DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    dragster battery
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dragster battery
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:
Yes, it basically goes to battery, both tie in on the solenoid.

@ sides of the solenoid. 1 side goes to the battery pos and the other side generally feeds everything in the car including the starter. So you're saying that the alt. is piggybacked on the battery side of the solenoid and remians hot no matter what?

Yes, because if you put it on starter and ignition side when you turn off power ignition and everything would still be hot as long as alternator is running. Must kill all power when switch is off. Your battery is hot all the time.

That's what I'm tying to avoid, I don't won't battery and alternator directly hooked together when power is pushed off as I've had a diode go bad in my alternator before and actually completely drain my battery.. Luckily brought battery back, and sent alternator out to have it fixed but I also added a 4 post mechanical (Moroso I believe) switch to my car, and no issues since. Sounds like I need to add a constant duty solenoid maybe and have it so that no matter what, when power is off it's also off to the alternator also.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
The problem with shutting the power to the alt is if you test the system to shut the car off from the back. It is good that it would be killing all of the power past the switch. I called Powermaster and East Coast and they said that killing the power while the car was running could damage the alternator.
I've had my alt go bad and draw my battery down wired direct.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
The problem with shutting the power to the alt is if you test the system to shut the car off from the back. It is good that it would be killing all of the power past the switch. I called Powermaster and East Coast and they said that killing the power while the car was running could damage the alternator.
I've had my alt go bad and draw my battery down wired direct.

I don't like the test, because of the possible damage to alternator as well.. But would like it wired correctly in case of emergency is all..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post