New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nhra pro tree
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
As per Nhraracer.com for the .90 classes back to "true" .400 and .500 tree starting at SGMP this weekend.

NHRA Announces Change to Super Category LED Compensation
Effective with this weekend’s LODRS event at South Georgia Motorsports Park in Division 2 the LED compensation will be set to .00 for the Super categories (Super Comp, Super Gas, Super Street) at all NHRA national and divisional events.

The NHRA began using the LED amber lights in the Christmas tree starting system in 2003 at national events. That same year, many tracks also switched to the new lights and by 2004 practically all tracks were utilizing the still new technology. These new LED lights were approximately .03 quicker when compared to the previous standard incandescent amber flood lights used in the tree. Those first couple of seasons also saw a larger number of red lights in the categories that did not use a delay box as one of their weapons to dial into perfect reaction times.

When a higher number of red lights was becoming an obvious trend in many classes, the LED compensation was introduced and ‘slowed’ the tree ambers firing by .03 seconds. This change was made across the board for all pro tree categories (LED compensation only works on a “pro” tree). In effect, this change made it more difficult for super category racers to cut a light. Many racers were against adding the LED compensation and have asked for change since its inception and many “association” programs for these racers do not utilize any LED compensation at their events.

What does this change mean to the racer? Simply stated, anyone with a delay box can add .03 to their normal delay and be ready to go.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
When they started this .370 and .470 tree it began at the Nationals. Then you go race a Divisional it was still .400. Everyone was confused and uninformed. Some said it had to do with PS Motorcycle but I don't know if it's true. I ended up parking my stuff till I could get it fixed. I had multiple conversations with the SRAC and never got a real answer on whet was going on. It really caused problems for some Super Gas and even more Super Street racers back then. It's interesting that 9 years later it gets changed back. All they had to do was change the computer for the classes having the red light issues. Back then we didn't know if it was a rollout change or computer change. When we race at No Problem in a few weeks I guess we will see. Their timing system list the tree on it. I remember racers looking at the timeslip and asking (What is this .470?). I guess we get to roll in 30 now. Maybe I can go try to make it through first round of Super Comp. Even though I would have to bump in a little .Lol

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
just makes hitting the tree even easier for those that are already the best leavers in the class. Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
It could also bring some more racers back in. Maybe some of the old IHRA .90 racers that couldn't hit a 70 tree. I still find it odd to change it now.

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nothing odd about it, just another example of the Vocal OLD minority biotching because they can buy a round and still won’t be able to with this move.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Buy a JW powerglide Pro Tree transmission brake valve body.

Fastest on the planet.

Be a good place to start.

They ain't cheap but they're bad to the bone.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
First thing you do is take all them clutches out you don't need.

Then you call JW.

Then you'll become competitive.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The red mushroom top button ART sells is the fastest button I tested on a practice tree.

To test buttons hook em to the practice tree in any two button mode, push the buttons together and pull em apart when the tree comes down.

Lowest number is your winner of the two buttons you're testing.

ART button was 005, 006 faster than any I tested.

There's another 015 you can pickup unhooking the delay box.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not fair to the SG racers. SST & SC also effected but hurts SG racers the most.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
^^^^ How?

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Since this only effects 3 classes, SST, SG & SC. The majority of cars in SC are dragsters which always run delay, they just have to add .030. SST is a 5 tenths tree which most SST cars don't use delay. For example my SST car at 3,300 pounds couldn't lift the front tires on the leave with a floor jack. So I Normally run .040 delay ( kind of reverse delay) on a 5 tenths tree. Where other racers don't run any delay on a 5 tenths tree. Now SG; I have a 57 Davis Vette, it rips the tree so I chip it way down and run say .025 delay average depending on the track. I race with several SG folks whose car is heavy and not set up to cut anymore than a .030 light. So now nhra gives them that .400 capability. Well that's not fair to the SG racers who have spent money and worked hard to the get there cars to cut a .400 lite. That answer your question I hope? Sorry about the long post.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So making it easier to be able to add delay to "tweak" your light is a bad thing?? And with my 2850lb SST car with a .470 tree I'm at .020-.030 in the box to go .00X leaving at 4K with a small block.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Nope a good thing for those who need an extra .030.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Larry, thanks for clearing that up. I've, up until this year, have always run S/C. always adding a butt load of delay even on a 470 tree. It's going to be a challenge on my new SS/T ride to dial in on a .500 tree. More mental gymnastics.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:
Since this only effects 3 classes, SST, SG & SC. The majority of cars in SC are dragsters which always run delay, they just have to add .030. SST is a 5 tenths tree which most SST cars don't use delay. For example my SST car at 3,300 pounds couldn't lift the front tires on the leave with a floor jack. So I Normally run .040 delay ( kind of reverse delay) on a 5 tenths tree. Where other racers don't run any delay on a 5 tenths tree. Now SG; I have a 57 Davis Vette, it rips the tree so I chip it way down and run say .025 delay average depending on the track. I race with several SG folks whose car is heavy and not set up to cut anymore than a .030 light. So now nhra gives them that .400 capability. Well that's not fair to the SG racers who have spent money and worked hard to the get there cars to cut a .400 lite. That answer your question I hope? Sorry about the long post.

Not your problem but changing it up but
I think it's because of Angelle S (she always seem to keep an S last name) running PSB *****ing and crying is the reason why it went to to.370!
I understand the frustration.
Maybe it will keep more people entering the .90 classes with the change with the tree though.

PS should have never been changed anyway!!!

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The only reason that I can see that this was changed was because of a vocal minority.
The next thing will probably be deep staging allowed in all categories because "John Force does it".

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It absolutely is due to the vocal minority and nothing will change because of it, the hitters will still be winning races and championships.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I don't care what lights are on the tree or how quickly they come on. If I don't like where my reaction times are at, I change a number or two in the box and I'm good....

I don't see why so many people make a big deal about it...that's what time trials are for...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I don't care what lights are on the tree or how quickly they come on. If I don't like where my reaction times are at, I change a number or two in the box and I'm good....

I don't see why so many people make a big deal about it...that's what time trials are for...

It’s only the people who had to work/spend their asses off to cut a light that are upset by this.

My junk worked out of the gate, so I’ll just add my .030 and keep on keeping on.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3151 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
It never had anything to do with a full tree.