DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tire size,rear gear, and trans gear question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Tire size,rear gear, and trans gear question
 Login/Join
 
DRR Trophy
posted
I am getting a new dragster built. This car is going to have a 582ci BBC. I have never owned or raced a dragster with a Big Block. Always been a high RPM small block person. My engine guy says this 582 should make between 1135-1170 HP.Tall deck, SR20 heads, and a 1500 cfm carb. I would like to know what would be a good tire, rear gear , and trans gear combination for a 1980 lb dragster with this type of HP. I already have 16X16 double bead lock rims.Thanks Bob J


Don't get behind me,I'm in the slow lane.
 
Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
I would like to know what would be a good tire, rear gear , and trans gear combination for a 1980 lb dragster with this type of HP.

Hoosier BR3 or C1550, 4.29 gear and 1.80 1st gear
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between those two tires?


Don't get behind me,I'm in the slow lane.
 
Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
I would like to know what would be a good tire, rear gear , and trans gear combination for a 1980 lb dragster with this type of HP.

Hoosier BR3 or C1550, 4.29 gear and 1.80 1st gear


^^^THIS^^^ that gear combo will be perfect, I run a 180 low gear and have more than double your HP. walk the staging lanes when TD is running, 90% running the c1550. It's a great tire, super smooth, works in both hot and cool conditions and they hold air!
 
Posts: 2416 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Is this good for 1/4 mile as well?


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
What is the difference between those two tires?

Actual difference… different compounds, BR3 is 14”, C1550 is 15” and 1 lb. heavier. That said, I believe the BR3 has a slightly tighter 60 foot variation from pass to pass over the course of a day/night.
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Is this good for 1/4 mile as well?
Might want to watch the RPM's in the lights with that gear.

Your engine builder will tell you where he wants to see the engine RPM's going out the back light!
 
Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mostly I will be running the 1/8 mile. But there might be days that I visit a 1/4 mile track.


Don't get behind me,I'm in the slow lane.
 
Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
I am getting a new dragster built. This car is going to have a 582ci BBC. I have never owned or raced a dragster with a Big Block. Always been a high RPM small block person. My engine guy says this 582 should make between 1135-1170 HP.Tall deck, SR20 heads, and a 1500 cfm carb. I would like to know what would be a good tire, rear gear , and trans gear combination for a 1980 lb dragster with this type of HP. I already have 16X16 double bead lock rims.Thanks Bob J


First the real HP will be much closer to 1100 to 1135.

4.30 gear with MT little bubbas.
 
Posts: 2146 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this ^^^
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Harry's Taxi-2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
I am getting a new dragster built. This car is going to have a 582ci BBC. I have never owned or raced a dragster with a Big Block. Always been a high RPM small block person. My engine guy says this 582 should make between 1135-1170 HP.Tall deck, SR20 heads, and a 1500 cfm carb. I would like to know what would be a good tire, rear gear , and trans gear combination for a 1980 lb dragster with this type of HP. I already have 16X16 double bead lock rims.Thanks Bob J


First the real HP will be much closer to 1100 to 1135.

4.30 gear with MT little bubbas.


What in his post says it will only be 1100-1135 hp. vs 1135-1170?


"Trust the Plan"
 
Posts: 28 | Location: Newville Pa | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Just north of 1100HP is what 582 sr20 bracket engines make.
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry's Taxi-2:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
I am getting a new dragster built. This car is going to have a 582ci BBC. I have never owned or raced a dragster with a Big Block. Always been a high RPM small block person. My engine guy says this 582 should make between 1135-1170 HP.Tall deck, SR20 heads, and a 1500 cfm carb. I would like to know what would be a good tire, rear gear , and trans gear combination for a 1980 lb dragster with this type of HP. I already have 16X16 double bead lock rims.Thanks Bob J


First the real HP will be much closer to 1100 to 1135.

4.30 gear with MT little bubbas.


What in his post says it will only be 1100-1135 hp. vs 1135-1170?


It has nothing to do with the post, it's just reality. You can believe all the inflated dyno numbers you want but the math don't lie.

Can you build a 582 SR20 motor that will make 1135 to 1175, sure, but it is not a bracket motor.
 
Posts: 2146 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Harry's Taxi-2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Harry's Taxi-2:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
I am getting a new dragster built. This car is going to have a 582ci BBC. I have never owned or raced a dragster with a Big Block. Always been a high RPM small block person. My engine guy says this 582 should make between 1135-1170 HP.Tall deck, SR20 heads, and a 1500 cfm carb. I would like to know what would be a good tire, rear gear , and trans gear combination for a 1980 lb dragster with this type of HP. I already have 16X16 double bead lock rims.Thanks Bob J


First the real HP will be much closer to 1100 to 1135.

4.30 gear with MT little bubbas.


What in his post says it will only be 1100-1135 hp. vs 1135-1170?


It has nothing to do with the post, it's just reality. You can believe all the inflated dyno numbers you want but the math don't lie.

Can you build a 582 SR20 motor that will make 1135 to 1175, sure, but it is not a bracket motor.


What would be the difference to just add approx. 50 hp to an already 1100 hp engine that would make it no longer suitable for bracket racing?


"Trust the Plan"
 
Posts: 28 | Location: Newville Pa | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
RPM is the difference and reason it wouldn’t be a bracket engine as the result of the Camshaft, valve train, converter necessary. These component changes along with the head and manifold work need to support this RPM would also add $10k+ to the build.
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry's Taxi-2:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Harry's Taxi-2:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by scoop:
I am getting a new dragster built. This car is going to have a 582ci BBC. I have never owned or raced a dragster with a Big Block. Always been a high RPM small block person. My engine guy says this 582 should make between 1135-1170 HP.Tall deck, SR20 heads, and a 1500 cfm carb. I would like to know what would be a good tire, rear gear , and trans gear combination for a 1980 lb dragster with this type of HP. I already have 16X16 double bead lock rims.Thanks Bob J


First the real HP will be much closer to 1100 to 1135.

4.30 gear with MT little bubbas.


What in his post says it will only be 1100-1135 hp. vs 1135-1170?


It has nothing to do with the post, it's just reality. You can believe all the inflated dyno numbers you want but the math don't lie.

Can you build a 582 SR20 motor that will make 1135 to 1175, sure, but it is not a bracket motor.


What would be the difference to just add approx. 50 hp to an already 1100 hp engine that would make it no longer suitable for bracket racing?


What Ed stated plus look at it this way, it will help you expose inflated dyno numbers.

For a single carb cast intake bracket motor, many don't make 1.8 HP/CID and 1.9 is a real good piece. To get 1.9 you are taking advantage of all the low hanging fruit! There's none left. Your 1175 HP 582 is over 2.0 HP per CID! A good 632 SR20 makes 1200HP at 7400 rpm, to make that with a 582 your taking 8100 so you would be shifting it at 8500. So the cam and valve train needed to do this is available but now your looking at much higher maintenance and replacement of parts plus a sheet metal intake and two carbs and the list goes on.... not a bracket motor anymore.

Big dyno numbers sell motors, time slip MPH tell you the real HP number and ET is how effective you use the HP.

582 x 1.9 = 1105HP, 632 x 1.9 = 1201HP, that's why there is no substitute for CUBES.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TOP38,
 
Posts: 2146 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
TOP38…Knows!
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Scoop, is your motor done yet. Can you post the dyno numbers. A 582 making 1100 plus is a pretty good piece in mode "BRACKET" as to reasonable cam profile and valve train.
 
Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Typical HP number with SR20 heads on a 582
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you're running 1/8 mile, you gear / converter it for the 1/8 mile.

Otherwise you're monkey see monkey do in not exploring for its et potential.

Should I lead or follow is the better question.
 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tire size,rear gear, and trans gear question

© DragRaceResults.com 2024