DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Securing a window net
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Securing a window net
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am adding a window net to my cage. The shape of the net does not follow the shape of the door bar making attaching the lower edge of the net challenging. Is it legal to use coated cable secured at both ends to secure it to the lower bar? Or maybe attach cable to the end of the tube that runs through the net to secure it on the ends to the door bar? I don't have the SFI standard and all the NHRA/IHRA rulebooks state is that it must be permanently mounted.

Posts: 76 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Why not have a net made to fit your cage?

I could be wrong but I dont think having a large gap bigger than say an inch or so at the base of the net at the door bar would be legal or safe

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
My car has an old man, swingout bar.

The window net attaches at the top with a typical seat belt closure. On the bottom, we used a piece of 3/8" tubing. It attaches to the main hoop with a clevis and bolt. It rotates up and to the swing out using another seat belt clip.

We used a standard square ribbon style net.

The net is inside the swingout.

One more thing, only mesh style window nets need to be recertified or replaced every 2 years.

Ribbon style do not expire unless you run 4.49 or quicker..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomR,

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 777 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Stroud will make a custom net they do really nice work and aren’t over priced

Posts: 413 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Pro_ET
posted Hide Post

Posts: 128 | Location: Div 3 | Registered: December 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I have added a swing out bar with the quick release net from McAmis. It works great and even easier to install.

Posts: 236 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
I have added a swing out bar with the quick release net from McAmis. It works great and even easier to install.

Do you or TomR have any pics of the install with the swingout bar? The main area I would like to see is the release point where the bottom of the net connects to the swingout bar.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:

Do you or TomR have any pics of the install with the swingout bar? The main area I would like to see is the release point where the bottom of the net connects to the swingout bar.

2BKING
Relaxing

Will take a pic tonight.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 777 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Is windwonet required if have funny car style cage in door car? Seems pointless is so.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Just curious. Is windwonet required if have funny car style cage in door car? Seems pointless is so.

Window net needs to extend beyond the elbow.

In an open body, you wear arm restraints.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. Window net must extend to within 2" of the steering wheel per IHRA. I always thought it was to beyond the elbow.

WINDOW NET: If class mandates a roll cage the entry must have an
SFI 27.1 safety net properly attached. Net must be secured on inside
of roll cage at the bottom. The bottom can be attached with a 7/16”
rod through the net, hose clamped to cage. The top may be clipped
to eye bolts installed to roll bar. Net must fasten at the top and be
permanently mounted to bottom. Net must extend forward to within
two inches of the ****hest back portion of the steering wheel.

72 Nova "Hooptie"