New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plug wires
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Have any of you ever seen any kinda difference in performance or power with plug wires? hi resistance vs low resistance? I’ve run a lot of brands over the years but lately have been running a new to me brand that is hi in resistance, all I have used in the past is low… wondering if there’s a differenc…

This message has been edited. Last edited by: seabass,

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1543 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I have done testing on the dyno, they were all "race" wires, so I don't know the resistance. But there is a little bit of HP in wires. I have done A-B-A tests and found a max of 5 hp swapping new wires for new wires. To tell you the truth, I was surprised.

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1307 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
I have done testing on the dyno, they were all "race" wires, so I don't know the resistance. But there is a little bit of HP in wires. I have done A-B-A tests and found a max of 5 hp swapping new wires for new wires. To tell you the truth, I was surprised.

Okay which wires do you like?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
Ok, I have a set of firecore50 wires, and they are my "baseline". MSD is exactly the same HP, most others are really close (1 or 2 hp). The worse and I have done this with 3 different sets (I only do this on race engines), the name begins with a T.
I personally prefer the firecore5o because of how it feels when it attaches to the plug, there is no doubt when it seats on the plug.

PS the plug wires are changed after the engine is completely tuned with the customers wires. Please don't ask me "why" because I don't know, and I have tried to find the "lost" hp with small changes in timing and was unsuccessful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sr4440,

Posts: 1307 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
SR 4440, In you wire testing did you use the same diameter wires in each of the brands..wondering if there were larger diameters of the conducter materials involved..??

Posts: 234 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
SR 4440, In you wire testing did you use the same diameter wires in each of the brands..wondering if there were larger diameters of the conducter materials involved..??

No it wasn't the scientific, I am a dumb@ss dyno driver, the firecore50's are 8.5, the MSD were big 9mm?, the others were all race wire on engines designed to be raced, I would have noticed if they were 7mm wires.

Joe

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
JR, call Mark at Scott wires.
Very informative.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4599 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Many will list a favorite spark plug wire but omit or don’t include the data I want to know.

Take that wire, lay it straight on a table and measure the length. With a meter set to ohms measure the resistance of the wire. What does it measure in resistance per foot?

Joe, have you ever dynode an engine with one ignition control like a 7al2 or lesser, and then switch it to a 7720 Grid to see if any different?

Posts: 2611 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
the wires I was running were 4.5kOHm to 6.1kohm...the ones I have on now, Like in the past , are 60-110 ohm

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1543 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
This is interesting. I’ve always preferred the way Taylor wires positively snap onto the spark plug.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3202 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Many will list a favorite spark plug wire but omit or don’t include the data I want to know.

Take that wire, lay it straight on a table and measure the length. With a meter set to ohms measure the resistance of the wire. What does it measure in resistance per foot?

Joe, have you ever dynode an engine with one ignition control like a 7al2 or lesser, and then switch it to a 7720 Grid to see if any different?

No, I have never done that test, it would be interesting.

The firecore50 are 50ohms per foot

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Pulled motor after Sonoma Nats. I can measure all eight Scott wires and send results..
Hope that helps.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4599 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have been pleased with my Magnecor wires. Horse power difference? Beats me.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5328 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I use the Moroso Ultra 40 race wires from Smileys, they are less than half the price and have never had an issue with them. Supposedly 40 Ohms per foot, I have not measured them to verify.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use the Moroso Ultra 40 race wires from Smileys, they are less than half the price and have never had an issue with them. Supposedly 40 Ohms per foot, I have not measured them to verify.

I have a set of those Moroso under the header model # 27027 from Smileys. They measure “400” ohms per foot. Nothing wrong with wires that have more resistance per foot to a point.

I prefer Grid 7720 over a 7al2/3 not only for programming, but for the substantial increase in mj output.

Posts: 2611 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:

ever ohm them?, thats what I had on it

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Scott wires wrapped,
38” = 100.4 longest
22” = 55.9 shortest

So right at .30 /ft?

Sorry for the delay.
Same wires on the TS GTO.

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Scott lists their wires as “30 Ohm Per Foot High Inductance Wire and Excellent Noise Suppression Characteristics”. That’s perty strong.

MSD 8.5, Firecore50, Moroso Ultra 40 are all 40- 50 ohms per ft.

I’ve run Accel 300+ (150 ohms per ft) and they were every bit as good performance wise as the MSD 8.5 I replaced them with…. maybe even better as far as noise suppression.

I think given the power of Grid 7720 ignition, using a higher resistive wire (up to 5k ohm total) would produce the same performance results in N/A engines. The benefit of greater noise suppression could possibly be the fix to problems some experience in digital ignition. I could be wrong, but that’s what I think

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
We’ve always ran Moroso Shielded wires as well as MSD.
So far I’m happy with Marks wires. I’m not seeing any interference with the V500 or the Grid..

I’m always up for trying something better.

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:

ever ohm them?, thats what I had on it

Magnecor KV85 V5 and R-100 V3 Ignition Cables Specifications- Resistance.....72 ohm per cm, 2.2K ohm per ft. + 10%

Magnecor 8mm ELECTROSPORTS 80 Ignition Lead Specifications- Resistance....98 ohm per cm, 3K ohm per ft. +/- 10%.

Magnecor 7mm ELECTROSPORTS 70 SS Ignition Wire Specifications- Resistance...98.4 ohm per cm, 3K ohm per ft. + 10%