Bracket Talk
SMALL BLOCK ALKY…

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/9747041107

November 17, 2023, 11:29 AM
WHOMPWHOMP
SMALL BLOCK ALKY…
I need to know who the small block ALKY ENGINE MAN in the world is…..
November 18, 2023, 10:14 AM
Goob
Depends on what you're going to do with it. ???

For a short list, I'd probably look at some sprint car engine shops.

A good high compression bracket engine doesn't care what is used for fuel.

Narrow our target area a little???

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
November 18, 2023, 07:30 PM
Bucky
Really aren’t complicated

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
November 18, 2023, 10:55 PM
WHOMPWHOMP
So it’s a very sporty 434’…made 905hp on gas an 880 on alky….yeah I could fix it by switching to gas but that’s not a option…I am cracking pistons at around 215 1/8 mile passes….thinking about coated billet pistons but not sure we’re to start…
November 18, 2023, 11:02 PM
SP 124X
Not sure where you're from but I'm pretty sure I heard your here at loose rocker. What about Chris Wilson?

Denis LeBlanc

November 19, 2023, 06:39 AM
team
Does it have 4032 aluminum alloy pistons in it?
November 19, 2023, 06:43 AM
Bucky
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
So it’s a very sporty 434’…made 905hp on gas an 880 on alky….yeah I could fix it by switching to gas but that’s not a option…I am cracking pistons at around 215 1/8 mile passes….thinking about coated billet pistons but not sure we’re to start…

That's a weird one. How do you catch it when it happens? Where is the crack happening?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
November 19, 2023, 07:19 AM
Curly1
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

I had wrote out a long post to answer some of your questions then I saw this post from you. That motor is making good power as is but your pistons are not lasting as long as they should? You are making over 2 Hp per cubic inch the more power you make the less durable that motor is. Most bracket motors are probably under 2 Hp per cubic inch. I think you are on the right track the problem is most likely piston design or selection for your needs. Looks like everything else is working good for you.

First question are you sure it is not detonating any? That is very hard on pistons and Yes alcohol can detonate.

Second thing is I would talk to several different piston manufacturers and see what they think. Detonation? Too much RPM for that piston design? All out piston designs are very lightweight and not designed for durability.

Third and final thing if your compression is 15 to 1 or more I would consider lowering it to say 14.5. You may lose 15 horsepower or so but double or more life of pistons and I think it makes tuning window better and less sensitive to weather, detonation and other changes.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
November 19, 2023, 07:29 AM
WHOMPWHOMP
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
Not sure where you're from but I'm pretty sure I heard your here at loose rocker. What about Chris Wilson?
Yes I am there…
November 19, 2023, 07:30 AM
WHOMPWHOMP
quote:
Originally posted by team:
Does it have 4032 aluminum alloy pistons in it?
Not exactly sure they are Wiseco..an we thicken um up the last time
November 19, 2023, 07:33 AM
WHOMPWHOMP
Been told by a another engine guy they was cracking pistons on gas an it was from wrist pin flexing…he said they put upgraded wrist pins from that point on…An I do run the dog shyt out of it…double enter every race
November 19, 2023, 08:25 AM
DragRaceResults
quote:
Been told by a another engine guy they was cracking pistons on gas an it was from wrist pin flexing…he said they put upgraded wrist pins from that point on…An I do run the dog shyt out of it…double enter every race

Correct... If you're cracking pistons bosses, the wrist pin is flexing. Period. Been down that road years ago.

www.dragraceresults.com
November 19, 2023, 08:49 AM
Bucky
That's why I was wondering about location as well.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
November 19, 2023, 10:52 AM
DragRaceResults
Let me continue. A lot of times it's not even in the pin boss area, it can be up on the flat or in the quench areas as that is the area that stresses when the pin flexes and moves the boss.

www.dragraceresults.com
November 19, 2023, 10:55 AM
DragRaceResults
From Bell

piston

www.dragraceresults.com
November 19, 2023, 10:55 AM
DragRaceResults
Another from Bell

broken piston

www.dragraceresults.com
November 19, 2023, 10:57 AM
DragRaceResults
It would be nice is Vic Ellinger would also chime in Big Grin

www.dragraceresults.com
November 19, 2023, 11:53 AM
rusty
possible weaking from valve relieif process
piston hitting head
appears piston may not be setup for application including pins and location
just thoughts to consider

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

November 19, 2023, 06:51 PM
67TSCHEVY2
^^^^ ... Sho nuff shiny on the top
November 20, 2023, 06:22 AM
Bucky
Interesting on the location of the cracks with weak pins.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo