug Crumlich
posted
I have a 2015 Bravo Icon Aluminum Stacker. It is actually a great trailer but I feel I need to caution other owners to check their axle mounts on the trailer.

On a recent trip to Bowling Green we discovered an issue that could have resulted in serious damage to the trailer and other people.

The trailer is a triple axle with Dexter Axles. There are 1/4" by 8-10" angle welded to the underneath of the trailer and the axles bolt through them.

We noticed leaving Bowling Green that the trailer was tracking wrong. Pulled over at a rest stop and found that the rear and center axles had broken the aluminum angle completely on one side (not connected to anything) and about 4" of material was left on the other. Yes almost chucked two axles out on the fwy. After a temporary fix we made it to were we could work on it. Found that the front axle only had 4" of material left on both sides.

The Manufacture had never heard of this before.

So in good conscience I wanted to ask people to check their axle mounts on aluminum trailers to make sure you don't see the same.

We fixed it by bolting the axles directly to the box frame.

Top Sportsman

Posts: 318 | Location: Irvine,CA,92606 | Registered: December 29, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Would really like to see some pictures on this issue. Are these diagonals that center the axles?
The reason for asking is i had a call about 5 months ago on a 40' 5er that lost a center axle.
Both springs broke and what looks like angle channels snapped. I could not do anything with it on the shoulder of the road.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Crumlich:
I have a 2015 Bravo Icon Aluminum Stacker. It is actually a great trailer but I feel I need to caution other owners to check their axle mounts on the trailer.

On a recent trip to Bowling Green we discovered an issue that could have resulted in serious damage to the trailer and other people.

The trailer is a triple axle with Dexter Axles. There are 1/4" by 8-10" angle welded to the underneath of the trailer and the axles bolt through them.

We noticed leaving Bowling Green that the trailer was tracking wrong. Pulled over at a rest stop and found that the rear and center axles had broken the aluminum angle completely on one side (not connected to anything) and about 4" of material was left on the other. Yes almost chucked two axles out on the fwy. After a temporary fix we made it to were we could work on it. Found that the front axle only had 4" of material left on both sides.

So in good conscience I wanted to ask people to check their axle mounts on aluminum trailers to make sure you don't see the same.

We fixed it by bolting the axles directly to the box frame.

Jesus Doug!! Great catch! Power Tool Jeff just bought an alum Gold Rush with lots of miles too.. We don't need a repeat of our last Phoenix trip. Hello to you , family and Rick.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Doug Crumlich
posted Hide Post
My trailer is a triple Torsion axle. So no moving parts are attached to the trailer. Trying to show a picture.
https://drive.google.com/file/...EXA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/...Jwf/view?usp=sharing

We put the bolts up through the frame but you can see the thin aluminum bracket that was there.

Top Sportsman

Posts: 318 | Location: Irvine,CA,92606 | Registered: December 29, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Lucky Scott Hudson
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the heads up.

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
After looking at those pictures of how that was bolted in those guys need their head examined.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That’s why you don’t buy a bravo trailer, especially an aluminum trailer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
That looks like an accident looking for a place to happen. I had to look twice at those pics.. I would never own an aluminum trailer. I don't care who makes it.Come out on some calls with me with Class 8 aluminum trailers. You won't believe the *** that cracks and breaks. Someone was looking out for you.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Great catch Crummy! 1/4" aluminum brackets to mount and hold the axles? Why?

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My Featherlite aluminum trailer has an all steel axle carriage that the axles bolt to and then the axle carriage bolts to the aluminum trailer frame.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Doug Crumlich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
My Featherlite aluminum trailer has an all steel axle carriage that the axles bolt to and then the axle carriage bolts to the aluminum trailer frame.

Yes my buddy's Aluminum Halmark has a steel chassis that fastens to the aluminum structure. I have mine bolted now and will be tying the axles together this winter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Crumlich,

Top Sportsman

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Isnt Bravo basically a Pace? I heard the owner of Bravo was previously the owner of Pace. My buddy owned an InTech Aluminum trailer and had axel issues (not sure if it was to this extent) but he ended up selling it and getting a TnE.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Crumlich:

LOL - sure they hadn't -

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Patience is a virtue. On the other hand you reap what you sow.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
That’s why you don’t buy a bravo trailer, especially an aluminum trailer.
Yours is mounted just like mine an mine have broke to...for what it’s worth

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It’s amazing how little work would be needed to fix this correctly

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
there are those that can break an anvil.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
And your Anvil will break in given time...

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They all break if subjected to conditions they weren't engineered for, namely overloading including the best, Goldrush and T&E.

Meanwhile my 2017 Intech 34 foot triple axle trailer hasn't failed me yet going down the road at 14,000+ lbs. and last I inspected it, the axles were still attached without failure as it left the factory.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
After looking at those pictures of how that was bolted in those guys need their head examined.

I tend to agree and was my first thought. Admit that I over analyze things and usually way over engineer things. Just looks like a less than heavy duty connection for the part that takes most abuse.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post